Teens and the 'odd' habits they develop...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    As I prepare to send my oldest son off to college one thing I'm reminded of this morning is...

I will not miss the 'odd' habits they develop...

1- Cannot seem to rinse out their coffee cups or drinking glasses...
    Why do we have to get a clean coffee cup out EVERY morning? :dunno: Ever hear of 'rinsing' out a cup???
    Why do we have to get a clean glass out every time we need a drink of water? :dunno:

2- Laundry...
    Why do you wash just your bath towel when there is obviously other laundry that needs done too? :dunno:

3- Place holder as the list grows...

Yes, I will miss my son but not the 'odd' habits.

:ingo:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Took my older daughter back to college yesterday. I don't know how my wife and I will be able to operate without her telling us the correct way to do things we have been doing for 30 years.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Took my older daughter back to college yesterday. I don't know how my wife and I will be able to operate without her telling us the correct way to do things we have been doing for 30 years.

Got a good laugh from that one.:):

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My wife has those same habits...

Yep, mine does something similar... she forgets where she left her water bottle/glass and just gets another without looking for the previous one. I can always tell where she spent her time when she is at home by following the trail of partially empty water bottles/glasses.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yep, mine does something similar... she forgets where she left her water bottle/glass and just gets another without looking for the previous one. I can always tell where she spent her time when she is at home by following the trail of partially empty water bottles/glasses.

Oh yes, thats another 'trait'... THEY ARE F'ING HOGS...

Or another classic... 'Don't be a jerk to your Father then ask for money later'... Bad form my friend, bad form...:n00b:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh yes, thats another 'trait'... THEY ARE F'ING HOGS...

Or another classic... 'Don't be a jerk to your Father then ask for money later'... Bad form my friend, bad form...:n00b:

One of my favorites when DoggyMama's daughter (in her 20's at the time mind you) was living with us for awhile was, "I'm a grown-ass woman!" And then almost in the same breath, "Mommy, can you 'loan' (meaning 'give') me $xx?" After living here rent-free. Oh yeah and we went through the dirty dishes and glasses left in her room too. One time I found about half a glass of "cottage cheese" that I assume was milk at some point. :xmad:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The things I don’t miss...

tools, etc. that I can’t find because they weren’t returned where they belong.

empty boxes returned to the pantry instead of properly disposed of.

batteries removed from the TV remote because the x-box needed them.

laundry left in the washer and/or dryer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Both of my sons are pushing 40 so I usually listen when they offer advice these days. Wasn't always the case though.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    All of my teenagers (I have 4 currently) are very fortunate I still cannot afford an excavator/backhoe.

-bathroom etiquette (really lack thereof)
    -snarky/downright rude social skills with parents
    -kitchen skills (again, really lack thereof)
    -total lack of understanding of money and where it comes from
    -total lack of understanding the value of planning ahead (8pm Wednesday: tomorrow is first day of school, I need a scientific calculator)

I could go on. And on. And on.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    3 kids, and my girls were so much easier than my son. Not saying they were easy, just easier.

1 more year before I boot the boy out and to the curb, I'll be glad to have my house back

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    That is beautiful!

Yep, this coming from a dad of a 14 yr old girl.

*To clarify your post from earlier (lol, yes calling you out)...three of the four are boys. I mostly gave up on cleaning their bathroom when the youngest was little and we bathed them in groups to speed up bed time...the youngest boy handed me a 'gift' he floated in the bathtub. The tub quickly emptied of screaming children after they laughed at me and what was in my hand - so I pointed out what was in the water they were sitting in.

Girls are significantly less mess but WAY more drama. The boys shed like animals! The sports fanatic is growing a garden of empty Gatorade bottles with mandatory cleaning days (because the smell is too much to enter the room for). The oldest boys are mostly functional as long as the OCD father does NOT enter their personal vehicles [you've been warned]. Fun Fact: What the friends of a teenage boy will draw on the windows of a car can be absolutely hilarious when you're not lecturing them about the inappropriate drawings on their car windows.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Doing homework, but not turning it in.

Has anyone had this happen recently?

When my kids were in high school, we kept a close eye on their grades through some web app. About a dozen years ago, I noticed my 2nd daughter got a zero on a homework assignment that I KNOW she completed. I asked her about it, and she just said, "I don't know, I just never turned it in". She couldn't give me a reason.

So I contacted the teacher, explained that we know she had it done on time, and just never handed it in. I asked if she could turn it in late for partial credit, and he generously agreed to accept it late, but would take 10% off for turning it in late. So she ended up with an 85% instead of a 95%.

I told this story to a coworker at the time. He had a son from a previous marriage that was getting in trouble at home in Chicago where he lived with his mom, so she sent him down to live with his dad in the Indy area, my coworker. He was getting the kid straightened out, but he had the same problem. Kid would do his homework but not turn it in.

So I broke out the bright light, wobbly chair, and sap, and gave my daughter the third degree about why she didn't turn in he homework. She finally admitted that the "cool kids" (losers) would make fun of the kids who turned in their homework. She didn't want to look bad in front of the "cool kids". Life lesson time. I explained that she would never see most, or all, of the people she knows in high school after she graduates, unless they're getting paid minimum wage to change the oil in her Mercedes.

I related this to my coworker, and he found out this was the same reason his son wasn't turning in his homework, in a different school, in a different school district. He took action, and his kid started turning in his homework too.

Top Bottom