• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, I have a gift cert at Lowes from my daughter that will cover part of a leaf blower purchase. Never had one before, but need one at the new house to help with gutters, and cleaning off deck (frequent leaves and tree branches from a Honey Locust tree) and general sidewalk duty.

Am thinking I probably want one that takes the 80v battery size? Thinking the Kobalt like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-...ric-Leaf-Blower-1-Battery-Included/1000486243 possibly?

No experience other than borrowing a Milwaukee one from a friend last year to blow out gutters.

Not wanting a gas powered one, I've been using a B&D battery powered weed trimmer for edging and trimming for years (I have like the 20v one that shares batteries with my drill) with good results as long as I bring in the batteries and put them in the basement in winter.

I may want to share batteries in the future with a new weed trimmer, as well as possibly a hedge trimmer, though not sure if the 80v will be overkill for those devices.

Constructive thoughts or info that will help with a decision?

Let me know.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I have had both the Kobalt 80v leaf blower and trimmer for the last few years and love them! Leaf blower only runs about 20 minutes on a full charge but it's great for what I need. Trimmer runs considerably longer on full charge, and as you said the batteries work in both.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have this one: https://egopowerplus.com/blower-650cfm/

Been very happy with it. For "in-town" yards it is perfect. Works as well as my old gas powered Stihl and the battery last through several uses.

An unexpected bonus is that without the exhaust smell and pull to start of the gas one, my wife has taken to using it most everyday on the deck, sidewalks and porch. I call that WINNING!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks fellas, glad to hear the general feedback, as well as the specifics on the ones you have. I'll check out some of the brands/models you mentioned.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I have the Kobalt blower and trimmer. They both work really well for my needs.

I wouldn’t want it for an entire yard of leaves, but convenient for grass clippings and to clean up porches/garage.I’ve even used it to blow most of the water off my vehicles after washing.

My wife laughed at me for doing this... I’m in a new house, and there were live oak tree branches that dropped an excessive amount of leaves in the gutters at the back of my house. A flash flood Texas rain popped up, and my gutters overflowed without an end to the rain in sight. I stuck that Kobalt blower on the end of the downspout (not sealed, just stuck it on the end), and it shot wet freaking leaves 40’ into the air (and on top of me). I’m only sharing that embarrassment to give you an indication of the power. It isn’t worthless, like some of the older models.

I have a lot of landscaping going in (reduced yard size), and I’m going to pick up the Kobalt mower, too. I figure Lowe’s is not going anywhere, and they have decent warranties.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have the Kobalt blower and trimmer. They both work really well for my needs.

I wouldn’t want it for an entire yard of leaves, but convenient for grass clippings and to clean up porches/garage.I’ve even used it to blow most of the water off my vehicles after washing.

My wife laughed at me for doing this... I’m in a new house, and there were live oak tree branches that dropped an excessive amount of leaves in the gutters at the back of my house. A flash flood Texas rain popped up, and my gutters overflowed without an end to the rain in sight. I stuck that Kobalt blower on the end of the downspout (not sealed, just stuck it on the end), and it shot wet freaking leaves 40’ into the air (and on top of me). I’m only sharing that embarrassment to give you an indication of the power. It isn’t worthless, like some of the older models.

I have a lot of landscaping going in (reduced yard size), and I’m going to pick up the Kobalt mower, too. I figure Lowe’s is not going anywhere, and they have decent warranties.

Do you have the 80v versions or another power?

Appreciate the feedback.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    An unexpected bonus is that without the exhaust smell and pull to start of the gas one, my wife has taken to using it most everyday on the deck, sidewalks and porch. I call that WINNING!

That's the biggest bonus. For that to work at my house, I'd have to get a battery powered wife as well...

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have an 80v blower in FL and the 40v hedge trimmer here.

The blower rips and is more powerful than my Troybuilt gas powered. I use it to blow out the garage, lanai, etc. Haven't had any issues with that.

The trimmer is another story. Battery died. I didn't know if it was the battery or the charging station so went with the cheaper fix option and of course that didn't work. it was the battery. Couldn't find the receipt so no return. and it was just under the 3yr warranty limit. Battery is almost as much as I paid for the entire unit. $80 or $90.

I'm expecting my 80v to collapse right at the 3yr mark. Then the battery will be priced just less than a new unit. The product actuaries have us all figured out, those bastards.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’ll leave the obvious response to TT.

Oh I knew when I wrote it that would come back.

I was thinking more along these lines:

las_mujeres_perfectas_2004_2.jpg

Though my wife does have an ICD (cardiac implant, so she is sort of battery powered... that said, I've never seen her operating any lawn equipment unfortunately.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Do you have the 80v versions or another power?

Appreciate the feedback.

80v version with 2.5ah batteries. I figured that I could return easily to Lowes if it was horrible, something is not so easily done with a gas blower.

I've also used it with the WORX WA4092 Universal Fit Blowers Gutter Cleaning Kit, Basic Pack from Amazon, and it worked well. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want to blow a lot of leaves in your yard for fall clean-up, this probably isn't the right blower for you. Quite frankly, most of the moderately priced gas blower probably is not a good choice either.

I think the Kobalt lawn/garden items are made by Greenworks (they look almost identical), but the batteries might have slightly different cases (grooves on sides).

To give perspective, this is the downspout/gutter I mentioned.

2oYGG3X.jpg

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    I have the 20v Dewalt DCBL770 blower along with several other of their outdoor tools. The battery blowers work great, click-and-go, and uses same batteries as the rest of my tools. No problem moving big piles of leaves or grass on the sidewalk/driveway. Only issue I've had is shirt/coat getting sucked up to the intake cutting air flow. But that seems like an issue I'd be having no matter the brand unless I was using one of the backpack style blowers.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    80v version with 2.5ah batteries. I figured that I could return easily to Lowes if it was horrible, something is not so easily done with a gas blower.

I've also used it with the WORX WA4092 Universal Fit Blowers Gutter Cleaning Kit, Basic Pack from Amazon, and it worked well. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want to blow a lot of leaves in your yard for fall clean-up, this probably isn't the right blower for you. Quite frankly, most of the moderately priced gas blower probably is not a good choice either.

I think the Kobalt lawn/garden items are made by Greenworks (they look almost identical), but the batteries might have slightly different cases (grooves on sides).

To give perspective, this is the downspout/gutter I mentioned.

2oYGG3X.jpg

Excellent info on this particular model. Good to know the gutter kit works well with it also.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've got a Milwaukee blower that is great for general sidewalk duty. Never used it on gutters, but may have too large of an outlet to really be effective. I know it has completely replaced my Stihl gas blower. However, you mention Lowes... Recent news releases indicate that the EGO brand of tools is moving away from Home Depot and into Lowes this fall. EGO currently has the market share of outdoor power tools. I've never used them myself, but given the reviews, and your required timeframe, may be worth waiting a couple months...

--Rick

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    I have the 20v Dewalt DCBL770 blower along with several other of their outdoor tools. The battery blowers work great, click-and-go, and uses same batteries as the rest of my tools. No problem moving big piles of leaves or grass on the sidewalk/driveway. Only issue I've had is shirt/coat getting sucked up to the intake cutting air flow. But that seems like an issue I'd be having no matter the brand unless I was using one of the backpack style blowers.

With this Dewalt what size battery do you use and how long is the run time?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Dewalt has a couple battery systems. The FlexVolt system uses 20/60/120 volt batteries interchangeably, and is the most common for consumer use. I have a chainsaw and recipricating saw in this format, and it's amazing.

There's also a "Pro" system, that uses a fixed 40 volt system, IIRC, but it's not near as common, and considerably more expensive.

I've had good luck with Dewalt products, and will be buying more as I need them.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've got a Milwaukee blower that is great for general sidewalk duty. Never used it on gutters, but may have too large of an outlet to really be effective. I know it has completely replaced my Stihl gas blower. However, you mention Lowes... Recent news releases indicate that the EGO brand of tools is moving away from Home Depot and into Lowes this fall. EGO currently has the market share of outdoor power tools. I've never used them myself, but given the reviews, and your required timeframe, may be worth waiting a couple months...

--Rick

Interesting on potential EGO move. This complicates things...

https://www.protoolreviews.com/is-e...o Lowes in,U.S. stores by the end of the year

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Run time is also a factor of amp hours as well as voltage from what I am gathering, and seems like some of these manufacturers offer some same voltage batteries in varying amp hours for varying costs.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have the Ego blower, and it works great.

i also have the Ego mower, snow blower, and trimmer. So far I have no issues with any of them. They all share batteries, so that makes it really nice.

Top Bottom