• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It looks like we are gonna have to replace the furnace and AC unit at our place that still has the original installed in 1977.
    Looking for opinions on Armstrong brand, specifically the Armstrong 80 2v model, it's a 2 stage 80% upflow. I know it's an 80%, but to upgrade would involve tearing down about 25' of basement ceiling, so that's why we were looking at the 2 stage.
    Hopefully someone with some experience will chime in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In the 80% I am just not sure about the 2 stage and no, I am not a fan of the Armstrong line. I have used some of their equipment but was just never impressed enough to stay with them. Also had a few issues.

A Hi-Eff in a 95% with a 2 stage is a much better unit and will show the benefits in comfort and savings over the life of the furnace. Is there an issue getting a new flu ran.

Is the problem due to the height of a regular furnace. I am missing something here.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    What is the problems with your 2 stage furnace?
    He will quote me a variety of brands if I want, Armstrong and Ducane are just what he has been installing around here, basically because of price point and area.
    He has really only been installing those for about 6 or 7 years though, he use to do a lot of Goodman but was having a lot of problems show up with them.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    In the 80% I am just not sure about the 2 stage and no, I am not a fan of the Armstrong line. I have used some of their equipment but was just never impressed enough to stay with them. Also had a few issues.

A Hi-Eff in a 95% with a 2 stage is a much better unit and will show the benefits in comfort and savings over the life of the furnace. Is there an issue getting a new flu ran.

Is the problem due to the height of a regular furnace. I am missing something here.
    It is a tri level with a finished floor above so running a new flu up isn't ideal, and to go horizontal would require about 25' of basement ceiling be removed

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What is the problems with your 2 stage furnace?
    He will quote me a variety of brands if I want, Armstrong and Ducane are just what he has been installing around here, basically because of price point and area.
    He has really only been installing those for about 6 or 7 years though, he use to do a lot of Goodman but was having a lot of problems show up with them.

No Goodman. They are just not what they once were.
    Ducane is a re-badged Lennox.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The water heater can stand alone but yes I see the issues now. The Hi-Eff systems require a PVC flu. But in the situation with the 80% I would not do a 2 stage. The savings is minimal.

If the flue is a chimney are you allowed to have a orphan vent without installing a stainless liner in Indiana?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What brand would you recommend, we do plan on staying here for the long haul.

We have went with Carrier. We have had 1 issue and it was our mistake not the equipment.
    I just like the way they are built and go together. Personal preference over the other brands.

Look at the warr. offered. Ask the installer what they cover.

Most of these units are a conglomeration of contracted parts from outside sources as in blower/draft inducer motors. Gas valves. ECU's and safety's. The manf. makes the cases heat exchangers and wiring harness. The rest are assembled on the line. And unit can be a turd. We just prefer the carriers for reasons I stated.

Personally I would find a way to get a PVC flu out the side wall. Especially if you are going to stay in that house. You will see the benefit in energy savings and comfort. JMHO of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the flue is a chimney are you allowed to have a orphan vent without installing a stainless liner in Indiana?

You have to run full length with the flu. The condensation from the condensing furnace is caustic. And the flu requires a drain ran separate from the A/C condensate drain.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You have to run full length with the flu. The condensation from the condensing furnace is caustic. And the flu requires a drain ran separate from the A/C condensate drain.

Years ago I would help a friend out that did gas water heaters for HD in Wash DC, I would find old water heaters that had 2" vents running orphan into 12" square brick chimneys. Tough to make draft with that...
    Customers would kirk out when you tell them it just went from 1,200 to 3,000 to give them hot water. It turned many to install Rinnai tankless heaters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Should only have to worry about the drain for the a/c. 80% don’t make water.

I am talking about a 90+ unit my friend. I know what I am saying but thanks...:)

Edit.....maybe I was not clear in my post. But a 90+ does have a drain and the gases are caustic so that should be the clarifier.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Thanks for the reply guys, I will talk to him about Carrier/Payne.
    I'm kinda surprised to hear the 2 stage isn't worth it, I was just looking to increase the efficiency a lil.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We were discussing having a orphan vent with a brick chimney...

In some of the older homes in areas around indy we find this a lot. If you are running a 100BTU unit into the brick flu you can make enough draft but on a cold cold cold windy day it is not easy. The inducer will save you.

Top Bottom