• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    They really need to stop amping up the craziness. They're ruining the show.

I liked it in the beginning when they gave them time to show their skills and make quality blades, but threw them some curveballs.

Now, it's more about putting ridiculous requirements on them than just seeing who can do the best work with a little bit of adversity.

It's all adversity now. I've gone from being interested in trying to learn how to do it, to just watching the horror of what they put people through. That's not the kind of thing I like to see. That's not what got me interested in the show. That's not what's going to keep me watching.

Story of my viewership, though. When I get into a series at the beginning, it fails in spectular ways right when it's getting good. When I watch a series after it's already done, I typically enjoy it more, even if I know the finale is going to suck.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I agree. Generally.

Still like watching the show.

But perhaps the quality of contestants is higher now in later seasons so they've had to add other elements to the game to weed out 2 contestants?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I agree also. It seems the History channel like to devolve after a couple of seasons when they have an interesting series. I did like the Beat the Judges season since more of the processes were actually shown and explained. That said I still watch it just for the off chance I might be able to get and idea to improve my smithing techniques or see an interesting blade to try.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I agree also. It seems the History channel like to devolve after a couple of seasons when they have an interesting series. I did like the Beat the Judges season since more of the processes were actually shown and explained. That said I still watch it just for the off chance I might be able to get and idea to improve my smithing techniques or see an interesting blade to try.

I do like when the judges get to compete. I just wish they'd throw them in as part of the 4 instead of the "winner" getting to go against.

I keep telling my wife that I need to get in to forging. She just rolls her eyes.

Blazer90

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Lafayette
    I think it would be an amazing hobby to pick up. Do t let a show ruin your passion. I feel the same way the show is getting out of hand.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Bringing this back up.

The past few episodes, the theme is beat Ben Abbott. That guy is amazing, and there is some great competition. I like the format they're using, and I really like the fact that the judges are truly judging blind which makes it more of an even challenge.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Marcaida is my favorite person on that show. The new host can be a little too serious at times, but it’s a reality show after all. My wife is willing to watch it, so that’s a win.

Top Bottom