• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I think that's awesome in someways.. I love see wildlife thriving.. i dont want anyone to get hurt though.. i think bears and big cats are a couple of the most beautiful creations

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I'm shocked that they've finally admitted it! They still deny there are any cougars though.
    Heck hasn't it been common knowledge that cougars are around indiana for a while? I've even heard the wild bore population is growing in indiana.. i hope so, that way I won't have to go so dang far to get my freezer full..ive read there is a bread of bore that is only on a island near (Alabama or Georgia i cant remmember) that feed almost stricktly on olive farms and that their fat starts melting at a really low temp and when slow smoked these wild bores have a sensational flavor and tenderness.. id love get one of those

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Heck hasn't it been common knowledge that cougars are around indiana for a while? I've even heard the wild bore population is growing in indiana.. i hope so, that way I won't have to go so dang far to get my freezer full..ive read there is a bread of bore that is only on a island near (Alabama or Georgia i cant remmember) that feed almost stricktly on olive farms and that their fat starts melting at a really low temp and when slow smoked these wild bores have a sensational flavor and tenderness.. id love get one of those

Wild boars are definitely multiplying, the DNR killed 32 on the farm adjacent to mine.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Don't know why this would be news, Ft. Knox and Bernheim Forest both have confirmed populations. It was speculated that the one we discussed a while back came from there. Probably several on this side of river, just with the Covid and people staying at home more they just haven't been spotted yet.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Thanks. I just have seen it talked about here many times about people reporting them and even providing pretty clear pictures of the big cats to DNR but they seem loathe to confirm.

Very few of those clear pictures turn out to actually be actual mountain lion though. Most turn out to either be bobcats(growing, acknowledged population known about for close to 2 decades) or house cats with no scale of reference to determine actual size. That's just the ones the public sees, the DNR undoubtedly see far more without an attendant increase in positive ids.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I think that's awesome in someways.. I love see wildlife thriving.. i dont want anyone to get hurt though.. i think bears and big cats are a couple of the most beautiful creations

Ya I’d love to see the black bear population grow, the only thing that sucks about it is the deer population is gonna take a hit between cats and bear. Black bear won’t really mess with a human anyway, they’re really timid unless they have cubs with em, and even then they’re definitely no brown bear. If you conceal carry everywhere you don’t need to worry anyway

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    [QUOTE/ If you conceal carry everywhere you don’t need to worry anyway[/QUOTE]

What about those that carry a .380? Seriously I would not feel comfortable with my normal carry caliber and bullet type if there was a chance of confronting a bear or big cat. I normally carry .45acp, 9mm and sometimes .357mag/38spl with hollow points. Put a large dangerous animal in the mix and I would want a .357mag minimum with hard cast lead. Just saying where my comfort zone lies. Jim.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nice to see native animals returning after all these years/decades/centuries. There have only been 25 fatal bear attacks in all of North America (including Canada) in the last 20 years. I am not worried one iota about having "run in" with much of ANY wildlife. Take reasonable precautions, and count yourself lucky if you manage to even catch a glimpse of a big cat, bear, or much of anything. Still more concerned with the 2-legged variety of predators.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    If you conceal carry everywhere you don’t need to worry anyway

What about those that carry a .380? Seriously I would not feel comfortable with my normal carry caliber and bullet type if there was a chance of confronting a bear or big cat. I normally carry .45acp, 9mm and sometimes .357mag/38spl with hollow points. Put a large dangerous animal in the mix and I would want a .357mag minimum with hard cast lead. Just saying where my comfort zone lies. Jim.

If you carry a .380 you have bigger problems than a bear :stickpoke:

Nah, there’s a video on YouTube of a guy killing a charging moose in Alaska with his glock 19. It takes a few shots of course, but part of carrying in my opinion means carrying something that’s gonna do the job, whatever that job may be. If I lived in Alaska and was out in the sticks I’d be carrying a 357 or 45. Living near the city, the animals I’ll encounter are likely carrying also, so I want more ammo instead of power.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states

Nah, there’s a video on YouTube of a guy killing a charging moose in Alaska with his glock 19. It takes a few shots of course, but part of carrying in my opinion means carrying something that’s gonna do the job, whatever that job may be. If I lived in Alaska and was out in the sticks I’d be carrying a 357 or 45. Living near the city, the animals I’ll encounter are likely carrying also, so I want more ammo instead of power.
    Thumbs up on 357 mag.. probably my favorite handgun round

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I'm shocked that they've finally admitted it! They still deny there are any cougars though.
    Yeah no kidding. My in-laws were one of the first to report a bear sighting in Clark county near Borden few years ago. The CO which will remain nameless more or less called them a liar and said they just wanted to get on TV ! About two weeks later someone photographed probably the same bear about a mile from where they saw it. I personally knew the CO (since quit) and asked him to apologize for his response to them. Of course he never did.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

Years ago I remember seeing a photo of a bear killed with a .22 - shot placement (and in that case LUCK) was the key. I believe the round went through his eye socket into his brain.

Top Bottom