• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Have a 2005 f150 that sat for 3 years or so. The wipers start “some times” but immediately return to the home position. They move for maybe 1/10th of a second moving maybe 1/8” at the most. I replaced the turn signal, dimmer, wiper combo switch and nothing changes. Washer fluid sprays ect. Everything works as it should just not the wipers. Tried yanking on the wiper while they are turned on and no results, felt as if they were welded in place. They act like if you can imagine a cotter pin was placed in between the next set of teeth to engage causing everything to stop then returning to home. Only thing I can figure now is the wiper motor is bad. Going to try to see if motor linkage arms are seized next I guess then try disconnecting linkage to see if motor will operate as designed. Anyone ever run into this problem? Thanks.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Never ran into that problem specifically before but as someone with a background in automotive mechanics and a history of working on vehicles, my next steps would be exactly what you're planning, check the linkage and see if it's seized/stuck/something jammed in there/etc, disconnect the linkage from the motor and see if you can move it that way by hand. If that all checks out then the motor would seem to be the culprit.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Not the answer you are looking for, and yes, you should figure out what is wrong with your wipers..... But I use Rain-X on my windshields and the only time I use the wipers is when there is heavy snow, or if I am off road and catch some mud.

As far as diagnosing the problem, try hooking up a jumper direct to the wiper motor. Will tell you if it is a motor or wiring problem at this point in the game. I would bet it is the wiper motor, but throwing money at a problem is not as good as diagnosing the problem, as I am sure you have already figured out.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Check the wiper motor pulse board.

Inspect solder points to see if any are cracked or aged. It can cause all sorts of strange issues with wipers and at that age would be about right for one to go out.
    If some are cracked, resolder them, and it should fix it. Usually only a $25 part if you want to save yourself the time.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Did not exactly throw money at but paid a Ford master mechanic $ to diagnose the problem and he “guaranteed” me that the signal switch was the culprit as he had seen it dozens of times. So much for the professional guaranteed opinion. That’s the purest form of throwing money away.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Since it sat for an extended period of time, when you check the wiper transmission also make sure the drain is clear. I have seen many vehicles that have gotten the drain clogged with junk and it allowed water to get inside the wiper motor electrical connector and can short things out. I have seen a few get locked up from sitting. I wouldn't be surprised if a wiper motor fixes it.

In all fairness to the Ford tech, the most common problem with Fords based on your description is a multifunction switch (turn sig/wiper etc).

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Have you checked the fuses? I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but typically in low or high speed power is sent directly to the wiper motor on the low or high speed wire. When the wiper switch is turned off, power is applied to the park circuit allowing the wipers to run until in the park position then power mechanically is disconnected and the wipers stop. From your description, the wipers may be stuck in the Park mode. I have seen this happen on older fords when the mechanical park mechanism gets damaged, stuck and wipers will not come out of park mode. You are on the right track going to the wiper motor and testing/inpecting there. Good luck.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    I would not have had a problem with his diagnosis and guarantee if it weren’t for the fact that I said are you sure because.... he swelled up and was pi..ed off instantly that I questioned his knowledge and that’s when he almost shouted so the whole shop heard and said “ I guarantee “. If he would have said to the best of my knowledge or from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t have had another thought about it. Funny part I’ve seen him out and about with his work buddies a few times and I say in a rather loud voice like I’m seeing an old friend and address him as Hit & Miss or Mr. Guarantee. The hit & miss comes from when I went back for a refund for his guarantee gone wrong he told me it was a hit and miss business and no refunds on guaranteed advice. The last time I saw them out one of the guys hung back and told me a few of the guys that were there that day call him hit and misr or mr. guarantee and he gets real upset. At least I have that...lol

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Have you checked the fuses? I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but typically in low or high speed power is sent directly to the wiper motor on the low or high speed wire. When the wiper switch is turned off, power is applied to the park circuit allowing the wipers to run until in the park position then power mechanically is disconnected and the wipers stop. From your description, the wipers may be stuck in the Park mode. I have seen this happen on older fords when the mechanical park mechanism gets damaged, stuck and wipers will not come out of park mode. You are on the right track going to the wiper motor and testing/inpecting there. Good luck.
    yes checked fuse and switched it out twice just in case it was blowing inside the grip part and arching momentarily but there is still the homing that has me baffled. I think you are on the right wave length on the stuck on park mode. Could there be a dead short going to the park lead maybe? Could you see if you can find that schematic and tell me what color the park mode lead is then I can put the volt meter it to see if it stays powered? Thanks rem! P.S. it acts exactly like when the wipers are frozen to the windshield and they shut off automatically due to excess torque required I guess. Thanks again.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Before I forget I get my parts from jjoriginalequipment.com and jj_originalequipment on ebay also. Just for an example I needed a couple injectors for my 99 f150 and Oem injectors are around $90-$100 per injector from fomoco and I got a new oem complete set and injector rail for $114 from them.

Attachments

• C08B8E4D-BCA8-437E-9C02-D36F0CC6451B.jpg
      C08B8E4D-BCA8-437E-9C02-D36F0CC6451B.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 10

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Just pop the motor out, hit the switch and see if it runs while disconnected. Also manually move the wipers while it's out to see if there is any binding.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Check the wiper motor pulse board.

Inspect solder points to see if any are cracked or aged. It can cause all sorts of strange issues with wipers and at that age would be about right for one to go out.
    If some are cracked, resolder them, and it should fix it. Usually only a $25 part if you want to save yourself the time.

This ^^^ I just replaced mine on my 95 GMC K1500. Wipers were doing all sorts of crazy things, like not shutting off, shutting off in the middle of a cycle, or only going halfway then returning to home position. Cheap part and easy to replace, at least it was on my truck.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Just pop the motor out, hit the switch and see if it runs while disconnected. Also manually move the wipers while it's out to see if there is any binding.
    There is the rub Jay but I’m disabled and “just” doing anything is a major hassle some days that’s why I’m getting all cats herded up to make one stab at it. I thought I would just disconnect the wiper arms to check for a jammed condition and try to run the motor in place. Thanks Jay.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    This ^^^ I just replaced mine on my 95 GMC K1500. Wipers were doing all sorts of crazy things, like not shutting off, shutting off in the middle of a cycle, or only going halfway then returning to home position. Cheap part and easy to replace, at least it was on my truck.
    Were is this wiper pulse board you speak of. On the motor or mounted in a remote area? Thanks Tombs, Mark.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    As far as worn out linkage goes, you can get replacement nylon bushing far cheaper than a complete new linkage set.
    Depends on your mechanical ability but if you can remove the motor or linkage in the first place you can replace the bushings.

Top Bottom