• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    [FONT=&amp]So yesterday was my 30th birthday and I realized this morning after I polished off my bottle of Weller 12 [/FONT](I work nights so I got home at 330am, don't judge me)[FONT=&amp] while watching "Neat: The Story of Bourbon" (Excellent documentary if you're a bourbon fan) that in the past 2 weeks or so I've finished 3 bottles from my collection but haven't bought any in a few months. That being said I'm on a mission this weekend to find some good stuff, any recommendations for stores that usually stock or sometimes have harder to find bottles? (Weller, Blantons, Eagle Rare, etc, etc). Thanks for the input!

Here's a picture of my humble bar cart that's a bit more empty as of current
    [/FONT] View attachment 89547

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The ones you mentioned are hard to find everywhere. There isn’t going to be one location where you can walk in and find those. Bigger chains do get more bottles generally, but it’s still hit-and-miss whether you’ll be there on the right day. The best bet is to become a good, regular customer and build a relationship with your local store. Eventually you can let them know you’re interested in those bottles, and maybe they’ll hold one back for you.

Rural Inn in Indianapolis is a great bourbon spot if you’re looking for a big selection and lots of store picks. They also do get shipments of the ones you mentioned and will do “free” raffles. Basically, every bottle you buy from them earns you an entry. Last month they did a raffle for Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, and some store pick Buffalo Trace. I drew for the BT, and ended up buying some Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof while I was there. They posted recently that they got some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Batch B520 that they’re selling at MSRP. I may make a trip over this week!

The bourbon world has exploded in the past 5 years, so a lot of people are looking for the same bottles. Some places, like Rural Inn, will give you samples of things to try. My opinion is there are so many great distillers now that it’s kinda silly to chase unicorn bottles and pay outrageous markups. If you liked the Weller SR, try Larceny. Weller is slightly better, but not enough to make a big difference. You can find Larceny (sometimes Larceny Full Proof) any day of the week.

Last edited:

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    The ones you mentioned are hard to find everywhere. There isn’t going to be one location where you can walk in and find those. Bigger chains do get more bottles generally, but it’s still hit-and-miss whether you’ll be there on the right day. The best bet is to become a good, regular customer and build a relationship with your local store. Eventually you can let them know you’re interested in those bottles, and maybe they’ll hold one back for you.

Rural Inn in Indianapolis is a great bourbon spot if you’re looking for a big selection and lots of store picks. They also do get shipments of the ones you mentioned and will do “free” raffles. Basically, every bottle you buy from them earns you an entry. Last month they did a raffle for Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, and some store pick Buffalo Trace. I drew for the BT, and ended up buying some Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Proof while I was there. They posted recently that they got some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Batch B520 that they’re selling at MSRP. I may make a trip over this week!

The bourbon world has exploded in the past 5 years, so a lot of people are looking for the same bottles. Some places, like Rural Inn, will give you samples of things to try. My opinion is there are so many great distillers now that it’s kinda silly to chase unicorn bottles and pay outrageous markups. If you liked the Weller SR, try Larceny. Weller is slightly better, but not enough to make a big difference. You can find Larceny (sometimes Larceny Full Proof) any day of the week.

Oh yea, I know they're difficult to find and I know being able to find any of them retail is a complete crap shoot/luck. I've heard a lot about Rural Inn and a lot of those other stores up in Indy however I'm in Columbus and that's a bit of a hike for me but will probably check out those shops next time I'm in the city for the 1500 or something (Whenever that may be). I've actually only had the Weller 12 which I do love but it is impossible to find retail and it's getting more expensive on the secondary market, I just wanna try the rest of the Weller's to see if I like them (Special Reserve, Antique 107, CYPB, Full Proof, and Single Barrel) but I will have to give that Larceny a shot, I did see a bunch of it around. I did get lucky on Thursday, I hit up I think 6 or 8 different liquor stores in and around Greenwood, ended up finding a bottle of Blantons and a bottle of Eagle Rare, neither of which were on the shelf (Never hurts to ask whether you see a spot on the shelf or not).

View attachment 89702

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not a short trip for you, but there's a store in Danville, Illinois called the Blue Store. I don't know how they do it but they always seem to have stuff that nobody else has and sell it for reasonable prices.

Our son lives in Kansas City so I stop in whenever he go visit him.

I am always surprised to hear that people can't find Eagle Rare. My local grocery store seems to always have it on the self, and often has it on sale for $27.

A couple recommendations for you; Angel's Envy rye is amazing, and I'm not a rye guy. It's also pretty easy to find and runs about $80. Michter's American Whiskey is one I have trouble finding, not like Blanton's or Weller trouble, just not that common. It's my favorite Michter's product and much cheaper than some of my other favorite's, about $40.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Not a short trip for you, but there's a store in Danville, Illinois called the Blue Store. I don't know how they do it but they always seem to have stuff that nobody else has and sell it for reasonable prices.

I am always surprised to hear that people can't find Eagle Rare. My local grocery store seems to always have it on the self, and often has it on sale for $27.

A couple recommendations for you; Angel's Envy rye is amazing, and I'm not a rye guy. It's also pretty easy to find and runs about $80. Michter's American Whiskey is one I have trouble finding, not like Blanton's or Weller trouble, just not that common. It's my favorite Michter's product and much cheaper than some of my other favorite's, about $40.

I've heard a lot of people talk about The Blue Store, ill need to check it out one day. My local grocery store has a tag and slot for Eagle Rare but it's never there so maybe my timing is just bad? Will have to keep an eye out for that Angel's Envy and Michter's American.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Village Bottle Shoppe in the Lafayette, West Lafayette area or Bedrock Liquors usually has the hard to find labels. Might be worth a call.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013

I was talking to a liquor distributor this weekend. He knows I like Michters and I always ***** to him about not being able to find it. He says I can get it anywhere!

I told him it isn't ever at any of the places I stop to buy, but they do have the Rye and Bourbon and occasionally the Sour Mash. He said he's get me a case. I praying he does.

He and I also think that Michter's 10 year Rye is as good as it gets.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    in the past few years I have not seen anywhere in Indiana offering Weller except for a lottery.
    I have better luck in Illinois and Kentucky, but you have to get lucky and be there the day they get the delivery.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Treasure that Taylor -- it's basically impossible to find now along with everything else.

We've been doing Bardstown Fusion #2 laterly (the 60/btl one, not the 120 btl ones) and it's the closest to Taylor we've been able to actually find on the shelves. Wise Guy's generally has it in stock it seems.

[FONT=&amp]So yesterday was my 30th birthday and I realized this morning after I polished off my bottle of Weller 12 [/FONT](I work nights so I got home at 330am, don't judge me)[FONT=&amp] while watching "Neat: The Story of Bourbon" (Excellent documentary if you're a bourbon fan) that in the past 2 weeks or so I've finished 3 bottles from my collection but haven't bought any in a few months. That being said I'm on a mission this weekend to find some good stuff, any recommendations for stores that usually stock or sometimes have harder to find bottles? (Weller, Blantons, Eagle Rare, etc, etc). Thanks for the input!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you're over for the 1500, there's a vast store called Kahn's just a few blocks up Keystone. It's on the east side of the road, so it'll be on the right.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have yet to see a bottle of Taylor in the wild.

For a good daily drinker, Evan Williams Single Barrel is hard to beat.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area

Cork's in Columbus by 65 used to have EHT Small Batch all the time but I haven't seen it since probably last fall or winter or so.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    When it started getting scarce about a year ago my lady and I stocked up, but the stocks are running low and we haven't seen any in for ever.

If any of you like Rye I cannot recommend the 18th st. distillery 2 year rye enough at the ~45/btl it normally sells for. It's utterly amazing. They did a barrel proof very spendy bottling that I splashed out on a bit back -- Really spent too much on it but it was one of the best whiskeys I've ever had.

The regular 2 year though is shockingly good -- really cool that it's made here.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    When it started getting scarce about a year ago my lady and I stocked up, but the stocks are running low and we haven't seen any in for ever.

If any of you like Rye I cannot recommend the 18th st. distillery 2 year rye enough at the ~45/btl it normally sells for. It's utterly amazing. They did a barrel proof very spendy bottling that I splashed out on a bit back -- Really spent too much on it but it was one of the best whiskeys I've ever had.

The regular 2 year though is shockingly good -- really cool that it's made here.

I had a glass at their Indy location. I was pleasantly surprised.

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Oh yea, I know they're difficult to find and I know being able to find any of them retail is a complete crap shoot/luck. I've heard a lot about Rural Inn and a lot of those other stores up in Indy however I'm in Columbus and that's a bit of a hike for me but will probably check out those shops next time I'm in the city for the 1500 or something (Whenever that may be). I've actually only had the Weller 12 which I do love but it is impossible to find retail and it's getting more expensive on the secondary market, I just wanna try the rest of the Weller's to see if I like them (Special Reserve, Antique 107, CYPB, Full Proof, and Single Barrel) but I will have to give that Larceny a shot, I did see a bunch of it around. I did get lucky on Thursday, I hit up I think 6 or 8 different liquor stores in and around Greenwood, ended up finding a bottle of Blantons and a bottle of Eagle Rare, neither of which were on the shelf (Never hurts to ask whether you see a spot on the shelf or not).

View attachment 89702

Thought they took down the secondary market? Trying to sell / trade some Old Barterhouse myself but it looks like those markets are gone now?!?

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers

I got Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Weller Special Reserve I'd trade for some small pistol primers.

...heck, at this right I have a kidney I might trade for some of those too!!!

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Thought they took down the secondary market? Trying to sell / trade some Old Barterhouse myself but it looks like those markets are gone now?!?
    in the past few years I have not seen anywhere in Indiana offering Weller except for a lottery.
    I have better luck in Illinois and Kentucky, but you have to get lucky and be there the day they get the delivery.
    Weller Special Reserve? Usually $80 on secondary.

Top Bottom