• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've got an asphalt driveway that needs to be repaired and resurfaced. There are cracks up to about 1" wide.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what product to use, or maybe a good YouTube video they have used? This is my first time and I'm not sure where to start.

TIA

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Sounds more likely it needs replacement if you have 1" cracks. I'd look at replacement and would do concrete if I could (I did).

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, more than I want to spend at the moment. Then there's always the problem of finding a construction contractor who is competent, ethical, and sober. :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Austin Sealcoating is good. Did our church parking lot and was referred by the pastor's husband. Excellent work for a good price.

And I know the feeling. I tried 5 other companies before finding him. Either too busy or our job was too small.(40,000sqft is small????)

www.austin-sealcoating.com

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sounds more likely it needs replacement if you have 1" cracks. I'd look at replacement and would do concrete if I could (I did).

Or you could be like one of my neighbors. Concrete drive with 5 or 6 wide cracks. He patched them with bags of asphalt cold patch and has been putting sealcoat down on the entire thing every spring. :):

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Austin Sealcoating is good. Did our church parking lot and was referred by the pastor's husband. Excellent work for a good price.

And I know the feeling. I tried 5 other companies before finding him. Either too busy or our job was too small.(40,000sqft is small????)

Good start so far! I called them expecting to leave a vmail. An actual person answered. They were actually helpful with questions I had. They're coming out this week to give an estimate.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    If anyone needs advice I have been in the asphalt trade over 20 years. I sealcoat on the weekends in between my part time and full time jobs. I always give free advice.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Asphalt will reflect what's underneath it. Cracks will come back and/or get worse based on what is underneath.

Tear out and replace with concrete is expensive, but if you decide to go that route I have a trusted contractor who does really good work. He quit working for the commercial construction company where I work to do his own thing. I still wish he would come back and work for us...he does really good work and that's hard to find.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Asphalt will reflect what's underneath it. Cracks will come back and/or get worse based on what is underneath.

Tear out and replace with concrete is expensive, but if you decide to go that route I have a trusted contractor who does really good work. He quit working for the commercial construction company where I work to do his own thing. I still wish he would come back and work for us...he does really good work and that's hard to find.

Eh, what do you know?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Asphalt is always cheaper repair/replace, beside a lot of people fail to realize any concrete on you property is taxed because it is considered permanent, asphalt is not.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Asphalt is always cheaper repair/replace, beside a lot of people fail to realize any concrete on you property is taxed because it is considered permanent, asphalt is not.

Taxes are based on Property Value in Indiana, not permanent or temporary items. If it raises your homes value it will raise your taxes.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis

Don't be shy. Post his contact info. Someone else might need some concrete work.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Don't be shy. Post his contact info. Someone else might need some concrete work.
    Here ya go...
    d76eb63933ba41406a06929cfbf2492a.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Another update:

I called initially on a Sunday expecting to leave a message. Instead I spoke to a real person who was helpful.

They come out Fri and do an estimate.

3 days go by and I have no estimate.

I call and am told it should be sent USPS. I give it a few more days, still no estimate.

I send a message via their web page asking for an estimate by mail or email. No reply.

A week later and no estimate.

Why come out and take the time to look over a job site then not send an estimate to get business.

Back to square 1 apparently. :wallbash:

Top Bottom