Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Installing rip rap

User Info Menu

Pics of the new mower dude! Pics!
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phylodog View Post
    Update: I went up and met with DudleyO this morning and picked up the side mower. It is gonna work out well. I have some strategy to figure out to get everything knocked down but it already looks a lot better.
    Happy that my spotty internet was working and I saw your post topic. I was just coming in to nib because I am considering rip rap as well.

Happier that it worked out for you!

Now about that trailer....

User Info Menu

INGO taught me something...again.

User Info Menu

Little late to the party, but I would have an excavator put in a tile with a few inlets in the ditch and then shave the bank down to where you are comfortable mowing with your regular mower if I were you. I am actually getting ready to do this exact thing myself.

User Info Menu

I thought about that but AT&T has a line buried right along the top of the ditch and I don't want to cut into it. The power company already cut it once and now I have one of those lovely metal tubes sitting 4' away from everything and I have to mow around it.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phylodog View Post
    Curious if anyone has installed rip rap? I have approximately 90yds of ditch which is too steep to mow and currently overgrown for many years. It's a bit of an eyesore and after considering our options we've decided to just go with rip rap. It's not terribly expensive, lasts a long time, low maintenance and will look decent here.

I've sprayed the ditch and killed (most) everything off. My thought is to knock it all down, pin black weed barrier fabric down, have the rip rap dumped at the top of the ditch and then started placing them. I'm thinking softball to football sized rocks. Has anyone done this? Am I on the right track? I've basically got one good arm, am I getting into something that's gonna take me 2 years to complete?
    Ask a farmer that mows the ditch is adjacent to your property if he could hit it with a bat wing bush hog. The only thing that you might have to worry about is getting tractor tracks in your yard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indyjohn View Post
    Pics of the new mower dude! Pics!
    There she sits. I just mowed most of my side pasture with it and it's doing pretty well. Some of the taller stuff is pretty stubborn and I'm sure the blades could stand to be sharpened after mowing the ditch. Something happened and she was still running but now mowing. I'd been at it for several hours so I'll investigate tomorrow.

There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

If the blades are Belt Run, Check the Belt. Happened to me after Cutting some very tall weeds.
    Freedom is defined by the character of those who defend it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4sarge View Post
    If the blades are Belt Run, Check the Belt. Happened to me after Cutting some very tall weeds.
    Iím sure thatís what itís gonna be. Just have to find the correct replacement, unfortunately there is nothing on it indicating the model number.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

The belt broke on you after one use? For real? Now I feel bad. There is a tag with the serial number. That should help.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast