• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Ladies, gents...I just bought a really pristine used car and I need recommendations to recover clear coat defects/scratches. I'm sick right now due to the fact I was able to do in 3k miles what the 1st owner didn't do in the first 26k miles.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the products used. From my limited research, Im thinking of going with Maguires Scratch X2.

What are your experiences with scratch/scuff removal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use a slow speed buffer and 3M Finessit for that type of work. Watch the corners and any sharp edges.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I use a slow speed buffer and 3M Finessit for that type of work. Watch the corners and any sharp edges.
    Leadeye, that Charger is sick!! Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into that.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    We talking light swirls or deep scratches?
    A scratch about 6" and a scuff about the size of a pea. All clear coat level. Light but I can see them, when no one else can LOL

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got some really really good advice when looking to fix a rocker panel that I dented beyond simple repair on an otherwise pretty clean car. Many folks on various car forums turned up with all sorts of everything from stupid guesses to expensive fixes...

Best advice... "It's a ten year old car, just drive it." :)

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I lightly buff with Griot’s Correcting compound followed by their Perfecting compound then Finishing sealant. Top it off with buffing on a coat of high-quality Carnauba wax. My Wrangler does not see the harsh weather my wife’s Wrangler does to I skip the Correcting compound on mine.
    You need to determine how much correcting the clear needs then choose the appropriate compound. Buffing is so easy these days with all the slow speed buffers available and the compounds made for those buffers.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    A scratch about 6" and a scuff about the size of a pea. All clear coat level. Light but I can see them, when no one else can LOL

That scratch, if it matches my imagination, is likely to need wet sanded. Wet sanding clear is scary and hell until after you're done. I'd start at no more aggressive than 1500, work up to 2500, then hit it with the various compounds and polishes in either the Meguiars, Mothers, or 3M professional systems. You'll need some decent wet sanding blocks and it wouldn't be a bad idea to clay bar it all first too.

What I discovered pretty quickly is that it is way cheaper to pay a real detailer to handle it than it is to buy all of the stuff to do it yourself. If you think you can just do it by hand with some regular parts store compound and polish, then I suppose there's no harm in trying. But if you have to buy any more than maybe 3 stages of products, papers, and application tools, never mind a buffer and pads, you're going to spend way more than just paying to have it done.

But... I'm also a tool hoarder, so I full understand the desire to own the stuff to do the job too.

I also intentionally drive pretty much junk exactly because I got tired of worrying about this, so I second that opinion as well. ;)

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    5ade028efd45ab33300767ef1f2f4772.jpg
    07c5459f93a2eac432889a29db0ba94b.jpg

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    5ade028efd45ab33300767ef1f2f4772.jpg

Pictures can be misleading, but that appears to be down to at least the base coat. No buffer in the world is going to fix that if my eyes aren't lying to me.

All of the lighter scratches in the area would buff out well with any of the methods mentioned above. Combined with some careful application of a touch-up pen, you can probably get that back to 80%.

The second pic looks like a clear scratch that could be worked out, but it's likely to take some wet sanding (again, pictures aren't reality so I'm "guessing").

Honestly, I'd have a detailer quote the job and give their opinion. You might be surprised.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Pictures can be misleading, but that appears to be down to at least the base coat. No buffer in the world is going to fix that if my eyes aren't lying to me.

All of the lighter scratches in the area would buff out well with any of the methods mentioned above. Combined with some careful application of a touch-up pen, you can probably get that back to 80%.

The second pic looks like a clear scratch that could be worked out, but it's likely to take some wet sanding (again, pictures aren't reality so I'm "guessing").

Honestly, I'd have a detailer quote the job and give their opinion. You might be surprised.
    I think that's what I'm going to do. I dont have any experience with this because typically, I simply never cared too much. However, the damn car was flawless for 26k miles. I take ownership and BOOM!! I think that's what's bothering me most. Had it been a year or two from now, I wouldn't mind so much.

Theres a guy in Crown Point I think I'm going to go have him look at it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bingo.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I think that's what I'm going to do. I dont have any experience with this because typically, I simply never cared too much. However, the damn car was flawless for 26k miles. I take ownership and BOOM!! I think that's what's bothering me most. Had it been a year or two from now, I wouldn't mind so much.

Theres a guy in Crown Point I think I'm going to go have him look at it.

I hear ya... I bought my first (and last) "nice" car, black of course, and within the year some dingbat threw a CD of all things out their window... It rolled about 80 feet before gouging about a 2 foot long scratch in my car. Lucky for me this was back in the days when cars still had at least a little bit of chrome trim on them and the scratch was directly below and in-line with the trim. No one but me knew it was there.

Since then, my approach has most been that "beaters are sweeter"...

...said as I'm about to go repaint axle housings on a 21 year old vehicle. :nuts:

Top Bottom