• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I've been using a 2 cup single serve flow through cone filter gizmo like this to fill my travel mug.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HXGDZGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The wife has been using a french press to brew her coffee.

Both of the above scenarios involve nuking water so its still kind of a PITA, and probably not the most efficient use of electricity.

She has been recently diagnosed with high cholesterol. One warning about coffee consumption is using mesh filters instead of paper filters allows chemicals in the coffee to exacerbate your cholesterol issues. The paper filters trap those chemicals and make coffee healthier for those with cholesterol issues. So its time for us BOTH to use filters since her french press isnt good for her.

And we want to be able to make a pot when we have family over. (not a hard requirement. We can buy a second cheap pot for those events... like 2x a year)

So now I'm on the hunt for a coffee maker that wont break the bank and isnt so cheap we have to buy repeatedly.

Here are my requirements:

-K cups are out of the picture and a solid nope. The cups are wasteful and stupid expensive. Even with the refillable baskets they are a PITA. So no. Just no. I've tried them at work. (the linky above is my solution to avoiding them)
    -MUST use paper filters in a basket with no proprietary stuff needed. (like coffee filled pods or cups) cone or basket filters only.
    -I'd like one that I can direct brew into a tall travel mug AND a carafe so I dont have to wash a carafe every time. (once again, no K cups or refillable baskets)
    -Don't really feel like spending hundreds of dollars since we dont use it daily.
    -Don't need frothers, or other fancy gizmos because we just drink hot coffee and not fraps, caps, espressos, etc.

So what says INGO? Any suggestions?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Do the usual: get on Amazon, look at pricepoints and reviews that match your requirements, and then buy it.

That, or find a closer brick/mortar that will sell the same to you.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Our Ninja coffee maker died on us earlier this year after 4 or 5 faithful years of service (not bad if you ask me). Recently I found myself in a position looking for a replacement matching a lot of your criteria, mainly being the ability to brew directly into various sized receptacles from a mug up to a full carafe. That being said I found 2 realistic options that fit the bill, ironically both from Ninja.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ninja-10-cup-coffee-maker-black-stainless-steel/6346475.p?skuId=6346475

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ninja-...black-stainless-steel/6368983.p?skuId=6368983

Ultimately for the meager price difference of $20 we went the the more expensive Ninja CP301 in part because I liked the idea of being able to brew a "semi-quick" cold brew coffee (Which actually turns out pretty good might I add). We've only had it for 2 or 3 weeks now but have been very satisfied with it, we each use it a few times a week and all has been well so far. Hope this helps!

portercounty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Porter County
    Ninja makes coffee makers?!?! Where have I been living?? Anything Ninja gets my vote. I use my Ninja Pro blender multiple times a day and I love it. Sounds like the Ninja coffee maker is gonna be headed in my direction come birthday time.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Ninja makes coffee makers?!?! Where have I been living?? Anything Ninja gets my vote. I use my Ninja Pro blender multiple times a day and I love it. Sounds like the Ninja coffee maker is gonna be headed in my direction come birthday time.

Hell yea! Like I said, my first one lasted 4 years give or take so it only made sense to go with another Ninja. They're definitely not cheap, in the $150-$200 range but I think it's worth it depending on how much you use your coffee maker.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do the usual: get on Amazon, look at pricepoints and reviews that match your requirements, and then buy it.

Buying local if possible is my plan. But getting suggestions (and warnings against) from folks who have actually used one of these choices is my goal.

And we've got one of the ninja blenders. Its pretty good. Only complaint is the plastic pitcher isnt aging well. A deep stress crack has formed. Not leaking yet but its obvious that the plastic mix wasnt proper. And glancing at replacements, the pitcher costs almost as much as a whole new kit. So I might as well buy a whole new one so I also get to refresh the motor and blades.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Another option is this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DMBYH4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

More expensive, but has lots of options. If you want to try before you buy, I'd let you borrow mine to test it out. I love mine, but due to time constraints I've fallen back to using my Keurig more and more, so the Breville just sits. If you want to test something that's higher end without having to buy anything, you can borrow it, my grinder and scale if you'd like, just PM me to let me know.

Alternatively, you can buy a fairly inexpensive goose neck kettle like this and a pourover cone like this and just use that method to brew your coffee. Seems pretty popular, though a bit time consuming.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Working from home due to Covid recently made me buy a new coffee maker. Previously, I drank the coffee provided at the office through the week and on the weekends my wife and I always used a French Press or a pour over coffee maker. I wanted something that made excellent coffee and didn't break the bank. A stainless carafe was also something I wanted because I hate burnt coffee.

I ended up buying the Bonavita model in the link below. I paid $107 for it on Amazon and currently it looks like it is up to $114. Look it up on YouTube and you can see some reviews that compare it to more expensive models. Since we bought it, we haven't used the French Press or pour over to make coffee. We've been very happy with the purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PFMRGX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I use a Bunn 10 cup pour over. Makes great coffee in about 3 minutes. You can make 2-10 cups. The only downside is I recommend using Bunn filters, otherwise grounds end up in your brew.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's what we use for pots of coffee on weekends. Had ours for a year and does what it is supposed to, make coffee.

+3 on the Cuisinart but I'm not sure if you can stick a travel mug under it.

I have your same set up; pour over for me, french press for wife. I like the pour over due to it's minimalist approach and it makes a great cup of coffee. (drinking one now!). I also like the french press but there are so many variables with it so it goes against my minimalist lifestyle. I make it for my wife since it will make enough for 3 days worth for her.

And lastly I use the Cuisinart when company comes. It makes good coffee, has the paper filter and even has a timer that you can set to start brewing at any time you choose if you want.

Mine doesn't see a lot of use but I bought the same model for my in-laws probably 5-6 years ago and they use it daily and it's still working fine.

If it wasn't for visitors I wouldn't bother with a brewer.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gave any thought to simple cold brewing?

Maybe just keep the working jar in the fridge. Every day, start a new batch for tommorow.

Pour through a cone filter (possibly used more than once?) Then nuked as you want it?

I'm no chemist, but it might be that the collesteral issues don't happen at all, without heat being part of the brewing process?

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've been using one of these for years to brew up to 12 ozs at a time, cheap,simple no frolls drip brew and it makes a surprisingly good cup. Keurigs always taste like plastic to me. I use a paper filter in it rather than just the included mesh filter because it makes better coffee and makes clean up a snap. #1s fit perfectly but have also used the 8-12 cup basket filters twisted to fit the space when the grocery didn't have #1s. Recommend unbleached

https://www.biglots.com/product/bre...VEInICh0QtgtREAQYAyABEgL8AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've been using one of these for years to brew up to 12 ozs at a time, cheap,simple no frolls drip brew and it makes a surprisingly good cup. Keurigs always taste like plastic to me. I use a paper filter in it rather than just the included mesh filter because it makes better coffee and makes clean up a snap. #1s fit perfectly but have also used the 8-12 cup basket filters twisted to fit the space when the grocery didn't have #1s. Recommend unbleached

https://www.biglots.com/product/bre...VEInICh0QtgtREAQYAyABEgL8AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

We had one of those (in generic form) for like 5 years. Spent a whopping $10 on it. It was awesome.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Price has apparently gone up about 55% :runaway:

That B&D sticker costs money! Mine was the generic walmart house brand. Proctor Silex?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Hell yea! Like I said, my first one lasted 4 years give or take so it only made sense to go with another Ninja. They're definitely not cheap, in the $150-$200 range but I think it's worth it depending on how much you use your coffee maker.
    My wife has a rule, $1.00 a use. There are chances for coffee to be brewed 1095 times per yr using 3 brews a day. You more than got your moneys worth in her book.:yesway:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Even though I don't drink coffee, I do drink hot tea. The late Mrs. IBM bought me a Ninja Specialty brewer because of it's different brewing types and amounts.

I love it except for one thing. Mine is one that has the constant clean problem comng on. I ran a 4 hour clean cycle on it Sunday evening, Today (Thursday morning) The clean cycle light came back on.
    I brew 21 ounces a day, there has been times I have wanted to toss it in the trash because of this, but it's versatility is worth the headache. I just didn't agree with the price point it was when she bought it for me.

Top Bottom