Lunatic clinging to hood of semi for 9 miles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    From the stories I have read it looks like a mentally disturbed person got the semi to stop then climbed up on the hood and started attacking. The truck driver drove off with him on the hood and continued for 9 miles until the police caught up to them. I think the driver did the best thing he could. With the crazy guy hanging on for dear life he couldn't continue to break in the windshield.Do you think he should have reacted differently? I hope the driver doesn't get charged with any crime or get fired https://www.foxnews.com/us/video-bl...clings-to-truck-for-9-miles-bashes-windshield

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The driver should have pulled over from the start, and the law would have showed up shortly. If necessary he could have given mr crazy a hardwood shampoo with his tire buddy.
    Who would want there trucking company making the national news with a driver trying to shake a crazy man off the hood of one of your trucks.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The driver should have pulled over from the start, and the law would have showed up shortly. If necessary he could have given mr crazy a hardwood shampoo with his tire buddy.
    Who would want there trucking company making the national news with a driver trying to shake a crazy man off the hood of one of your trucks.

Their.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not one for second guessing, but since the question was asked, I have a hard believing that driving for 9 miles with a guy on the hood was: 1) the best choice or 2) what I would do.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The driver should have pulled over from the start, and the law would have showed up shortly.
    Shortly would in no way be a fast enough response for an unknown individual who jumped in font of my vehicle on the interstate and stated beating on the windshield. How would I know what the persons intent was after they go through the windshield?

If we're rating the driver's actions on a scale of 1 - 10 I'd say he scored a 7. There are better actions he could have taken but plenty of worse ones as well. He wasn't driving highway speed, just moving fast enough to try to dislodge the person. I'm thinking that if I had someone clinging to my vehicle like that I'd have given them the chance to escape after making it clear that I was happy to drive off with them on the hood.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Um...after getting through the windshield?

I would have little fear of that, swinging around and making a play for the side windows, sure.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I have a hard believing that driving for 9 miles with a guy on the hood was: 1) the best choice or 2) what I would do.

No kidding.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure I could have shaken him loose before the end of mile one.:D

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Shortly would in no way be a fast enough response for an unknown individual who jumped in font of my vehicle on the interstate and stated beating on the windshield. How would I know what the persons intent was after they go through the windshield?

If we're rating the driver's actions on a scale of 1 - 10 I'd say he scored a 7. There are better actions he could have taken but plenty of worse ones as well. He wasn't driving highway speed, just moving fast enough to try to dislodge the person. I'm thinking that if I had someone clinging to my vehicle like that I'd have given them the chance to escape after making it clear that I was happy to drive off with them on the hood.

Have you ever tried to beat your way through a windshield from the outside?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    The windshield dosen't need beat but Mr. Lunatic Fringe did. If he was truly 10-96, nothing would stop him not even a Tazer. I've had nutjobs stand there and take the ride only for them to yank the probes out after lightning hit 'em.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have no issue with it. Jump on my car you are a threat to my life period.
    1. You have demonstrated that you are ****ing insane and not rational.
    2. Banging on my glass and attempting to gain entry.
    3. Possibly armed with weapons if you got it or even to use from the outside.
    4. Not letting go with a start and stop and continuing to hold on, INSANE and DANGEROUS.

Yeah I'd say whatever force or action was needed, I'm ok with it.
    This is why you need a pet tiger

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Exactly! You put the red or green laser dot on the subject and the feline got 'em! Not my fault! Kitty only wanted to play...

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I have little doubt the ABF driver lost his job over this. Gotta think he perceived the guy on the hood as a threat and the driver turned the tables.

Watched this on a longer Youtube channel and the host wanted to direct attention the same way I'm seeing it here. What could/should have the driver done differently. Hey how bout what should the guy on the hood have done differently? The way I see it the driver did the guy on the hood a favor by starting his therapy out with shock treatment.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I wonder if ABF is working on a new training video on what to do in a situation like this one and what to do if you come to a crowd blocking the road.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Good call in my opinion. We are not commanded to be compassionate to mentally ill people when they are trying to harm us. If you keep the truck stopped and just sit there like a dumbass, the wacko has more options for how to attack...thereby increasing the chance you end up having to do something _really_ unpleasant. On a stationary vehicle, it's very plausible he can stomp his way through the glass. Then what? Your only options then are to shoot/stab/bludgeon the bastard, basically the same danger level to him as if you'd driven off, or to abandon the rig because you're unarmed. What if you abandon the rig, and he's more interested in you than the rig? Feel like getting out of your truck and having a footrace for your life?

Vehicles are not fortresses. The people saying the driver acted wrongly either aren't thinking this through, or are assuming the driver had more options than he actually did. Auto glass is not unbreakable. People beat their way through it every, single day - provided the vehicle is stationary. If you're not armed, you had better be moving. Unarmed and stationary equals dead, given enough time.

Top Bottom