• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I would like to to get them repainted, not sure who ever thought white doors would be a good idea? None the less I was wondering if anyone has any experience with air less sprayers? Or the best way to go about it?

Thanks

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Buy door paint and a a 6" foam roller and tray. Take it off the hinges and drill 2 pilot holes for #12 deck screws about 4" from each side on the top and bottom of the door. Lay out a drop cloth with 2 saw horses on it. Door on the horses then drive 4- 3" #12 screws in the pilot holes but leave 1" exposed. Use the screws to support the door and you can do one side, then with a helper, flip the door using the screws and paint the other side. Remove all the hardware b4 you start.

They painted them white so you could see the filth that needed to be cleaned.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Buy door paint and a a 6" foam roller and tray. Take it off the hinges and drill 2 pilot holes for #12 deck screws about 4" from each side on the top and bottom of the door. Lay out a drop cloth with 2 saw horses on it. Door on the horses then drive 4- 3" #12 screws in the pilot holes but leave 1" exposed. Use the screws to support the door and you can do one side, then with a helper, flip the door using the screws and paint the other side. Remove all the hardware b4 you start.

They painted them white so you could see the filth that needed to be cleaned.

The things I learn on INGO. That was a very succinct tutorial and I will file this info away for future reference. Thanks for the info.

Screenshot-2017-11-15-08.55.45.png

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'd also recommend a gloss or semi-gloss paint.

That will be easier to clean later when the fingerprints and grime return.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I sprayed smooth 6 panel wood doors a few years back. I rented a better grade sprayer from home depot but I did have to buy another spray tip that left a better pattern. Also had to buy a finer spray gun filter. I turned half my garage into a paint booth with plastic sheets, the airless sprays get over-spray everywhere. The sprayers waste a lot of paint in the air but also during clean up so the more doors the better. Since my doors are glass smooth I spent days cleaning, wood filling, sanding, & cleaning again. End the end the finish turned out great and couldn't be happier and the spray process only took a few minutes per door.

Now the above were for the doors on the main level of the house, when I eventually start on the second level I'll probably just brush and roll. Reason why is that with kids I'm just not going to find the time needed to do them all at the same time. So it will be much much slower but will be on my time. Also the kids have beat the crap out of the sprayed doors and I've had to touch up spots with brush, ruining the sprayed finish.

I used Sherwin Williams ProClassic which lays down pretty flat when using a brush and roller. Also Benjamin Moore has their Advance paint which also lays down nice and flat. Both of these paints take some practice to get use to but you can get pretty good results using a mole hair roller and a quality brush.

Top Bottom