• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    So my daughter had her oil changed yesterday, got home and mentioned her oil light was on. Well I figured it needed reset. Then this morning she left to go to work and called me because she broke down about 8 miles away. She said check engine light and oil light came on and it died. I go down and look at car, it had restarted and she got out of road. I checked oil first thing and dipstick was bone dry. I look under car and no signs of leak. So I run to oil change place and tell them I think they forgot to add oil. They thought I was nuts, grabbed oil and followed me tot he car. Long story short, them bastages forgot to add oil.

So this car was driven 10 miles from oil change to home last night, and 8-10 miles today before it shut down. They took the car back to their shop where they told me they would drain and inspect oil, change filter and install new oil. I had to get back to my job, so daughter went with them to the shop. She told me she don't think they even drained that oil they had just put in and that they just replaced oil filter and checked for leaks, refunded her money and than kept the receipt.

I am having problems with this deal. I would think that engine has to have been damaged.....am I right? Where do I go from here? I mean, the business admitted they forgot to add oil and do the final double check and show customer dipstick....but I don't have that in writing or proof they said it. I hate to go straight to a lawyer, but I also don't know if I can trust them and I darn sure don't want to be stuck buying a new engine in 3-4-5 months because they are fools.

Guess I am asking INGO for advice. What would you do? How would you proceed? I'll be honest, I hate to cause this location or the employees problems, or their jobs. I aint interested in milking this company or getting something I don't need or deserve, I just want assurance from them that if this does cause issues in the next 12 months or so, they will be accountable and liable for it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It is a nationwide company, but our location is new.

BTW....It is a 2013 Kia Rio with about 70,000 miles. Damn engine would probably cost more than the car is worth.....but we did just put $1000 in the A/C this summer.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    "...She told me she don't think they even drained that oil they had just put in and that they just replaced oil filter and checked for leaks, refunded her money and than kept the receipt...." Sounds to me like they consider the problem solved at the local level. Contact world headquarters via phone or email and see if you get any response. Never worked on a car, but I have seen enough online to believe the extent of bearing damage hasn't been determined which will lead to premature failure down the road and with what you've stated I wouldn't trust the culprits to assess that for you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I guess this is something that actually could have and should have been dealt with ASAP when the light came on on the way home from getting the oil changed. I mean gee whiz man. No knock but come on. The light is not a suggestion.

As to the legality's I seriously believe you are screwed. They got you. JMHO but man, they are not made to run sans oil.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I hope it wasn’t Jiffy Lube. To my understanding one lady own all of them in Indiana. They talked my daughter into a whole bunch of crap on her car one time. When she got home I drove her car back down there and pulled into the lot on two wheels. They all scattered like cockroaches when the light was turned on. They even put in the wrong oil. After a go around and owner she sent a check for the $86 bill.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    Ask them for an extended warranty to cover any engine repairs that may be required later, at least until 120,000 miles or 5 years if you can get it. I knew of a similar situation at a Walmart store, and they provided an extended warranty to the customer.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Took my dads truck in to have the oil changed many years ago and watched as the oil was being put in the top and running out the bottom. It was on a lift.
    Idiots forgot to put the plug back in. I immediately said something. If I hadn't caught it I might have been in the same boat as your daughter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never use those oil change places because I don't like them trying to "upsell" me. Even if the deal is a little cheaper than I can do it myself, I'll do it myself. It's worth the 20 minutes or so it takes me to know it's done right. I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I can change the oil. :):

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Yes , I totally agree with DoggyDaddy doing an oil change ones self is making sure its done right by someone who truly cares. Especially since I was an auto tech I can’t allow someone else to do such a task that I am capable of doing.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I never use those oil change places because I don't like them trying to "upsell" me. Even if the deal is a little cheaper than I can do it myself, I'll do it myself. It's worth the 20 minutes or so it takes me to know it's done right. I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I can change the oil. :):

I would do another oil change immediately, and have the old oil inspected or better yet tested, that may give you an indication of how much damage was done.
    Most certainly it sustained damage.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    One way to see if the engine is ok is to put an oil pressure gauge on it, thread it in where the pressure switch is and read it. There should be specs available per model of vehicle. Also look for copper colored fine shavings in oil next time its drained that would indicate main bearing damage. NAPA has oil analysis kits available as well.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    She should be admonished for allowing them to take the receipt.

Go back, tell them what you'd like, if they don't want to, threaten to lawyer up with corporate. if they don't like that, do lawyer up. If the engine didn't blow, doesn't mean damage wasn't done but also she should have not driven that far with the oil light on.

Always check the dipstick yourself before leaving the lot. Always!

I've chosen not to argue with plenty of people that way it's not worth their time to change the oil. I've worked in shops and even dealerships and watched what coworkers did or what came from other shops enough that nobody touches my car but me and maybe a few friends I've known a while if absolutely needed.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    ^ This.

Drain the oil that's in it now and examine it.

Not up on new foreign engines but I would have thought the tappets would be clattering like crazy with no oil.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    They closed at 7pm and she left there at 7:05, she called them when the light came on...on her way home and they said they didn't reset the change oil light to stop in today and they would do it, never got that far. I mean, I would think a national oil change company, that all they do is change oil......would remember to put the oil in, lol. Imagine hiring me to replace your roof, I tear it off and forget to put the shingles on. There just is simply no excuse for some things, and this sure seems like one of those. I mean, yeah....I forgot to put antifreeze in my truck last fall, but I am no professional mechanic and at least I put water in it.

On another note...I got the receipt back. The manager signed it as to what happened and noted refund was made in cash, included his cell number on receipt and "assured" us that he would stand behind any engine failure, because that is how he does business, but to contact him directly. That kind of sent flags up to me. I have already got a message in to corporate office and requested district manager contact me. I appreciate the manager seeming like he will stand behind it, but I honestly think he is trying to protect his own back side from corporate. I think that is why he tried to keep receipt, but I got that back. At this point I will talk to corporate and see what they suggest. I only see 2-3 options. Kia inspection and you know they will say needs replaced at Lord knows what price. Extended warranty. Or cash to purchase extended warranty and then just trade car in and use the cash on new car.....but then someone else may get stuck with a bunk engine and we lose out the $1000 in A/C repair.

I don't want to cost this place thousands of dollars if the engine is ok.....but I just don't want it to blow up in a month and me be stuck. But how do you know if it is damaged for sure? I just don't see an engine running 15-20 miles with no oil at all, not being hurt. Hate to think this may cost people their jobs as well. I think we still have an extended warranty on it, but it is about to run out, if it hasn't already. BTW....It wasn't Jiffy Lube. I hate to say who it was, because they are nice people and humans make mistakes and they owned the mistake so far.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK the oil indicator does not always mean change the oil. I think I am confused. The oil can might be different in that car.
    Glad you got some response from the manager and yes he may well be CYA.

Wish you all the luck here my brother but engines need oil.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I always change my own oil in my trucks......but man, this car sits so low, has a skid plate and I have a hard time doing it. Even with ramps, my girth and it's height just nearly impossible. I never do my better halfs oil either....I bought her car new and have always had it maintained by dealer. It is a 2018 Malibu and takes some kind of fancy oil..worth $50-60 to me for them to do it, plus I like having them report the maintenance, in case I sell the car people can see it has been serviced by dealer. But I bet I never have an oil change again, dealer or no dealer, without checking it myself, lol.

Bet my daughter will always remember that as well. Any how, enough whining from me. Thanks for the reply's and advice. You all have a good night.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always change my own oil in my trucks......but man, this car sits so low, has a skid plate and I have a hard time doing it. Even with ramps, my girth and it's height just nearly impossible. I never do my better halfs oil either....I bought her car new and have always had it maintained by dealer. It is a 2018 Malibu and takes some kind of fancy oil..worth $50-60 to me for them to do it, plus I like having them report the maintenance, in case I sell the car people can see it has been serviced by dealer. But I bet I never have an oil change again, dealer or no dealer, without checking it myself, lol.

Bet my daughter will always remember that as well. Any how, enough whining from me. Thanks for the reply's and advice. You all have a good night.

Be safe out there my friend.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    OK the oil indicator does not always mean change the oil. I think I am confused. The oil can might be different in that car.
    Glad you got some response from the manager and yes he may well be CYA.

Wish you all the luck here my brother but engines need oil.

I think this is where the confusion happened. When she called them and told them the oil light was on, I think they thought it was the change oil light, as did I when she told me, when it was in fact a different light that is an actual oil can. I think the oil can must mean low oil pressure. There is no oil pressure gauge on this car. I think the change oil light comes thru as a message in the information center and shows a small oil can or something like that. I think they thought she was talking about the change engine oil light when it was in fact the low oil pressure light. I doubt it would have mattered by then though......I imagine the damage was done quickly huh?

How the hell do they even check for damage though? You can't find rod bearing and main bearing damage, and cam damage without disassembly can you?

Top Bottom