Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Teens and the 'odd' habits they develop...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KokomoDave View Post
    I never told my parents how to do anything as I am not fond of getting punched in the mouth.
    Right?? And my dad never hit me. But he had a tone of voice and an expression on his face that let me know not to test him. That's all it took for me.

User Info Menu

The things I donít miss...

tools, etc. that I canít find because they werenít returned where they belong.

empty boxes returned to the pantry instead of properly disposed of.

batteries removed from the TV remote because the x-box needed them.

laundry left in the washer and/or dryer.
    INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    ... One time I found about half a glass of "cottage cheese" that I assume was milk at some point.
    Been there... I sometimes take them and sort of hide them in their rooms.

User Info Menu

Both of my sons are pushing 40 so I usually listen when they offer advice these days. Wasn't always the case though.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

All of my teenagers (I have 4 currently) are very fortunate I still cannot afford an excavator/backhoe.

-bathroom etiquette (really lack thereof)
    -snarky/downright rude social skills with parents
    -kitchen skills (again, really lack thereof)
    -total lack of understanding of money and where it comes from
    -total lack of understanding the value of planning ahead (8pm Wednesday: tomorrow is first day of school, I need a scientific calculator)

I could go on. And on. And on.
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

3 kids, and my girls were so much easier than my son. Not saying they were easy, just easier.

1 more year before I boot the boy out and to the curb, I'll be glad to have my house back
    No doubt exists that all women are crazy; it's only a question of degree ~ W. C. Fields

User Info Menu

Sitting here enjoying my 10-year-old.

Mom and I have a deal. She is my problem until puberty. Her problem after that.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Sitting here enjoying my 10-year-old.

Mom and I have a deal. She is my problem until puberty. Her problem after that.
    That is beautiful!
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indyjohn View Post
    That is beautiful!
    Yep, this coming from a dad of a 14 yr old girl.

*To clarify your post from earlier (lol, yes calling you out)...three of the four are boys. I mostly gave up on cleaning their bathroom when the youngest was little and we bathed them in groups to speed up bed time...the youngest boy handed me a 'gift' he floated in the bathtub. The tub quickly emptied of screaming children after they laughed at me and what was in my hand - so I pointed out what was in the water they were sitting in.

Girls are significantly less mess but WAY more drama. The boys shed like animals! The sports fanatic is growing a garden of empty Gatorade bottles with mandatory cleaning days (because the smell is too much to enter the room for). The oldest boys are mostly functional as long as the OCD father does NOT enter their personal vehicles [you've been warned]. Fun Fact: What the friends of a teenage boy will draw on the windows of a car can be absolutely hilarious when you're not lecturing them about the inappropriate drawings on their car windows.
    Luck favors the prepared.

User Info Menu

Doing homework, but not turning it in.

Has anyone had this happen recently?

When my kids were in high school, we kept a close eye on their grades through some web app. About a dozen years ago, I noticed my 2nd daughter got a zero on a homework assignment that I KNOW she completed. I asked her about it, and she just said, "I don't know, I just never turned it in". She couldn't give me a reason.

So I contacted the teacher, explained that we know she had it done on time, and just never handed it in. I asked if she could turn it in late for partial credit, and he generously agreed to accept it late, but would take 10% off for turning it in late. So she ended up with an 85% instead of a 95%.

I told this story to a coworker at the time. He had a son from a previous marriage that was getting in trouble at home in Chicago where he lived with his mom, so she sent him down to live with his dad in the Indy area, my coworker. He was getting the kid straightened out, but he had the same problem. Kid would do his homework but not turn it in.

So I broke out the bright light, wobbly chair, and sap, and gave my daughter the third degree about why she didn't turn in he homework. She finally admitted that the "cool kids" (losers) would make fun of the kids who turned in their homework. She didn't want to look bad in front of the "cool kids". Life lesson time. I explained that she would never see most, or all, of the people she knows in high school after she graduates, unless they're getting paid minimum wage to change the oil in her Mercedes.

I related this to my coworker, and he found out this was the same reason his son wasn't turning in his homework, in a different school, in a different school district. He took action, and his kid started turning in his homework too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast