• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I think I know the answer but want to be sure.

My water and electric bills have shot way up. Since nothing has changed I figured to look at the water heater for leaks. No obvious leaks but the tube on the pop-off valve is very warm. I tried to unscrew the fitting into the tube but it did not want to budge and I did not want to break anything just yet.

Am I right in thinking that if the tube is not the valve is leaking? And since the water heater is 15 years old is it worth a new valve or replace?

Any input is welcome.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The valve will be hot That's not a problem. What is important is any liquid coming out of the tube?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If you are checking for a leak in your water system do this, make sure all water fixtures are shut off and look at your water meter and most have a red triangle on the face of the meter. watch it for a few minutes and see if it spins. If it spins and all fixtures are closed to have a leak somewhere in the system.
    If you do have a leak close the main water shutoff where it enters the house and watch the meter again. if the meter does not spin the leak is on the house side of the main water shutoff and if it does leak its between the meter outside and the main shutoff.

The valve you are talking about is the T&P valve, temperature and pressure, is water coming from the pipe thats connected to the T&P valve?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    It is the relief valve that is leaking. The tube coming off is warm 2 foot from the valve so I finally got the fitting to turn and before I had it apart I had water coming out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Then replace the T&P valve.

Yep. That'll do it. replace the valve and you are GTG. It should just unscrew and the new one screw in. (Dont forget the teflon tape.)

But If you have hard water and/or the unit is old, I'd consider a new one due to the bottom being full of sediment, and energy efficiency increases respectively.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Is there a toilet tank overfilling? Did rates increase, and not necessarily usage? Crawlspace, leak? Hose on?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    It is the relief valve that is leaking. The tube coming off is warm 2 foot from the valve so I finally got the fitting to turn and before I had it apart I had water coming out.
    Just asking. You do NOT have a plug in the down tube from the relief valve. The down tube should not even be threaded. Had to ask. Yes, I have seen this.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    "AND" if it the pop-off the area would be flooded. Not saying it is not dripping.

Do the meter test.

My guess it the T&P is plumbed into the crawl or a drain and he cant see it, he had to unscrew the pipe from the T&P to see the water running.
    But yes, after the valve is replaced its time to do the meter test...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Man if it is dumping in the crawl that's a serious mess.

No :poop: Ask me how I know.

Mom called me in to check into a weird leak at my boyhood home right after the pandemic started. Fast forward and it was a combination of a broken lateral tie in to the main combined with a corroded-through copper vertical at the kitchen sink just above the subfloor in the wall that was causing dishwater to percolate up through the laminate seams. It started in April with a flooded crawl full of greywater and rainwater and ended 4 weeks ago with the culmination of a properly installed new sump pit and freshly cut drain channels by yours truly. (dad installed a sump improperly 2 decades ago but they gave up because since he didnt do it right... it would just clog with muck)

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Update
    Inside water shutoff so I shut the water off until I get the part today. Went and got the wrong one last night and it was too late to get the right one, small town living. Got up this morning and the pipe was cold, turned the water back on and it got warm right away.

And the mouse is correct, draining into the crawl space is why I did not know sooner. Off to get the correct length I go.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Update
    Inside water shutoff so I shut the water off until I get the part today. Went and got the wrong one last night and it was too late to get the right one, small town living. Got up this morning and the pipe was cold, turned the water back on and it got warm right away.

And the mouse is correct, draining into the crawl space is why I did not know sooner. Off to get the correct length I go.

That was me....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yep. That'll do it. replace the valve and you are GTG. It should just unscrew and the new one screw in. (Dont forget the teflon tape.)

But If you have hard water and/or the unit is old, I'd consider a new one due to the bottom being full of sediment, and energy efficiency increases respectively.

Yeah, a fifteen year old heater is near the end of it's life. And water heaters seem to burst at the worst times. (i.e. Xmas eve)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Another thought, A lot of water companies are installing back flow preventers at the meter, in the past when your water heater would start the heating process, water was able to expand back into the system, now that they have done that there is just is not any where for it to expand.

Two things will greatly increase the life of a water heater, slightly lowering the tank temperature and the purchase of a expansion tank.
    Decreases pressure on the water tank and pressure relief valve. While not a professional Plumber, I did sleep at a Holiday in at one time and have a friend in the business.

Not mine, but I have one similar to this one.
    EyhN4jkwNGHa3Ox2.medium

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Another thought, A lot of water companies are installing back flow preventers at the meter, in the past when your water heater would start the heating process, water was able to expand back into the system, now that they have done that there is just is not any where for it to expand.

Two things will greatly increase the life of a water heater, slightly lowering the tank temperature and the purchase of a expansion tank.
    Decreases pressure on the water tank and pressure relief valve. While not a professional Plumber, I did sleep at a Holiday in at one time and have a friend in the business.

Not mine, but I have one similar to this one.
    EyhN4jkwNGHa3Ox2.medium

Please explain to me when you install that bladder tank, how it will reduce the water pressure in the system?

Top Bottom