• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When I worked for the NPS in North Dakota, older rangers told about a German tourist couple at Hayden Meadows in Yellowstone who were filming a bison from the road. It was just laying there and I guess they though it needed to be up and moving for a better shot. So the husband handed the camera to his wife, walked over to the bison and kicked it. She filmed the whole thing as it stomped him into the ground.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    A student in a rescue class I was teaching out in Tetons worked at Yellowstone as a ranger. He came in to class one morning telling of a fly fisherman who encountered a bison in the hole he wanted to fish so he whacked it with his fly rod. The bison calmly looked back, hooked the guy with his horn and flung him 20-30 feet.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    DO NOT PET THE FLUFFY COWS!

The Wichita Mountains NWR in OK has been one of my favorite places since I was little. I grew up knowing to KEEP YOUR DISTANCE.

fluffy.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Shooting prairie dogs on the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands by Wall SD, we were camping in the primitive campground.
    One morning we noticed a man, woman and small child walking across the prairie to a heard down by the creek. We left to go shooting before they got to the heard, don't know if anything happened or not.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Shooting prairie dogs on the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands by Wall SD, we were camping in the primitive campground.
    One more we noticed a man, woman and small child walking across the prairie to a heard down by the creek. We left to go shooting before they got to the heard, don't know if anything happened or not.

They might still be there. Folks back east saying, "now why don't they write?"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Mooresville
    DO NOT PET THE FLUFFY COWS!

The Wichita Mountains NWR in OK has been one of my favorite places since I was little. I grew up knowing to KEEP YOUR DISTANCE.

fluffy.jpg

I've been to the Wichita Mountains a few times; one particular visit we were with some friends from the left coast. While driving thru the range they spotted a rather large bull standing about 30 feet behind a 6 strand barbed wire fence. My buddy insisted on stopping because "It's safe, it's behind a fence!" so we did. In spite of my instructions to stand back away from the fence he went right up to it and started hollering at the bull bison. It dropped it's head a little and started pawing the ground and huffing loudly, my left coast buddy turned and laughed at the moment it charged. Fortunately my buddy was standing behind a welded 8" corner post for the fence because the bull didn't make it thru the fence but did bend the post outwards at about a 30 degree angle. His only comment was that he didn't know that something that big could move that fast.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    We took a trip to Yellowstone in the eighties on our motorcycle. We stopped along the highway to watch a herd of bison in the distance. Two cars, traveling together pulled over in front of us and about eight people got out. We were close enough to hear bits of their conversations. They guys wanted close up pictures, the girls did not think it was a good idea.

Anyway, the four guys started off through the waist high Sagebrush wearing shorts, tee shirts, and sandals. They weaved around the Sagebrush because it is not safe to brush against (cuts the skin). After about two hundred yards they are within a hundred feet of the bison. They chose to get close ups of a baby, so the four of them close in on a baby.

Bad idea! Mom sees this and decides to run them off, she and one other charge the guys and they start running, but not weaving through the Sagebrush. The bison probably got within twenty feet of the guys before stopping, the guys never stopped running and never weaved either.

By the time they got back to their cars all four were bloody, mainly arms and legs, one lost his sandals. Of course the girls started screaming when the bison started the charge and didn't stop until well after the guys were back.

One of the girls walked back to us and asked if we saw what happened so they could tell the park that the animals attacked them and it was not their fault. I pointed to the "Wild animals are dangerous and do not approach" sign they parked directly in front of and said they would probably get arrested for bothering a protected species. She opened her mouth a couple times, but just squeaks came out and then walked back to the cars. I could see her point to the sign and then us. A couple of the guys gave us bloody fingers. They all got back in their cars and left.

The two charging bison were still standing where they stopped, looked at us once and shook their heads!

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    We took a trip to Yellowstone in the eighties on our motorcycle. We stopped along the highway to watch a herd of bison in the distance. Two cars, traveling together pulled over in front of us and about eight people got out. We were close enough to hear bits of their conversations. They guys wanted close up pictures, the girls did not think it was a good idea.

Anyway, the four guys started off through the waist high Sagebrush wearing shorts, tee shirts, and sandals. They weaved around the Sagebrush because it is not safe to brush against (cuts the skin). After about two hundred yards they are within a hundred feet of the bison. They chose to get close ups of a baby, so the four of them close in on a baby.

Bad idea! Mom sees this and decides to run them off, she and one other charge the guys and they start running, but not weaving through the Sagebrush. The bison probably got within twenty feet of the guys before stopping, the guys never stopped running and never weaved either.

By the time they got back to their cars all four were bloody, mainly arms and legs, one lost his sandals. Of course the girls started screaming when the bison started the charge and didn't stop until well after the guys were back.

One of the girls walked back to us and asked if we saw what happened so they could tell the park that the animals attacked them and it was not their fault. I pointed to the "Wild animals are dangerous and do not approach" sign they parked directly in front of and said they would probably get arrested for bothering a protected species. She opened her mouth a couple times, but just squeaks came out and then walked back to the cars. I could see her point to the sign and then us. A couple of the guys gave us bloody fingers. They all got back in their cars and left.

The two charging bison were still standing where they stopped, looked at us once and shook their heads!

Probably city people who know nothing about wild animals, save what they see on Animal Planet or Nat Geo Wild. No only did they decide to go bother the animals, they totally disregarded the animals' instinct to protect their young.

Oh, and not dressed for the environment, either.

I've never understood people's need to closely interact with or touch or otherwise screw with wild animals. Especially a huge herd animal that can gore you or stomp you to death. Or a little of both. :):

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I've been to the Wichita Mountains a few times; one particular visit we were with some friends from the left coast. While driving thru the range they spotted a rather large bull standing about 30 feet behind a 6 strand barbed wire fence. My buddy insisted on stopping because "It's safe, it's behind a fence!" so we did. In spite of my instructions to stand back away from the fence he went right up to it and started hollering at the bull bison. It dropped it's head a little and started pawing the ground and huffing loudly, my left coast buddy turned and laughed at the moment it charged. Fortunately my buddy was standing behind a welded 8" corner post for the fence because the bull didn't make it thru the fence but did bend the post outwards at about a 30 degree angle. His only comment was that he didn't know that something that big could move that fast.

Important points I see here: "from the left coast," and "didn't know something that big could move that fast."

Hasn't he every watched a cowboy movie with a stampede? :):

Flash-hider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    People need to realize is these animals aren't pets, your not going to be their friend, buddy, soul mate. While they appear to be calm and not concerned about human presence you never know what will trigger them. And they could care less about having a selfie with you posted on social media.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It’s halftime! In the bison versus stupid people game, the bison are leading 63-0. The bison started the game by depantsing a stupid person and the big woolies rolled on from there.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Years ago, before the reintroduction of bison to Kankakee Sands, there was a farmer who had a small herd. Got rid of them after a farmhand was killed. To be fair, I heard that the guy who was killed was often very rough with the bison to get them to move and apparently one finally had had enough.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    People need to realize is these animals aren't pets, your not going to be their friend, buddy, soul mate. While they appear to be calm and not concerned about human presence you never know what will trigger them. And they could care less about having a selfie with you posted on social media.

My neighbor has about nine of them as pets. They are pretty curious and almost always up at the fence when I'm out back.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    When I worked for the NPS in North Dakota, older rangers told about a German tourist couple at Hayden Meadows in Yellowstone who were filming a bison from the road. It was just laying there and I guess they though it needed to be up and moving for a better shot. So the husband handed the camera to his wife, walked over to the bison and kicked it. She filmed the whole thing as it stomped him into the ground.

I lived in Denver at the time. It was a Japanese man, not a German. Although, there are stupid people around the world and it could have happened more than once.

The current thrashing is just another reason that the Sturgis rally ain't what it used to be.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom