• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Just curious about what people have done and if it worked or not.

I've got traps up and have been shooting them. But there always seems to be one or two around.

Has anyone successfully cleared their property of groundhogs? What have you tried and did it work?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne

Thanks for sharing that link, I gave it a full read-through and there some some 'creative' ideas there. Less using tractor exhaust or a battery and steel wool with gasoline I've tried most of them. Don't know if I'm ready to move to gasoline just yet... I imagine if I brought down an irrigation ditch it wouldn't end well for me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for sharing that link, I gave it a full read-through and there some some 'creative' ideas there. Less using tractor exhaust or a battery and steel wool with gasoline I've tried most of them. Don't know if I'm ready to move to gasoline just yet... I imagine if I brought down an irrigation ditch it wouldn't end well for me.

I don't have a groundhog problem, so I can't say if the ideas presented were good ones or not. :): I just knew that there were people in there that shared the same concerns as you.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I don't have problems here but people I know have. Its going to an ongoing problem unless you clean them out of the surrounding area also. They like to move around some, and then the young will move into new areas also. Eventually they'll be back.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    For me it just kind of depends. I've use shotgun, rifle, gas bombs, and crescent wrench, all have worked. I have soybean fields that are close to housing developments and the gas bombs do to job. I have found with those, that the deeper in the hole you locate the cartridge the better. So, I tape one or two to a stick, replace the short fuse with a longer cannon fuse and work it down into the hole then light it and when I can hear that the gas cartridges ignite close the hole up. But make sure the ground hog is in there and close up any other hole first. Locating the cartridge deeper in the hole has improved their effectiveness for me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For me it just kind of depends. I've use shotgun, rifle, gas bombs, and crescent wrench, all have worked. I have soybean fields that are close to housing developments and the gas bombs do to job. I have found with those, that the deeper in the hole you locate the cartridge the better. So, I tape one or two to a stick, replace the short fuse with a longer cannon fuse and work it down into the hole then light it and when I can hear that the gas cartridges ignite close the hole up. But make sure the ground hog is in there and close up any other hole first. Locating the cartridge deeper in the hole has improved their effectiveness for me.

What size? Metric or SAE? What about an adjustable? ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Find the two holes, when the wind is blowing down their line put gasoline in the up wind hole then walk to the downwind hole. Wait a few minutes the pour some gas in the down wind hole and ignite. When you feel the thump under your feet, it's over.

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    Find the two holes, when the wind is blowing down their line put gasoline in the up wind hole then walk to the downwind hole. Wait a few minutes the pour some gas in the down wind hole and ignite. When you feel the thump under your feet, it's over.

Years ago a neighbor did the same thing on his farm, seemed to work well. That is until one time he did this and was knocked flat on his face. He did the gasoline thing as you described and when he threw the match in and down he went. Maybe he was a little more generous with the gas, I don't know, but it went boom and a skunk was blown out of the hole he was near and that is what knocked him to the ground and his wife did make him sleep in the barn that night.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You kill em all on your spot and others will move in.
    Hit em hard in the spring before they have pups.

If you have coyotes or a good domestic dog around, should keep em pretty thinned out

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gotta knock down the population first.
    Once down predators keep it down.
    That why groundhog hunting sucks now.
    You shoot down an area and yotes keep it down.
    Aint worth it after that

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Ive killed 4 so far with the conibear trap this year. Thought I was okay and saw a new one last night. No matter how many I kill new ones eventually show up.

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne

I have not tried gas bombs, thanks for the idea.

sempifi99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    Ive killed 4 so far with the conibear trap this year. Thought I was okay and saw a new one last night. No matter how many I kill new ones eventually show up.

I've been using those too, they work well but like you said and this is my problem, more keep showing up.

Top Bottom