• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Seriously considering downsizing and leaving Marion county.
    I have heard that some areas have rural meth lab problems and I don't want that.
    I'm looking for someplace in the country or a small town.
    What s your experience? Where's a good place to live west of Marion County?
    Thanks for your response.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Well, my first choice was Oklahoma but I'm guessing that's too far?

We made a selection west of Indy a few years back. Both still work in the city but putting things in order to get out of Marion Co. We found land was far less $$$ when you got outside the doughnut counties. Close to a major highway system will make commuting easier if you still have to drive in. A lot depends on what you really want, if it's acreage do you want it tillable or recreational? You mentioned downsizing and rural in the same general post? Does that mean you currently have many acres and are looking to only have a few in the future?

We've found that our rural neighbors make the difference! They watch out for you and for your property. You get a phone call, text, IM if they see anyone who isn't familiar to them - surveyors car? Got a message. The gal came out to draw out and sample soil for the septic? Got a text. No matter where you want to settle, get a feel for the people in that community. Grocery shop there. Is the cashier personable? Do you hear people around you referring to each other by name? Go to the gas station and see if the cashier knows her customers by name. How are the patrons at the gas station? Hard working with dirt on their boots or does Bubba have an ankle bracelet? Check out the towns that are in the general area you are starting to look and you will begin to see trends and gather a general idea of what that community might be like. Talk to people. Find the local diner and get chatty, you would be amazed at what you will learn just by listening. You know what you like and where you feel the most comfortable and you will likely find what you are looking for.

If it's west of Indy, try looking in Boone (little expensive), Montgomery, Putnam (Greencastle, Cloverdale, Bainbridge or Roachdale), Owen, Monroe, or Western Brown County (little pricey here, land isn't particularly easy to work, not much tillable or flat parcels).

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I heard a survey this morning that 38% of people who live Indy and are able to work from home are considering moving. Seems like current events are probably playing a big role in that.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm in the same boat. Waiting to hear what the executives decide about working from home for us plebes long term. If they let us do 80% work from home like my executive director has recommended, I'm moving out of Marion County ASAP.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Down here we've almost eradicated the meth labs, most is now brought up from Mexico. We do have standards, too. We require at least two (2) cars on blocks in your yard, and you can't have more than 3/4ths of a set of teeth.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Find someplace where Mayor Hog****t and that worthless mother ****ing piece of **** andre' carson are not eligible for public office.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I generally encourage people to move into town and out of the country. Fewer neighbors generally make better neighbors. :D

Lawrence County (where I’m at) is generally a pretty good place. It does get a fair amount of Bloomington influence as there’s a certain political class here that longs for Bedford to be like Bloomington. There’s some growing controversy surround the school corp here. But generally, I’d rather live here than Bloomington and Indianapolis...much rather.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Seriously considering downsizing and leaving Marion county.
    I have heard that some areas have rural meth lab problems and I don't want that.
    I'm looking for someplace in the country or a small town.
    What s your experience? Where's a good place to live west of Marion County?
    Thanks for your response.

It is true that some places have rural meth labs, but is that worse than the drug dens in Indy? At least with the meth labs you can remain far and far away from them.
    And they won't bother you.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I generally encourage people to move into town and out of the country. Fewer neighbors generally make better neighbors. :D

Lawrence County (where I’m at) is generally a pretty good place. It does get a fair amount of Bloomington influence as there’s a certain political class here that longs for Bedford to be like Bloomington. There’s some growing controversy surround the school corp here. But generally, I’d rather live here than Bloomington and Indianapolis...much rather.
    You’re out where the roads are named after the one guy, who lives on that road!!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Parts of Crawford county are still unexplored!

The southern part of the state below I64 has a completely different vibe than the Indy mess. It’s still kinda Mayberryish down there, I am sitting in East Chicago right now and you would never guess it’s in the same state I reside in.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You’re out where the roads are named after the one guy, who lives on that road!!

That is certainly true. You might know this as I’ve always wondered: Who was Tater Rd named after? It must have been someone pretty important because that’s a long road. :D

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Parts of Crawford county are still unexplored!

The southern part of the state below I64 has a completely different vibe than the Indy mess. It’s still kinda Mayberryish down there, I am sitting in East Chicago right now and you would never guess it’s in the same state I reside in.

Last time I was off the beaten path in Crawford Co. I kept hearing banjos...but then there's areas of Perry Co. I hear banjos also.:):
    Yes, this part of the state is much more like Kentucky (outside of Louisville). Makes sense because the early settlers here came from Kentucky and Virginia, more of a Scots-Irish influence; most of the rest of the state came from Pennsylvania and New York with more English influence.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Yes, rural Indiana is full of meth labs. There’s also no street lights, very scary place I advise not to move out of the city. ;)

Basically you pick your poison. Do you want to live around crack whores or meth heads? Better to stick with the devil you know than the devil you don't. Just sayin'.

Top Bottom