• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    I found this recently thinking it was the real deal but now I'm not so sure. It is very detailed, solid and sounds like silver. It weighs 22.24g. I can't find it anywhere online even using Google's image match software. Anybody recognize it? Is it real?

yofs-obverse.jpg yots-reverse.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I wouldn't discount its authenticity right away. I did a Google search "1 oz silver Chinese New Year coin" and found many similar items, just not that particular one. You'll need to determine year and country of original minting. Good luck figuring out how to translate the characters on the coin.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    You probably already know this, but you could give it the magnet test. Not 100% fool proof as the scammers are finding ways around it now.

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Yeah it passes the magnet test too. Looks, feels and sounds like silver. I just wish I could figure out where it's from. I'll probably end up asking on coin forum I belong to.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yeah it passes the magnet test too. Looks, feels and sounds like silver. I just wish I could figure out where it's from. I'll probably end up asking on coin forum I belong to.

China? maybe too obvious of an answer but it is the Chinese zodiac and Chinese writing. Is it domed? looks perty.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I found this recently thinking it was the real deal but now I'm not so sure. It is very detailed, solid and sounds like silver. It weighs 22.24g. I can't find it anywhere online even using Google's image match software. Anybody recognize it? Is it real?

View attachment 89655 View attachment 89656

Contact Lost Dutchman Coin shop in Indy.
    If it can be identified, these guys can do it.
    Make sure to call or email first, they're doing stuff by appointment only through the week.

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Yeah good thing I'm not sitting on big pile of these. I just ready an article that chinese counterfeiters are pumping out tons and tons of counterfeit Morgan dollars and selling them online. Since the price of silver shot up we will see a lot more stuff like that.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Tuvalu is a Pacific island nation that produces many silver coins for collectors. I believe they're actually made at the Perth mint. and backed as real currency by tuvalu. I have several from them they're pretty good quality. a lot of their stuff is single year production runs to keep their value high. they also do a lot of intellectual property like Disney and Star trek. but it still legal tender.

IronHammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2017
    SW Indiana
    Thanks for the insight singlestacksig but I doubt my coin/round is a Tuvalu product as it doesn't bear the image of Queen Elizabeth on it. I could be wrong though. It seems whoever produced them did an entire series of them for each sign of the chinese zodiac.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Thanks for the insight singlestacksig but I doubt my coin/round is a Tuvalu product as it doesn't bear the image of Queen Elizabeth on it. I could be wrong though. It seems whoever produced them did an entire series of them for each sign of the chinese zodiac.

yeah, unfortunately I have only found that round on ebay or such sites.. chinamint may have a photo of it on their fake page.. it is definitely not a coin.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    coin.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exquisite-...849111?hash=item2ac96ad897:g:ojIAAOSwD1pcJaLW

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    At that price and based on the Ebay description, it is silver-plated only. The 1oz, Ag99.9 marking is misleading to the point of being fraudulent. Nice enough looking as a token.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    New Year's gift. Usually given to kids in the lucky red packets (hongbu), along with money.

Kind of thing given to children of friends at New Year's celebrations.

Money is not deemed an impersonal gift and is seen to represent "luck/good fortune" for the new year. Martial arts teachers give out tokens like this at New Years.

Things you DO NOT give: necklaces, clocks, anything white, or a green hat to a male (many other no gos for Chinese New Year, check with INGO's Cobber).

Top Bottom