• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Though this would be fun. My dad's current project. There is a hint in the pic.

F5DBriS.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    A Rube Goldberg for Steaming wood....

Edit, your dad went to great lengths to make steam........ Perdue Engineering graduate?

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I had never heard of wood steamers, and frankly I was a little bit nervous about doing an Internet search on this, given the not so long ago there were many articles out In “mainstream press” about people steaming their ‘taints and nethers.:runaway: So I was mighty afeared of putting “steaming wood” in the search bar and hitting enter.

But I cranked up my safe search filter as high as it would go, entered the fearful terms, took a deep breath and hit enter. Happily the first page of results were largely from wikiHow and Wood magazine. :woot:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Wow, post #1, that didn't take long. Wood plank steamer to bend wood to specific shapes.

I took a class long ago in St Michaels Md with a good friend that loved restoring old wooden catboats, The class was on splitting wood and steaming until its time to torture it into the needed shape. When we built his steamer I gave him a old plumbers lead melter that screws onto a propane tank for fire and his unit is sealed as well as it can be and he keeps his pressure around 10 psi. It will drastically cut down on the steam time that needed.

What is your dad bending wood for?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I took a class long ago in St Michaels Md with a good friend that loved restoring old wooden catboats, The class was on splitting wood and steaming until its time to torture it into the needed shape. When we built his steamer I gave him a old plumbers lead melter that screws onto a propane tank for fire and his unit is sealed as well as it can be and he keeps his pressure around 10 psi. It will drastically cut down on the steam time that needed.

What is your dad bending wood for?

I've heard of cathouses but not catboats. Learn something new every doggone day!

Top Bottom