• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Looking for suggestions for a new set of quality, comfortable, wired headphones. These are for use at a desktop computer and likely worn for hours on end.

Currently using Sony mdr-xb950bt which are great except the damn things keep breaking in the circled area. Every time I glue them back together they crack a week later in spite of being very careful with them. I've been limping them along over a year now and they work fantastic other than the incessant cracking. (also, the BT/powered aspect is a complete waste of money for my use case)
    headphones.JPG

Criteria:
    -durable
    -not wireless... to be used sitting at my computer.
    -looking for over/around the ear like the ones I have. Not ones that rest on the earlobe. not earbuds. I'm not using them for exercise.
    -Not complete isolation sound damping but lets say when I'm trying to work from home I don't have the same appreciation for my little pony that my daughter does.
    -I'm not an audiophile but do have an appreciation for quality.
    -Quality over volume. (I wear ear pro for .22)
    -$125 budget.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Sennheiser make several models that meet your criteria. I like my 280's. I think I paid about a $100 for them. Use them mostly for recording.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I've always had good headphones, but over time the ear muffs degrade. I think my set of Skullcandy will be the last ones I need. They're holding up.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a set of V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-the-Ear Headphones. Absolutely love them. This model is a bit pricey now so perhaps the newer ones are less expensive.

I also have the wires Google bugs. Also awesome. Just not as full as the others.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    So I looked through those and it looks like the ones suggested are all "open". I'm looking more for closed type for the sound isolation from MLP.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sony MDR-7506.

There's a reason that every music studio has several pairs.

I wear mine for hours at the office and take them on planes.
    I've since replaced the surrounds with a set of lamb skin ones.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Sony MDR-7506.

There's a reason that every music studio has several pairs.

I wear mine for hours at the office and take them on planes.
    I've since replaced the surrounds with a set of lamb skin ones.
    mild necropost for follow up and for posterity. These things are the bomb! I got a set, loved them. Got another set for the better half to quit stealing mine. I just put a new set of ear cups on them as the surface was starting to flake from 3.5 years of almost daily use, that's honest wear and tear I don't mind spending money on fixing.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    mild necropost for follow up and for posterity. These things are the bomb! I got a set, loved them. Got another set for the better half to quit stealing mine. I just put a new set of ear cups on them as the surface was starting to flake from 3.5 years of almost daily use, that's honest wear and tear I don't mind spending money on fixing.
    Since it was necro'ed - I still wear that same pair almost daily, and the lambskin ear cups are holding up quite well.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I still have a pair of high end Turtle Beaches my grandparents gave me for Christmas about 15 years ago. A few years ago they broke, however duct-tape, some zip ties, and a fork keep them together to this day. The model has been discontinued for several years.

Since then I've switched to mainly using a Skull Candy model with an adjustable haptic bass slider.

Top Bottom