Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ask an INGO plumber - water heater edition

User Info Menu

Ask an INGO plumber - water heater edition

I think I know the answer but want to be sure.

My water and electric bills have shot way up. Since nothing has changed I figured to look at the water heater for leaks. No obvious leaks but the tube on the pop-off valve is very warm. I tried to unscrew the fitting into the tube but it did not want to budge and I did not want to break anything just yet.

Am I right in thinking that if the tube is not the valve is leaking? And since the water heater is 15 years old is it worth a new valve or replace?

Any input is welcome.

User Info Menu

The valve will be hot That's not a problem. What is important is any liquid coming out of the tube?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Master

User Info Menu

If you are checking for a leak in your water system do this, make sure all water fixtures are shut off and look at your water meter and most have a red triangle on the face of the meter. watch it for a few minutes and see if it spins. If it spins and all fixtures are closed to have a leak somewhere in the system.
    If you do have a leak close the main water shutoff where it enters the house and watch the meter again. if the meter does not spin the leak is on the house side of the main water shutoff and if it does leak its between the meter outside and the main shutoff.

The valve you are talking about is the T&P valve, temperature and pressure, is water coming from the pipe thats connected to the T&P valve?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

It is the relief valve that is leaking. The tube coming off is warm 2 foot from the valve so I finally got the fitting to turn and before I had it apart I had water coming out.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hopper68 View Post
    It is the relief valve that is leaking. The tube coming off is warm 2 foot from the valve so I finally got the fitting to turn and before I had it apart I had water coming out.
    Then replace the T&P valve.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    Then replace the T&P valve.

Yep. That'll do it. replace the valve and you are GTG. It should just unscrew and the new one screw in. (Dont forget the teflon tape.)

But If you have hard water and/or the unit is old, I'd consider a new one due to the bottom being full of sediment, and energy efficiency increases respectively.

User Info Menu

Is there a toilet tank overfilling? Did rates increase, and not necessarily usage? Crawlspace, leak? Hose on?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hopper68 View Post
    Just asking. You do NOT have a plug in the down tube from the relief valve. The down tube should not even be threaded. Had to ask. Yes, I have seen this.
    Laser eyed dog has mellowed (Daughters "hair missile")and cat is alive and well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    Is there a toilet tank overfilling? Did rates increase, and not necessarily usage? Crawlspace, leak? Hose on?
    See post #4.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    That really wouldn't cause his electric bill to shoot up... High water bill along with high electric equals hot water leak...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast