• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    I have one tattoo that would fit on a business card. Black line-work with a small amount of light navy blue shading. I want to be tattoo-free. I should never have gotten it. Does anyone have any experience/tips on current tech laser removal, like costs per session/# of sessions for something like mine?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have had it done. I went to an office that specialized in tattoo removal, with state-of-the-art equipment and a highly-trained professional. Yes, it was more painful than receiving a tattoo, but they used a machine that blew super-cold air on it as the laser was hitting it, and that helped numb it a bit.

It was not entirely successful. There are no guarantees that it will be fully removed. A lot of factors affect how well the ink lifts, including type of ink and how deep it is. In my case, apparently the artist had used an ink that is hard to remove, and he placed it very deep. What ended up happening was that after about six treatments (at $99 each) it simply stopped working. I really wanted it gone, so I got three more treatments just to see if it would get rid of the rest. I ended up developing scar tissue, and once there is scar tissue, the ink is definitely not going anywhere.

So about $900 and a lot of pain later, this is the before and after. I regret even starting the removal procedure, since I'm stuck with a hot mess now. I can put makeup on it temporarily, but it still does not conceal it all because of the scar tissue.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Just curious here, but why would you want it removed if you decided to get it? I have a couple, but I knew they were forever when i got them. I know in some cases people get a wife’s name or whatever, so that I could sorta understand, but why a regular tat? Just genuinely curious is all, never known anyone personally who’s done it so finding out why some do want to is intriguing

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Can't remember where I saw/heard it, maybe just a joke. Tattoo artist got tired of covering up tattoos with an ex-wife/girlfriend's name. He started a dating service where he would find you a new woman with the same name. Jim.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just curious here, but why would you want it removed if you decided to get it? I have a couple, but I knew they were forever when i got them. I know in some cases people get a wife’s name or whatever, so that I could sorta understand, but why a regular tat? Just genuinely curious is all, never known anyone personally who’s done it so finding out why some do want to is intriguing
    When I got it, I had been in academia for nearly 25 years and did not think I was going anywhere. I made a last-minute decision to put it on my forearm rather than my bicep, which proved to be a big mistake when I got downsized and ended up working in health care. After about three years of having to wear long-sleeved t-shirts under my scrub top or polo, I finally decided to get it removed. I'm always hot anyway, and wearing the t-shirts was killing me.

In hindsight, I would have kept the tattoo and dealt with it, considering that I only ended up working another year or two. I've actually considered getting the same one placed somewhere else, but I'm getting too old and just don't GAF any more.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    When I got it, I had been in academia for nearly 25 years and did not think I was going anywhere. I made a last-minute decision to put it on my forearm rather than my bicep, which proved to be a big mistake when I got downsized and ended up working in health care. After about three years of having to wear long-sleeved t-shirts under my scrub top or polo, I finally decided to get it removed. I'm always hot anyway, and wearing the t-shirts was killing me.

In hindsight, I would have kept the tattoo and dealt with it, considering that I only ended up working another year or two. I've actually considered getting the same one placed somewhere else, but I'm getting too old and just don't GAF any more.

I was wondering if it was because of a business setting. I figured in today’s day and age nobody cared about tattoos anymore, unless it was really vulgar or something considered offensive. I see about everyone with tattoos now, from cops to emt’s to the owner of our company, which is a 60 year old woman lol. They’re just so common now I don’t see why people make people cover them up

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    For submittal:

1. It’s on my shoulder, a simple T-shirt conceals it, business card size.

2. It’s ~10 years old and somewhat faded.

3. I got it on a whim and I have regretted my decision for getting it about as long as I’ve had it.

4. A cover-up is not an option, tattoo free is the goal.

5. I thought I read you should go about eight weeks between sessions possibly longer yields better results.

I get it, they are a deeply personal thing for some people, but not for me. I have never had even the slightest inclination to get another. In a way, I don’t understand them.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It sounds like yours might come off better than mine. I did wait 8 weeks between sessions. It took me almost two years to get it to the point that it is now. Another factor for me is that I'm diabetic, and my system did not flush out the ink as well as a non-diabetic.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    Another factor for me is that I'm diabetic, and my system did not flush out the ink as well as a non-diabetic.

Oh, that I did not know. I'm doing as much research as I can so I can get the best results. I'm wondering if the longer you wait between sessions the less likely you are to scar. Either way, I've been waiting for over a year to start this and now with the current zeitgeist of the world... yay!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've had several removed. Not too bad of an experience until they 'frost' over. The hardest one to get gone was done by Tiger Jimmy. He inked it in deep.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A fair amount of people regret at some point getting a tattoo(s). I talked to my dermatologist one day about them. They do removals but she said it is difficult and painful and results like snapdragons are not uncommon.

A neighbor of mine tried to remove a large tattoo that was on the front of her thigh. It covered almost all of her quad. After many treatments, it ended up looking like a very faded tattoo or maybe some kind of skin discoloration.

I think I would rather live with the tattoo. But I hear you. You want it gone. Just understand you may end up with something that looks like a skin disorder vs art.

I was against tattoos for most of my life. At 60 (turned 60(or is it 61):) this past December), I got my first one in February just before COVID.

I will probably get more, but I figure, WTH at my age, "permanence" is not as long as a 20-something getting inked.:):

Top Bottom