Eagle Creek Res. 42nd street boat ramp fees?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just bought a boat. I havent owned one in 30 years. And I cant find the fees in a clear way. I see an annual pass for $40, and saw a picture of a sign that said $3/boat. But not sure if that per launch fee was just inside the park or at the 42nd street ramp as well.

Do I have to buy a damn annual pass, and if so is it a calendar year, or is it good for 365 days from the date of purchase?

I dont plan on fishing there a lot, so the per launch might be better for me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Never get out of the boat.

LOL No plan there.

Buys a boat, its not in the water yet, and cries about 40 dollars a year.... :laugh:

No I'm only crying if they want to charge me $40 for only Sept-Dec because its a calendar year thing. ECR aint THAT good. And the fact that I might only use ECR for maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Pretty steep for only a couple launches.

And its not like I dropped stupid money on a bass boat. Its a simple 12' 3 man rowboat with a motor. I purposefully chose the smallest hole in the water I could find. lol

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    LOL No plan there.

No I'm only crying if they want to charge me $40 for only Sept-Dec because its a calendar year thing. ECR aint THAT good. And the fact that I might only use ECR for maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Pretty steep for only a couple launches.

And its not like I dropped stupid money on a bass boat. Its a simple 12' 3 man rowboat with a motor. I purposefully chose the smallest hole in the water I could find. lol

If it has a gas outboard do yourself a favor this winter, Drain the oil out of the outboards lower and knock the lower off. Check the fluid and see if its clear or milky, if milky reseal. And the second reason to knock the lower off is to replace the rubber water pump impeller... Money and time well spent..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it has a gas outboard do yourself a favor this winter, Drain the oil out of the outboards lower and knock the lower off. Check the fluid and see if its clear or milky, if milky reseal. And the second reason to knock the lower off is to replace the rubber water pump impeller... Money and time well spent..

Yup.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Thanks. I'll probably do that next year. Prior owner recently had the engine serviced and proactively replaced the impeller pump. It probably "pees" better than you do, old man. :stickpoke: :):

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Certainly not a sermon. To someone thats never owned a boat before.
    Im a salt water guy. We do impellers every year regardless. And I would never believe what a boat seller told me was done for maintenance that I couldn't see.
    I have better than 30,000 bluewater miles behind me on my sailboat.
    A tow bill or a long row back will make a gear oil and impeller change cheap.
    Along with ruining the day for everyone..
    If Towboat US does fresh water here, you might want to look into a membership.
    One should spend about 10% of the boats cost annually to maintain it correctly.
    Good Luck in your boating endeavors...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Certainly not a sermon. To someone thats never owned a boat before.
    Im a salt water guy. We do impellers every year regardless. And I would never believe what a boat seller told me was done for maintenance that I couldn't see.
    I have better than 30,000 bluewater miles behind me on my sailboat.
    A tow bill or a long row back will make a gear oil and impeller change cheap.
    Along with ruining the day for everyone..
    If Towboat US does fresh water here, you might want to look into a membership.
    One should spend about 10% of the boats cost annually to maintain it correctly.
    Good Luck in your boating endeavors...

OK I will state this with a glib smile and a :stickpoke:

This cat don't change the oil......:lmfao:

Come on man you know I had to.

If you need any help with that engine let me know. We have done a few.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    OK I will state this with a glib smile and a :stickpoke:

This cat don't change the oil......:lmfao:

Come on man you know I had to.

If you need any help with that engine let me know. We have done a few.

LOL... You can lead them to water...

Waiting on a picture with how far this outboard pee's... :dunno:

Should I tell him to fog it for the winter and if storing the outboard outside to store if strait vertical so the lower unit doesent freeze with water and push out the prop from its rubber center or prop shaft out of the housing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, CM. But that oil change rule only applies in certain scenarios. (like cheap lawnmowers that the chassis, drive, etc wont outlive the motor, EVER. Wife's rule, not mine. I tolerate her whims on only buying cheap ass lawnmowers) DEFINITELY doesnt apply to expensive outboards. I'll be changing oils, and other recommended maintenance. (and from now on, automotive trannys as well. Learned my lesson there)

And I trust this prior owner regarding the maintenance. I've been acquainted with him for a couple years and he had no reason to lie about it. He's a straight shooter.

I appreciate the tips CP. I Just watched a video about fogging actually a couple hours ago. As expensive as outboards are, I'll be treating this with kid gloves.

Now whether to swap carbs on that thing. This is a '77 Evinrude 9.9hp so the powerhead is the same between 9.9s and 15s. A fairly easy upgrade if I want to try it. I'll probably leave it at 9.9 though no heavier than the boat is. The reduced RPMs due to less fuel have to be better for its longevity. Probably has something to do with why the 9.9s last so long.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Does Eagle Creek Park have a boat ramp? I don't remember ever seeing one there. Not that I was looking that hard. The only other ramp I know of is on Dandy Trail. It was a automatic vending machine payment method last time I was there,but that is several years ago. Used to have a person to take your money a long time ago and if you got there before the person, you didn't have to pay. There also used to be a small bait shop near the ramp, that was gone last time I was there. I have heard there is good crappie fishing the last couple years but as I said, I haven't been there for several years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Does Eagle Creek Park have a boat ramp? I don't remember ever seeing one there. Not that I was looking that hard. The only other ramp I know of is on Dandy Trail. It was a automatic vending machine payment method last time I was there,but that is several years ago. Used to have a person to take your money a long time ago and if you got there before the person, you didn't have to pay. There also used to be a small bait shop near the ramp, that was gone last time I was there. I have heard there is good crappie fishing the last couple years but as I said, I haven't been there for several years.

The website says there is an old ramp in the park behind one of the visitor buildings. It must not be maintained properly because they say its for hand launching only cartop boats like kayaks. They specifically state that trailered boats have to use the ramp off DT.

And I remember those days of beating the cashier to the ramp. LOL

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Yes, in years past the pass is a calendar year. In years past it has cost $5 @ Dandy Trail. I haven't used it this year so don't know now. The automated gate there has been fixed and AFAIK is in operation. There are no boat ramps inside Eagle Creek Park, only places to launch a kayak or canoe. There was a boat ramp years ago over by the zip line, but it's been blocked off and is now rarely used, even by kayakers. The $3 fee you mentioned is for non-motorized vessels inside the park.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The state reservoirs (Monroe, Patoka, etc...) now require an annual launch permit and yes it is calendar year. They did away with the daily a few years ago.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The state reservoirs (Monroe, Patoka, etc...) now require an annual launch permit and yes it is calendar year. They did away with the daily a few years ago.

Yeah dont get me started on that double dip... I thought that was the whole point of the registration tag was to pay to use state/public waters. I guess the state sites are now like toll roads. :rolleyes: Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks DCR for the update. Thats the closest launch for me and probably where I'll go to shake this thing out the first time. I'll just avoid the state sites that require the sticker until the spring since it seems silly to waste $25 for just a couple weekends.

Last edited:

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah dont get me started on that double dip... I thought that was the whole point of the registration tag was to pay to use state/public waters. I guess the state sites are now like toll roads. :rolleyes: .
    I must have missed something. I get a $5 non-motorized vessel permit for my kayak every year. There is now a launch fee on top of that? I checked the website, but didn't see anything about this.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I must have missed something. I get a $5 non-motorized vessel permit for my kayak every year. There is now a launch fee on top of that? I checked the website, but didn't see anything about this.

Motorized boats *ON SOME STATE LAKES* require an additional tag. (One tag good for all)

And you only have to pay a per launch fee at certain places. At Eagle Creek Reservoir its apparently $5 to use the 42nd street ramp for your trailered boat, or $3 if you car-top your non motorized boat into the actual park to launch from there.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Motorized boats *ON SOME STATE LAKES* require an additional tag. (One tag good for all)

And you only have to pay a per launch fee at certain places. At Eagle Creek Reservoir its apparently $5 to use the 42nd street ramp for your trailered boat, or $3 if you car-top your non motorized boat into the actual park to launch from there.
    OK thx, understand now.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah dont get me started on that double dip... I thought that was the whole point of the registration tag was to pay to use state/public waters. I guess the state sites are now like toll roads. :rolleyes: Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks DCR for the update. Thats the closest launch for me and probably where I'll go to shake this thing out the first time. I'll just avoid the state sites that require the sticker until the spring since it seems silly to waste $25 for just a couple weekends.
    Yeah, we usually visit Monroe but didn't get the boat back until the last week of August. Of course we still had to pay $25 for only a couple months. We've been known to boat in October though. No swimming but the lakes are nice to see.

Top Bottom