• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    My daughter does travel softball. We were talking about ways to raise money and different donators we would have. One of the things we discussed was raffling off an ar15. Has anyone ever done this? Kinda looking for the good and bad of it before we decide to do it.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I've seen veterans groups do gun raffles as prizes many times and have one a 1911 in a raffle before. It was just like receiving a trasfer at a ffl on my end to receive it. I dont see why it would be a problem.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Sad to say but you would probably stir up quite the political poop storm with raffling a scary black gun(no I’m not racist) in this environment.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Not a lawyer but raffles are considered gambling in Indiana and require a license. When they started enforcing this there were some sneaky work-arounds such as the winner didn't get a prize but the opportunity to answer a trivia question. This theoretically removed it from a game of chance to a game of skill. Of course the trivia question was something like "What do the letters N R A stand for".

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Not a lawyer but raffles are considered gambling in Indiana and require a license. When they started enforcing this there were some sneaky work-arounds such as the winner didn't get a prize but the opportunity to answer a trivia question. This theoretically removed it from a game of chance to a game of skill. Of course the trivia question was something like "What do the letters N R A stand for".
    winner winner chicken dinner. It is considered gaming and needs a permit from the state. If you try and get a permit as a non profit you have to be incorporated in the state for a minimum of 3 years before you can even apply for the permit.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have to +3 the raffling of a firearm.

I personally would be okay with it, but I can all but guarantee it will end up being nothing by trouble.

Raffle something more neutral. Heck, you could do a gift card to Academy Sports or some other sporting goods store that sells firearms along with bats and gloves. What the winner chooses to spend the winnings on is his/her business.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I print a lot of raffle tickets for various organizations, but I don't really know the law. I believe the prize valuations are a factor on if you need a license, as well as what type of organization is sponsoring. I would check with the state gaming commission on specifics. Possibly, for a one-time raffle, you might not need anything. As mentioned above, the transfer would need to go through the NCIS background check.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have to +3 the raffling of a firearm.

I personally would be okay with it, but I can all but guarantee it will end up being nothing by trouble.

Raffle something more neutral. Heck, you could do a gift card to Academy Sports or some other sporting goods store that sells firearms along with bats and gloves. What the winner chooses to spend the winnings on is his/her business.

This is how the Shriners do it as I recall in their annual Sportsmans gun raffle. (at least in the past)
    They partner with a gun store.
    They determine which guns to raffle.
    They then purchase one gift certificate for each gun's cost including tax.

When you win you you are handed the gift certificate and have the choice of walking out of that store with the free gun (after the 4473 clears), or you have the option of spending that gift card on other items in the store if you choose.

Thats a great system. Maybe I won the Browning but I really wanted a Mossberg? I could take the money and apply it to what I REALLY wanted, not what I won. And they dont have to worry about handling/storing the guns or any of that aspect.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The gun really isn't the problem, just have to be of age and pass a background check to recieve prize from gun shop of your choice. The biggest problem as has been stated before is having a gaming license from the state. You pretty much have to be a non profit organization registered with the IRS to get a license. I am part of a conservation club that does multiple raffles and other gaming activities every year

Top Bottom