Seriously it must be fairly Easy to Fry a transmission!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So yesterday at the end of the day I get the 2019 Explorer serviced, just rolled to 95k miles. Service included lube oil filter and a trans fluid exchange, I still do not see the point in extracting the fluid and replacing it to run the clean fluid through a dirty filter?
    But not my call.
    So as usual I drive home and the SUV sits in my drive over night, so today I get about 20 miles up the mountain and, great I can smell burning oil and the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree! So I find a spot to pull over, and see Trans fluid everywhere and
    Smoking like all get out from landing on the exhaust.

Long story short I got to baby sit my SUV for 2 hours. But seriously are the fittings not idiot proof? Apparently not, now after it gets towed we are looking at a minimum of 30 days for new transmission. Gotta love this stupid pandemic and people that can not double check their work.

Rant off

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, could be...
    Badly trained mech.
    Mech jammed up by a boss rushing him through jobs to maximize profit.
    Or just that **** happens even to someone well trained and taking their time.

That does suck though.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well, could be...
    Badly trained mech.
    Mech jammed up by a boss rushing him through jobs to maximize profit.
    Or just that **** happens even to someone well trained and taking their time.

That does suck though.

Well I am thankful it did not catch on fire. So there is that, guess it could have gone sideways in a hurry.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, it's good to be thankful for small stuff.
    A friend's sister had her car parked in front of my house.
    The neighbor across the street backed up down the drive, and right into her car.
    I told her, well at least you're here in a warm dry place waiting for the police, instead of being on the side of the road in bad weather.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The trans filter is internal to the trans. It would have to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled in order to replace it
    No trans pan to drop so to service a flush is performed via the cooler lines. They are a "quick disconnect" style line that if not made sure they're seated all the way when reconnected, will blow off under pressure pretty quickly. Probably lost all fluid in under a minute. Doesn't take much to get clutches in the trans hot and ruin it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you have serviced it regularly there should be no reason to change the filter unless the fluid looks/smells burnt.
    This is on the idiot that did the service. Something blew off or came loose from improper procedures. I would be up somebody's butt over this.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If you have serviced it regularly there should be no reason to change the filter unless the fluid looks/smells burnt.
    This is on the idiot that did the service. Something blew off or came loose from improper procedures. I would be up somebody's butt over this.

Motor oil keeps metal in suspension until a fine mesh filter removes it from suspension.
    Trans fluid does not keep metal and clutch material in suspension, it falls to the bottom of the pan, trans filters are a much larger mesh to allow more GPM to pass through it to allow the hydraulics of the transmission to work as needed.
    Hence thats why you change the oil an filter on your engine and for the most part do a flush or drain and fill on the auto transmission.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Motor oil keeps metal in suspension until a fine mesh filter removes it from suspension.
    Trans fluid does not keep metal and clutch material in suspension, it falls to the bottom of the pan, trans filters are a much larger mesh to allow more GPM to pass through it to allow the hydraulics of the transmission to work as needed.
    Hence thats why you change the oil an filter on your engine and for the most part do a flush or drain and fill on the auto transmission.

Just an FYI

If the filter is serviceable on a transmission, you change it. It amazes me how so many will neglect their transmission
    but change their engine oil religiously.

If it has a bottom pan, you have access to the filter. The fluid is sucked thru that filter and will plug with debris. Metals and clutch material DO get suspended in the fluid.

This vehicle however the filter isn't serviceable without removal and teardown of the transmission.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Just an FYI

If the filter is serviceable on a transmission, you change it. It amazes me how so many will neglect their transmission
    but change their engine oil religiously.

If it has a bottom pan, you have access to the filter. The fluid is sucked thru that filter and will plug with debris. Metals and clutch material DO get suspended in the fluid.

This vehicle however the filter isn't serviceable without removal and teardown of the transmission.

Lol.. I still have the first automatic trans car I bought in 1975. It has a turbo 400 in it.
    In all my years as a young man in a dealer and then with the next 40 years of servicing my own and others I have never come across a filter in a automatic trans that was clogged from normal service. The metal and clutch material sits in the pan like a pile of dirt.
    Burned up or blown up.. Yes... This is why most service departments use machines that drain and fill and drain and fill.. Other than drop the pan even when its serviceable.

Please post a few of your own pics of plugged up filters full of metal and clutch material thats not burned up and dark brown.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Lol.. I still have the first automatic trans car I bought in 1975. It has a turbo 400 in it.
    In all my years as a young man in a dealer and then with the next 40 years of servicing my own and others I have never come across a filter in a automatic trans that was clogged from normal service. The metal and clutch material sits in the pan like a pile of dirt.
    Burned up or blown up.. Yes... This is why most service departments use machines that drain and fill and drain and fill.. Other than drop the pan even when its serviceable.

Please post a few of your own pics of plugged up filters full of metal and clutch material thats not burned up and dark brown.

I'll post some pics within the next day or so. I've been rebuilding transmissions for 25 years. I think I might know a thing or 2.

Another FYI

Early transmissions such as the "turbo" 400 used a screen, not a filter. A simple run some solvent thru was all you needed there to clean it out.

Modern transmissions use a cloth or felt filter. They trap debris. Plain and simple. They will clog over time. Some transmissions also use a spin on filter, just like an oil filter. And certain Chrysler transmissions, for example, use a cloth and spin on filter under the pan.

But hey, go ahead and leave that filter in there, when its serviceable. Why spend the extra $10. Itll only cost ya $1500-7000 in the longrun

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll post some pics within the next day or so. I've been rebuilding transmissions for 25 years. I think I might know a thing or 2.

Manufacturers are ignoring that practice. Kia for instance doesnt have a readily serviceable filter. They have a procedure that is basically:
    Oen a vent screw, open a drain screw.
    (wait).
    Replace the drain plug, open the fill plug, and fill until the vent overflows.
    Run the engine and add more until it overflows again.
    When the overflow stops, close all holes and drive it on down the road again.

EDIT: And its a sealed system. no dipstick to check the condition of the fluid.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wait... Early transmissions you say... Olds brought out the Hydro Matic in 1940 my friend.
    I own a few clutch pack compression tools myself..
    So you are saying with these screen filters of the dark ages trans fluid allowed metal and clutch material to constantly flow material through the transmissions then..
    If only someone would have told the GM engineers... But that doesn't explain the always present small pile of metal and clutch material in the pan under the filter?
    Could it be that trans fluid doesn't carry the material..

Its all rhetoric...not interested with discussion over it... Good day...

No one tell him the B&G had a suction and fill machine 40 years ago in repair shops. You know back when most trans and converters had drain plugs in them..

Uh.....you do realize the member you are dogging does this for a living.

I will ask you one last time to knock this crap off. Seriously man you are smarter than this. Some of us actually know WTF we are talking about.
    Take a break. Come back tomorrow. I am serious.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Uh.....you do realize the member you are dogging does this for a living.

I will ask you one last time to knock this crap off. Seriously man you are smarter than this. Some of us actually know WTF we are talking about.
    Take a break. Come back tomorrow. I am serious.

I'm not trying to stir up **** but that is bad info.

This is what I'm gonna say

Service your trans once a year or every 30k miles. If it has a serviceable filter, change it.

Why not spend $100-300 every year or 2, on maintenance for the second mostly costly component of your vehicle. Heck, sometimes the transmission repairs/replacement is the most costly

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not trying to stir up **** but that is bad info.

This is what I'm gonna say

Service your trans once a year or every 30k miles. If it has a serviceable filter, change it.

Why not spend $100-300 every year or 2, on maintenance for the second mostly costly component of your vehicle. Heck, sometimes the transmission repairs/replacement is the most costly

You do know I was not directing this at you but defending you. I know what you do for a living.

Top Bottom