• JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    What do you make of this race fans?

[FONT=&amp]The NHRA has cracked down on political advertising when it comes to its competitors. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Josh Peterson, NHRA's Vice President, Racing Administration, issued a memo to race teams reminding them of Section 11:1 of the NHRA Rulebook. As NHRA sees it, by way of their statement, advertising a political candidate on a race car doesn't make the sport inclusive and welcoming. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]"Given this and NHRA's nonprofit status, the NHRA logo or name may not be used in conjunction with any election-related messaging, including a candidate's name or image or any other indication of support for or opposition to a political candidate.[/FONT]
    NHRA CRACKS DOWN ON POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS ON RACE CARS | Competition Plus

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Good move on their part. Don't alienate half your spectators looks like a smart move to me. Others should take note.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    Don't alienate half your spectators looks like a smart move to me. Others should take note.

Doubtful in racing. Democrats likely think that race fans are all mouth breathers and inbreds. That being said, your last comment holds VERY true.

Personally, I hope all team sports burn to the ground from their virtue signalling and flag kneeling. Make them get REAL jobs...that'll learn 'em good.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As an NHRA memeber, I hate it! This all stems fro Pro Stock racer (and hoosier) Bo Butner and it has been referred to as the Bo Butner rule. A couple weeks ago, Bo voluntarily wrapped his car with the Trump Pence 2020 campaign logo covering both sides of his car. He paid for it out of his own pocket. The race which was here in Indy, was televised live on Fox. Fox (and probably NHRA) went to great lengths to avoid/limit his car being seen on television. In fact they also made sure when he raced they only used ariel view cameras to show his car.
    The NHRA is and probably has been the most inclusive of motorsports for years, both in terms of race and gender. The NHRA needs to work to promote the sport of drag racing and work to draw in more fans and participants and not suppress individual thoughts and opinions. People have been putting messages and logos of all sorts on their cars for years. It has only become an issue in the last couple weeks. Further, I am confident it wouldn't be enforced if some showed up with a BLM logo on the side of a car.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    As an NHRA memeber, I hate it! This all stems fro Pro Stock racer (and hoosier) Bo Butner and it has been referred to as the Bo Butner rule. A couple weeks ago, Bo voluntarily wrapped his car with the Trump Pence 2020 campaign logo covering both sides of his car. He paid for it out of his own pocket. The race which was here in Indy, was televised live on Fox. Fox (and probably NHRA) went to great lengths to avoid/limit his car being seen on television. In fact they also made sure when he raced they only used ariel view cameras to show his car.
    The NHRA is and probably has been the most inclusive of motorsports for years, both in terms of race and gender. The NHRA needs to work to promote the sport of drag racing and work to draw in more fans and participants and not suppress individual thoughts and opinions. People have been putting messages and logos of all sorts on their cars for years. It has only become an issue in the last couple weeks. Further, I am confident it wouldn't be enforced if some showed up with a BLM logo on the side of a car.
    I agree, if trump 2020 was on a car every marxist in the country would start bloody riots over it but if ANTIFA or BLM was on a car, nothing but crickets.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Somebody needs to come up with a wrap that will blow off during the run and expose the political messages, even from aerial cameras.

That would be pretty funny. Since they did thwir best to keep Bo's car off the live coverage a couple weeks ago he had planned to put the Trump/Pence logo on top of his car for the US Nationals this weekend...before the NHRA sent out their letter forbidding political advertising.

I told Bo that if he is lucky enough to win he should sneak in "vote for Trump" into is post race interview since it will again be live coverage

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    What I envision is that anything "political" like a Trump or Biden message would be banned but ANTIFA or BLM would be ok considering they aren't affiliated directly with a political party. Between their policies and covid NHRA nearly expired this year.. Hooking up with any radical movement will surely be the final nail in the coffin. Remember where you heard if first.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The idea that we like the idea when it affects the other guy, but not when it affects our guy is so 2020.

I say keep politics and political messages out of sports altogether.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I guess I do not have an issue with it as long as it turns out it is everyone across the board. No Trump, fine, whatever. No Biden, no BLM, nothing.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The idea that we like the idea when it affects the other guy, but not when it affects our guy is so 2020.

I say keep politics and political messages out of sports altogether.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally good with such rules so long as they are evenly enforced. But for one, it wasn't a problem in 2016 when the same thing was done. In motorsports unlike many other sports, cars are often used to spread a message or to highlight an organization such as Make a wish foundation, or breast cancer awareness etc.
    Motorsports in general are used as an advertising means anyway, to sell products. Advertising for a political election is simply the same thing...selling a product. Yes, the sanctioning body always has the ability to restrict certain sponsorships for various reasons (usually a direct competitor of NHRA, such as IHRA) But also keep in mind at most NHRA events there are other NHRA member sportsman classes racing as well, where it currently is within the rules to have political decals on your car. So already they have shown this rule only applies to a certain few and that is where my issue lies.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm surprised the commies at BLM haven't fielded their own top fuel funny car and dragster....they have more money than General Motors.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So it would appear there is some push back against the NHRA from many drivers and teams. Yesterday several sportsman cars have Trump decals on their cars.
    But the bigger news is that multiple teams have placed Trump decals on their cars, including Erica Enders. Bo Butner has decals on his car as well, and his team all voluntarily wore Trump T shirts and MAGA hats yesterday. To further pour salt in the wound...or to give the NHRA the bird, Elite motorsports has Eric Trump hanging out with them for the weekend and even warmed up Jeg Coughlin's car yesterday.

If I was better at posting pics and links I would do so. To see Eric warming up the Jegs car check out the video on dragillustrated

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Just watched Doug Foley (Top Fuel) make a Sunday run with a good sized Trump/Pence sticker on the side. Wondering if NHRA will impose sanctions against the teams?

Top Bottom