• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Had to say goodbye to both of my daughters this week. Trying to keep it together, but its been tough.

My oldest daughter (19) stayed home last year and took some classes at community college. Well, this year she decided it was time to take her education to the next level. We dropped her off last week at Bethel University in Mishawaka. She was 100% "daddy's girl" since the day she was born. She looked like her mother, but her personality, including her stubbornness, was all me. It was tough to leave her.

My youngest daughter (18) got dropped off at Grand Valley State University today. She is a little more outgoing and extroverted than her sister (and me), but she is still daddy's girl. Maybe not as much as her sister was, but we definitely had a good relationship. I figured it would be easier with her, since we had a practice run with her sister last week, and it was. But even though it was "easier" doesn't mean it was easy.

My oldest son (16) got his driver's license on Thursday, so now he is more independent. Its actually kind of nice since I don't have to cart his butt everywhere, but still makes me a little nervous seeing him take off by himself. He will be driving himself and his brother (15) to school tomorrow for their first day.

I think when the day comes to say goodbye to my sons, it will be tough too, but its different with girls. And to not just lose 1, but both the same year has been especially difficult for me. I know their mother and I have done our best raising them, and I have faith that at least some of what we taught them has stuck. I also have known for a long time that this day would eventually come, and I was going to have to let them go. Just didn't know it was going to be this tough.

Funny thing is that my wife is handling it much better than I am.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    When we dropped my oldest daughter off at college for the first time, it was the hardest drive home we ever had. I think my wife cried the whole time. That was 17 years ago and I still think about that day.

TheQuietMan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2020
    Morocco
    Always tough to see them grow up. Tougher still when they think they don't need you anymore.

However, they still do, and when something goes wrong... and it will... guess who they're gonna call to help them figure it out. It may just be "My car won't start", but it's still gonna be they want their daddy to make it all better... That's pretty much never gonna go away.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I got many years before this but there is a song by Steven Curtis Chapman called Cinderella. This part of the chorus gets me.

'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
    And she'll be gone

I try hard to balance being a dad to my two toddlers (Not sure if my 4.5 yo is a toddler or not and my 18 month started walking in the last month, no longer a baby), my personal time, and keeping the house clean along with working 40 hours a week with two different shifts at work. It is the hardest thing. I got to remember that as every day passes, that midnight strike is getting closer.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It is the inevitable. When you raise them right they will go out and seek their fortunes.

My wife and I have been very intentional in how we have raised our kids. They are more responsible than 90% of the kids their age. We are incredibly proud of them. Knowing that this day was inevitable gives me a sense of pride to see the kind of young women that they have both become.

They are going to do great. I trust them to make good choices.

It's still incredibly to let them go, even though I know its what is needed.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I got many years before this but there is a song by Steven Curtis Chapman called Cinderella. This part of the chorus gets me.

[/FONT][/CENTER]I try hard to balance being a dad to my two toddlers (Not sure if my 4.5 yo is a toddler or not and my 18 month started walking in the last month, no longer a baby), my personal time, and keeping the house clean along with working 40 hours a week with two different shifts at work. It is the hardest thing. I got to remember that as every day passes, that midnight strike is getting closer.

I know that song. Its a good song. And if anyone knows that they are gone too soon, it's Steven Curtis Chapman.

Treasure the time that you have. It goes way too fast.

Gosh, it's dusty in here.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    My wife was ok dropping off her son for his first year of college. It was when we moved him into an apartment, she lost it. She knew he would be back after his first year. She knew he wouldn't be coming home after getting into the apartment.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    I know that song. Its a good song. And if anyone knows that they are gone too soon, it's Steven Curtis Chapman.

Treasure the time that you have. It goes way too fast.

Gosh, it's dusty in here.

I listen to it at least once a week, I got the bluegrass album version on my phone and prefer that version. I didn't know about his story on the song and what happened after. I hear the song and I hope it is the song I dance with my daughters with at their wedding, in about 20 years (between that song and Lee Brice's "I dont' dance").

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I listen to it at least once a week, I got the bluegrass album version on my phone and prefer that version. I didn't know about his story on the song and what happened after. I hear the song and I hope it is the song I dance with my daughters with at their wedding, in about 20 years (between that song and Lee Brice's "I dont' dance").

Steven Curtis Chapman wrote the song because he had neglected moments in his oldest daughters life due to his career. He didn't want to make that same mistake with his younger daughters. Only a few months later, his youngest daughter died when his son accidentally backed the car over her in their driveway.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Yeah, 3 daughters. Cried when each started kindergarten for the first day. Got real misty when they went to college. Same at their weddings.

Now Grandkids!!!! Whoo HOO!!

Don

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    SWMBO is sometimes sad and emotional about our kids living in other states/countries and not being around now that they are successful well-adjusted adults with interesting things to say and do. (We did get most of them together last night on Zoom to play Headbands and Pictionary, though, and we were all together playing Age of Empires on Steam last week.) Being less emotional and more logical (as if that will save me form the dust), my usual response is:

"If we raised them to be responsible, independent, successful people, we should not be surprised when they are."

Doesn't help much, though.

Top Bottom