• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I didn’t get the stupid virus, but this morning I went to work as normal to get terminated for reasons of business slowdown due to the dumb virus. My company doesn’t care that I have three kids and a wife to support but whatever.
    ive been a trim/finish carpenter for almost 10 years and if anyone needs any carpentry work done I’m starting my own business. Will be insured and everything.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sorry to hear about the misfortune friend.

Somebody with better search-fu than I will be along soon with a link to our "have work/need work" thread.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wish you the best of luck.
    With 10 years experience, you should be able to do good work.
    Your biggest issue will be building your name and reputation.

If at all possible, try to contact some of the people/businesses you did work for and ask them if you can use them as references.
    It was difficult at first for me, but once things got rolling...
    I can, an do, now boast to people about my references.
    "Sure, I have references from school teachers, business owners, attorneys, police officers, pastors, doctors...and the list goes on.

There is work in the construction field right now.
    Start beating down the doors at construction sites, tell everyone who will listen what you are doing.

Print some business cards! Go to www.vistaprint.com. I think you can still get like 500 business cards printed for $20.
    (WOW! Prices went up! 100 cards for $15. Still pretty cheap)
    Once you get the cards, leave them on the bulletin boards at restaurants, grocery stores, laundry mats, gas stations...
    Hand a few cards out to your local real estate agents. They are always looking for help with carpentry workers.

I've been where you are, except for the family.
    It was scary enough for me.

Work hard, be honest in your business dealings, and treat people right.
    Word of mouth can make or break a business.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My buddy works for the state and does something with unemployment. I'm not exactly sure what, but he's a guy that can help things move along. If you need assistance PM me.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sorry for the hardship, although hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Working for yourself gives a lot of freedom and opens a lot of doors of possibility.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sorry to hear about this.

My son lost his job in March because his tourism-related workplace had to shut down and now, even though they are open, the recovery is slow and they have not hired him back, but he recently got a job offer.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Sorry to hear. I recently found myself wanting out of my current job, and being that I have 30+ years of carpentry/fabrication experience, I was hired by the first place I went to. You’ll do fine. The building trades are always gonna be here for the people who want to do it.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    I work for a self performing General contractor. We specialize in industrial and heavy civil. Our bridge division, along with any other bridge contractor in the state right now, is always looking for good carpenters. It may not be trim carpentry but it pays well.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Sorry to hear this.....but when one door slams, another opens. Been a very strange year for me. I started March with 8-10 signed contracts, by 2 weeks later they were all postponed....and I had no work for a couple of months. Then in May the gates opened up and I did all them jobs, plus some. I have noticed it has slowed down a lot for me again...but as more people get unemployed, it makes my work harder to get because I am competing with people who underbid everything, just to get work.

To be honest, this year has sucked! I can't wait to forget about the year 2020. Now we have games being played with unemployment....I am worried numbers will just keep rising, and my fear is now with no pandemic bonus many people who really need it will be without, but if they give it to everyone nobody will want to work. They better get it figured out, and quickly.....or things could go South very fast.

We ran out of treated lumber months ago, so you cant build decks, fences, pole barns, etc.......now we are starting to run out of vinyl siding and shingles. You can still order it, but sometimes it takes 6-8 weeks or longer to get the special order materials. New homes are still being built at record pace though, just hope we don't start seeing people losing homes....or that could start a hell of a snowball downhill. Sorry I sound so optimistic.....but I don't have a lot of faith in DC to get us pulled together. I am hoping by Spring 2021 we will all be happier and it will bring us all a fresh start.

OP, You will find work though, those who want to work always find a way. Wishing you the best.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I didn’t get the stupid virus, but this morning I went to work as normal to get terminated for reasons of business slowdown due to the dumb virus. My company doesn’t care that I have three kids and a wife to support but whatever.
    ive been a trim/finish carpenter for almost 10 years and if anyone needs any carpentry work done I’m starting my own business. Will be insured and everything.

Can you frame and do room additions or are you more of interior trim, cabinets and such? PM me your info if you would like and I will keep you in mind if I get anything. I am more of an exterior guy, but I get calls from people needing cabinets, trim, entertainment centers, etc.

Top Bottom