• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I thought about posting this in the hot rod thread, but it would be easier to manage here.

1967 Chevy C10, turbo 400 trans. The truck sits a lot. It won't go into gear, unless you step on the gas and let the revs come down. It slips back out of gear if you give it a lot of gas.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Forward, reverse or both? We had issues with my '84 suburban that has the TH400 not wanting to go into reverse. Turns out the tube that picks up the fluid had fallen off and was laying in the pan.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought about posting this in the hot rod thread, but it would be easier to manage here.

1967 Chevy C10, turbo 400 trans. The truck sits a lot. It won't go into gear, unless you step on the gas and let the revs come down. It slips back out of gear if you give it a lot of gas.

So, first a bit of a disclaimer...the transmissions I have experience with are all computer-controlled, so my diagnostic skills don't line up perfectly for your scenario, but I'm glad to maybe help rule out a couple of things.

I would recommend a quick check of the basics. Is it leaking transmission oil? Low fluid level can result in a bevy of symptoms. There might be a dipstick to check the fluid level. Off the top of my head I think that old Chevys had to be at operating temp and in neutral to take a correct reading...could be mistaken about that though.

I think the old mechanical automatic transmissions used vacuum to determine load/demand. My gut it telling me you might have a vacuum leak or possibly a bad diaphragm in the vacuum modulator.

Do you have the tools or desire to dig into this yourself?

EDIT TO ADD: I just thought about the butterfly governor...if the car doesn't get driven much you could have sticky counterweights or a gunky valve.

Again, I am no expert with the older mechanical automatic transmissions, or with domestic transmissions in general...so I could be way off the mark, I'm just hoping to help.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

We need some pics of the 67 C10... Love the old trucks.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Forward, reverse or both? We had issues with my '84 suburban that has the TH400 not wanting to go into reverse. Turns out the tube that picks up the fluid had fallen off and was laying in the pan.

Yep. That goes to the reverse servo. It pushes on the band to grab the reverse clutch.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    We need some pics of the 67 C10... Love the old trucks.

It's a morning picture, so it's ugly.

qd2cQmI.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My google fu says front band is sticking. So it's enguaged?:dunno: I'm thinking the servo isn't engaging to press the band. Or the band is just stuck open, and slips more when gas is applied.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My google fu says front band is sticking. So it's enguaged?:dunno: I'm thinking the servo isn't engaging to press the band. Or the band is just stuck open, and slips more when gas is applied.

No noises. Has fluid.

Think I figured it's a stuck band from sitting.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I watched a video of a teardown. Customer's car sat for a while. It's a Rolls but still a T400. The valve body sprung up when he took the last bolt out, because the plastic servo was in half, leaking of course, and the spring inside the 2 halves sprung up the valve body.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Maybe I can run transmission fluid through it to clean it out.

Might look into the Lucas transmission stuff. I use their power steering additive and that stuff works! My guy at NAPA said customers have had good luck with the trans additive as well.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I watched a video of a teardown. Customer's car sat for a while. It's a Rolls but still a T400. The valve body sprung up when he took the last bolt out, because the plastic servo was in half, leaking of course, and the spring inside the 2 halves sprung up the valve body.

I think the stuck band pushed his servo in half. It couldn't press it shut, so it pressed the servo in half.

Which goes to show, don't leave a car sit around.

Top Bottom