Chemistry Help, Breaking Down Expensive RV Black Tank Treatment...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have found a great Boat and RV tank treatment that if used properly eliminates smell, cleans the system, and keeps sensors working. It is called Noflex Digestor.

https://marinesan.com/noflex-digestor/

I have read that if Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Percarbonate are blended they create the same chemical properties at much less cost. Is this correct?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JHH1IS/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMLUJCOAVH826

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010CEGXCM/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A14VG6462JJSWC

This accompanied the suggestion:

the answer lies in the MSDS's that you posted earlier...No Flex was 60% sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate and 30% sodium carbonate. The other 10% looked basically inert.

So I ordered sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. As best as I could determine (being and ME and AE - NOT a ChemE) sodium percarbonate is essentially the same as sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate. I ordered 10 lbs of percarbonate and 5 lbs of carbonate. Perfect ratio....

What do you Chemist minded INGO folks think?

This is stuff will really clean up an old tank if used regularly and properly over a year...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well trying to become your own chemist is.......:lmfao:

I am sure there are other ingredients in that product but hey brother mix away. Inert or not do they paly a roll as a catalyst or inhibitor in this process...???
    Let us know if you succeed or have to repair anything in the end.....

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I am sure there are other ingredients in that product but hey brother mix away. Inert or not do they paly a roll as a catalyst or inhibitor in this process...???

Go with the mouse on this one, Mike. While I might be willing to use MSDSs to compare non-reactive things like gun lubricants to each other, I wouldn't be so comfortable doing it for caustic/corrosive chemical mixes. MSDSs are only detailing the components that have health or environmental hazards. Any portion of the 10% considered inert could have important effects such as keeping immiscible components in suspension etc

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Go with the mouse on this one, Mike. While I might be willing to use MSDSs to compare non-reactive things like gun lubricants to each other, I wouldn't be so comfortable doing it for caustic/corrosive chemical mixes. MSDSs are only detailing the components that have health or environmental hazards. Any portion of the 10% considered inert could have important effects such as keeping immiscible components in suspension etc

That is good sense, hadn't really thought about it that way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is good sense, hadn't really thought about it that way.

That's why I asked if these inert components were catalysts in the big picture. They are in the solution for a reason. Or they would not be in there.

I have done a lot with chemicals through the years in closed loop systems and water tower treatments and cleaning. Goes with the trade and man I would no more invent my own than nothing. Let the chemists do it. They are then responsible when their chemistry eats up your system.

Just saying man.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's why I asked if these inert components were catalysts in the big picture. They are in the solution for a reason. Or they would not be in there.

I have done a lot with chemicals through the years in closed loop systems and water tower treatments and cleaning. Goes with the trade and man I would no more invent my own than nothing. Let the chemists do it. They are then responsible when their chemistry eats up your system.

Just saying man.

See, this is what makes INGO awesome. This went very different than expected.

Thanks for the input. Still cannot rep you. My last rep for you seems a few weeks ago.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Both of those chemicals are to raise the ph of the water that is in the tank, which will help get everything bad into solution. The other stuff is probably a combination of surfactant for greasy oily stuff and a sanitizing agent like BAC-50. The two carbonates were what replaced the good old trisodium phosphate that was used for years in dishwashers and laundry detergent. Still used in the leadeye household as a post ad.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry

WHAT YOU SAY.

Top Bottom