• Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    E-3-Sentry-08-08-2020.png

https://strategypage.com/military_photos/military_photos_2020080819345.aspx

962nd Airborne Air Control Squadron E-3 climbs out from [STRIKE]Elmendorf AFB[/STRIKE] Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (old habits die hard), Alaska.

First unit I was assigned to in my career was the 552nd Airborne Warning and Control Wing at Tinker AFB, OK. The 962 is/was one of its squadrons.

That was a good assignment.

The E-3 uses a variant of the same basic engine used on the B-52 (and yeah the E-3 is LOUD). If the B-52 reengining program goes well, I wonder if they will put them on the E-3?

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Some ties on my end: My great uncle was a radioman of some kind (I believe) on one of the early AWACS platforms during his USAF career. He spent part of that career in Alaska, but I don't know if it was at Elmendorf or not. Probably so, honestly.

Secondarily, my brother in law was stationed at Elmendorf during his hitch in the USAF, too. He was whatever the USAF called their "MPs".

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Some ties on my end: My great uncle was a radioman of some kind (I believe) on one of the early AWACS platforms during his USAF career. He spent part of that career in Alaska, but I don't know if it was at Elmendorf or not. Probably so, honestly.

Secondarily, my brother in law was stationed at Elmendorf during his hitch in the USAF, too. He was whatever the USAF called their "MPs".

If your uncle was in prior to late 70s, then he was probably on the EC-121 Warning Star, which was built on the Lockheed Constellation airframe. Pretty cool looking airplane itself.

Air Force "MPs" have had several names. When the USAF was created by law in 1947, the former Army MPs attached to air units became Air Force MPs. In January 1948 they were officially redesignated Air Police (AP), then in mid-60s Vietnam experiece led to changing their name (and mission) to Security Police (SP), then Khobar Towers resulted in a change to Security Forces (SF). I think they are still SFs.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    E-3-Sentry-08-08-2020.png

https://strategypage.com/military_photos/military_photos_2020080819345.aspx

962nd Airborne Air Control Squadron E-3 climbs out from [STRIKE]Elmendorf AFB[/STRIKE] Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson (old habits die hard), Alaska.

First unit I was assigned to in my career was the 552nd Airborne Warning and Control Wing at Tinker AFB, OK. The 962 is/was one of its squadrons.

That was a good assignment.

The E-3 uses a variant of the same basic engine used on the B-52 (and yeah the E-3 is LOUD). If the B-52 reengining program goes well, I wonder if they will put them on the E-3?
    WACer!!! The KC-135s have had CFM-56s for like, almost ever (mid90s the reengined a bunch in Wichita when McConnell became a Core Tanker Wing.) why can’t they hang those engines on the AWACS?

Top Bottom