• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So I reply to a Craigslist ad via iPhone with email by clicking the link in the ad. Next day I get a text about the ad. I did not give them my phone number, how did they get it? Seems odd and creepy...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There are no secrets when it comes to anything you say or do with your smartphone. We are all being monitored, by computers I believe as opposed to humans, but I have zero doubt that someone or something is picking up words in conversations (in the presence of a phone, Alexa, smart TV, etc.) and compiling data. Far too many "coincidences" which were far too specific in nature to convince me otherwise.

Example: A few weeks back the wife and I were sitting on the front porch, I had my cell phone with me as I almost always do. My wife started talking about painting the ceiling of the porch "Haith" blue. How do I know it's called "Haith" blue? Not because my wife did and I certainly didn't learn that tidbit somewhere along the way, I know it's called "Haith" blue because I just "happened" to get a article in my news feed on Facebook discussing the hows and whys of painting doors and porches "Haith" blue in the south.

Ain't no way on God's green earth that was a coincidence.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    There are no secrets when it comes to anything you say or do with your smartphone. We are all being monitored, by computers I believe as opposed to humans, but I have zero doubt that someone or something is picking up words in conversations (in the presence of a phone, Alexa, smart TV, etc.) and compiling data. Far too many "coincidences" which were far too specific in nature to convince me otherwise.

Example: A few weeks back the wife and I were sitting on the front porch, I had my cell phone with me as I almost always do. My wife started talking about painting the ceiling of the porch "Haith" blue. How do I know it's called "Haith" blue? Not because my wife did and I certainly didn't learn that tidbit somewhere along the way, I know it's called "Haith" blue because I just "happened" to get a article in my news feed on Facebook discussing the hows and whys of painting doors and porches "Haith" blue in the south.

Just say the words “I’m thinking about refinancing my house” and see it you don’t get flooded with refi companies.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I get it on the devices are tracking us for advertising among other reasons.

This was just odd. A private party advertising on CL got my number to text?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It looks like a normal number with the proper area code, not a CL scramble.

I wonder if it's something like here on INGO, where you have the choice to email another member. Their actual email is hidden from you, but they warn that once you email them (thru INGO), your email will be visible to them and they can email you back as they would normally.

In other words, the person on Craigslist that texted you wouldn't see your actual phone number unless you replied to them via text, since you could now see their phone number.

Edit: Mike, I just sent you an email (thru INGO, since I don't know your email address). If you don't want me to have your email address, you can just reply here or PM me to let me know you got it.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Do you often send email from your phone by clicking mailto: links? Its possible to send/receive text messages by email, so maybe your phone emailed that way when you tapped the link and they just replied to the number

Its also possible your phone inserted your number into an email signature

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This has happened to us more than too often for it to be random.

Has Siri ever interrupted you and gotten snotty...???

She has me on more than a few occasions. 2 Ingo members witnessed and the spouse.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    It looks like a normal number with the proper area code, not a CL scramble.

I recently sold a car on Craigslist and my phone number was not in the ad. Its listed with my craigslist information. All communication with maybe buyers and scammers was through texts. Noting through email.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Before my parents had smart phones, they had an iPad. I could text them (through the messenger ap) by putting their email in the “to” field because that email was associated with that ipad through their iTunes account. No phone number needed. This is probably how he texted you.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yes. Your phone is listening to your conversations and sending you ads. Disable Siri or Ok Google and limit app permissions to your mic such as the Facebook.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Your phone is listening to your conversations and sending you ads. Disable Siri or Ok Google and limit app permissions to your mic such as the Facebook.

Doesnt always work. I disable siri and I still have had similar "coincidences" like Phylo had. Wife and I discussing something totally off the wall that came up as we were looking at something in the house and not something we have ever looked for on google, etc. The topic came up in conversation after one of us saw something. (never discussed or thought of before) After the verbal discussion, we moved on to other topics without any online searches or interactions and both forgot about it. Sure enough, next day I'm seeing ads for it. And I'm talking off the wall like left handed monkey wrenches. I forget what it was, but not something that could be chalked up to coincidence. (like talking about eating at Wendy's and a Wendy's ad starts popping up)

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do you often send email from your phone by clicking mailto: links? Its possible to send/receive text messages by email, so maybe your phone emailed that way when you tapped the link and they just replied to the number

Its also possible your phone inserted your number into an email signature

THIS. If I just send a message to an email address from my iPhone and do not open a gmail or other account to email from, the recipient will see [my phone number]@[my telecom provider.com] as the sending email address

Top Bottom