Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Installing rip rap

Curious if anyone has installed rip rap? I have approximately 90yds of ditch which is too steep to mow and currently overgrown for many years. It's a bit of an eyesore and after considering our options we've decided to just go with rip rap. It's not terribly expensive, lasts a long time, low maintenance and will look decent here.

I've sprayed the ditch and killed (most) everything off. My thought is to knock it all down, pin black weed barrier fabric down, have the rip rap dumped at the top of the ditch and then started placing them. I'm thinking softball to football sized rocks. Has anyone done this? Am I on the right track? I've basically got one good arm, am I getting into something that's gonna take me 2 years to complete?
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

I used rip rap for a lot of things and your idea about the weed cloth is a good one. Biggest Issue I've had is leaves from the fall getting in the rip rap and then weed taking root in these the following summer. I use the rip rap to slow erosion in a drainage ditch along my driveway.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Sounds like good work for a couple of high school football players. You might not come out of this with one good arm, Phylo.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

Thanks gents!
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

My coworker lives out in the country. The farmers around his area burn the ditches twice a year.
    Maybe an option for you
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Expert

User Info Menu

Rip rap placement is a lot of work. I wouldnít do it by hand with two good arms. I wouldnít do 90 yards with a mini with a thumb, which I also have.
    I would seriously consider spraying it for broadleaves and leave the grass on it. Once A year chore. Crossbow is not labeled for use near water, but it does work, there is something more expensive that is labeled.
    If you go rip-rapping make sure itís not a county ditch, Hamilton county would make you pick it all back up.
    Not a statist.

User Info Menu

Do not use weed fabric. Use a geotextile material. Much much heavier duty material. Call site one supply. There is a store in Noblesville near my shop.

By all means get with the county. I know of a landscaper who didn't, and spent a week taking out all their "improvements" once the county found out.
    Last edited by bocefus78; 08-09-2020 at 06:48.

User Info Menu

My wife and I spread a triaxle of rip-rap, defined as 6-9" limestone and 45k pounds worth, around the waterline of our pond in early May.

Took a couple weeks but honestly wasn't a big deal...until all the squatting on an incline to place it right at the existing waterline resulted in a significant tear in my right knee meniscus.

As long as you won't be squatting thousands of times on an incline, you'd probably be good to do it yourself over time as necessary.
    "'Gun guys' can find a way to get butthurt about just about anything."

User Info Menu

It will be a ton (or many, many tons) of work and as Leadeye said, weed cloth will slow the growth but in a couple of years enough organic material will accumulate that you will need to start doing weed control again, at which time spraying will be your only real option. Not saying donít do it, but fyi.

A consideration: a weed filled ditch may be an eyesore, but itís darn good habitat.
    IWTFM Eternal vigilance is the price of chickens. JFC advocate.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shibumiseeker View Post
    It will be a ton (or many, many tons) of work and as Leadeye said, weed cloth will slow the growth but in a couple of years enough organic material will accumulate that you will need to start doing weed control again, at which time spraying will be your only real option. Not saying donít do it, but fyi.

A consideration: a weed filled ditch may be an eyesore, but itís darn good habitat.
    We are upsetting landlords to one degree or another by leaving more and more habitat every year, just simply not mowing. We try to control the noxious weeds and mulberrys. Itís amazing whatís out there.
    Iíd like to know just how long to leave it, if itís mostly for bird nesting or what, but I will say weíve seen more monarchs in the clover than I ever remember this year.

Not a statist.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast