• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok so had two days off after being out of town for work. Yeah how do people live in Chicago. Whole different story but we purchased some more land directly behind us. No access to it other than our property se we were able to get it at a fair price. We plan on expanding our pasture. So about 1k feet of sheep and goat fence and the needed post. I have been working on the corner post. The plan is to use our existing back row of fence for the front section of the new pasture. But here is the problem. It appears the area where I need to put the corner post is solid bed rock. So it looks like I have two options either to blast or try and find a core drill? Anyone have any experience with a core drill or other ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Heard it long ago, but there is no problem that can't be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I watch Mountain Men a lot. The other day there was an episode where they needed to widen a section of "road" in order to haul out some lumber that they had cut. Not only did they have to drill holes in a block of granite, but they made their own black powder to do the blasting! And they did all this in one day. :faint:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    hammer drill, 1" rebar, epoxy, and a sonotube full of concrete.

+1 :yesway: . Depending on how far down the bedrock is, I would use it to your advantage.

Drill, rebar (epoxy or grout), sonotube, add in your fence/post anchors in the concrete. Some of the old timer concrete end posts I've seen are pretty stout.

:ingo:

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Talked with a realtor (well emailed back and forth) about finding property in Tennessee. Looking in the Overton and Fentress county area. Mama Bear and I decided to by some land and be forest hermits for the remainder of our lives. Hopefully, I too will be dealing with bedrock and clay in the not to distant future:yesway:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Talked with a realtor (well emailed back and forth) about finding property in Tennessee. Looking in the Overton and Fentress county area. Mama Bear and I decided to by some land and be forest hermits for the remainder of our lives. Hopefully, I too will be dealing with bedrock and clay in the not to distant future:yesway:

More than happy to offer an opinion on those two counties if you would like?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Fentress Co. Tenn. i almost moved there out of high school back in the 80s.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    More than happy to offer an opinion on those two counties if you would like?

I’ve spent a lot of time in Fentress Co. Tenn. i almost moved there out of high school back in the 80s.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. I haven't spent much time down there since I was a kid, and remember how much I liked it...but that was almost 50 years ago. I am sure things have changed quite a bit. We are wanting seclusion, safety and views but still not be too far away from hospitals and possible employment.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Mooresville

Pretty common in Missouri as well, or any place there is an abundance of rock actually.

hammer drill, 1" rebar, epoxy, and a sonotube full of concrete.

I've helped a buddy doing this, they'll be wondering why a post like that was built in the middle of urban sprawl 200 years from now.

If the left coast hasn't managed to infect and destroy the entire nation by then.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Pretty common in Missouri as well, or any place there is an abundance of rock actually.

I've helped a buddy doing this, they'll be wondering why a post like that was built in the middle of urban sprawl 200 years from now.

If the left coast hasn't managed to infect and destroy the entire nation by then.

I was able to get one done Yesterday I took down one of the Corners that I did not like because the post kept leaning. I have to say bending the cattle panels was the hardest part. all the rocks were only a few steps away lol. I am pretty sure its not going to budge.

Top Bottom