• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After seeing it happen all over the world, it finally happened in Fort Wayne and I saw it (at least the aftermath).

A flatbed wrecker carrying a box truck was wedged solid under the Clinton St. viaduct!
    The driver was walking around trying to figure out how to get out of that mess.

[video=youtube;USu8vT_tfdw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu8vT_tfdw[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That street is getting dangerous.

Just yesterday there was a semi parked in the wrong direction (one way street) with an HD on it's side about 10 yards in front of it.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Height restrictions include your load folks, not just your truck/trailer height.

Remember elementary school when we learned how to add?
    Oh, no? I guess we skipped that part and just gave ya' a 50% anyway.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I worked in Pinehurst NC, and there was a railroad bridge that ran over a dip in the road. a straight truck could make it OK, but a trailer could not.

The trick was to let air out of the tires, drive slowly under and then call a service truck for air.

I had to reroute one time because of all of the confusion.

Which reminds me of the guy that got a flat in front of a mental institution.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Common occurrence in Chicago around the rail yards with idiots pulling rail containers.

I was our company driver trainer at our Indpls. Hub Group yard. I gave each employee and contractor detailed maps with directions to and back from each rail yard that guaranteed no bridge contact.
    Out of Indy we fired employees or terminated contract carries at least 15 times while I was there.

Those aluminum box trucks are nothing like when a steel reinforced container box with aluminum roofs hits a low bridge. Those containers are designed to stack another one on top with 30,000+ pounds in it.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I bet the police in the city where the video is from have pre-filled out copies that say the same thing and are just rubber stamped with the officers name. Just by watching it, the report wouldn’t deviate from one to the next.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Over by Printcraft's place was a notorious Kokomo viaduct. By the jail too. Both gone now but the stories...

I pulled up on the aftermath of one. The truck driver was heading west toward Dixon, got past the jail, and peeled off a massive band saw off his trailer. Sad thing is, if he would have turned left on Park, his delivery was at that steel fab shop right by Duke energy.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You would think that with the number of times that bridge has been hit, the people in charge of the road would lower it to give proper clearance? This was done with I-65 near Lebanon several years ago because many truckers would stop on the interstate to verify clearance, itself causing a hazard. If I remember the bridge correctly it was one inch or so above federal mimimum limits.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Back in the early 'Oughts, I saw the aftermath of a CAR CARRIER, fully loaded with shiney new Subarus, hit the underside of 465, on Indy's east side, at Washington St. Apparently when he'd dropped a vehicle or two off at Rohrman there at Wash / Shortridge, he forgot to put everything back down into travel mode. So one of the cars hit the I-beam and shoved it back, and that vehicle then hit the one behind it and that one fell off completely.

There was a pile of windshield glass on that I-beam lip for several years. I used to point it out to people.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    The second trucking company I got hired at had the opening due to a low clearance bridge in Indianapolis.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    There's a railway bridge over Grand Ave. Just south of O'Hare that has a bump under it that has apparently been there forever and seems to survive repaving. I was hauling bulk flour and was told if you go under it at the posted speed limit you would bounce just enough to hit the porthole cover on top of the last hopper. Had to slow down to about half the limit to keep from bouncing no matter if you were loaded or not.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The railroad crosses over Raceway Road just south of 36 in Avon. The clearance is 10' 6" and was built in 1906. By the battle scars you can see some must've been 12'. A few years back a box truck sheered off the entire roof.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The railroad crosses over Raceway Road just south of 36 in Avon. The clearance is 10' 6" and was built in 1906. By the battle scars you can see some must've been 12'. A few years back a box truck sheered off the entire roof.

Yup, that one's a winner.

Two Bridgws in Indy are collectors, Sherman St. just south of Washingtom by the old Marsh Building. About 8 years ago when I worked for Monarch we had a guy peal the front 8 foot of the roof back on a refrigerated 30 footer, had a 1000 cases of non-returnable bottles on it. lost about 500, the trailer had to be but out.

Another collector is the bridge by Emerich Manual High School on East Pleasant Run Parkway North. it's 10'2" if I remember correctly.

The bridge on 136 as you're coming onto Clermont, it's a 13'6", IN THE MIDDLE of the lane, lol. You hang to the right a tad too much and you'll get taken out by the arch.

Top Bottom