• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Christmas will be here sooner than we may expect and we're trying to claw our way out of a self-made economic mess from the plague.

One way to help ourselves is to give money to ourselves instead of China (mostly) or overseas. Please don't think I am opposed to buy foreign, I love French & German quality, but all things being equal I want to avoid the lower quality goods from third world countries. They can be useful and cheap, but they are cheap.

I found a link for some kitchen goods that has more products from companies Made in AMERICA! I am going to try to stick with this list unless I cannot find what I need there. Spending money on these manufacturers will give me some sense of helping our folks struggle less with the economy down.

Link: https://www.stillmadeinusa.com/

For those who wish to do the same I hope this helps.

As of 7 Sept 2020 there are 108 days until Christmas. Also only 93 days until Hanukkah begins.

Regards,

Doug

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We'll be leaning that way also, again.

Try to do the same when we can. Although it can be very frustrating, recently bought a DR wood chipper over another brand that was designed in the US. Wow what a mistake that was! Thing broke after minimal use like less than 10 hours. TSC did their part full refund and a I am sorry we no longer have them in stock. We rely on the chipper to clean up branches for fresh bedding for the Barn.

Well we ended up replacing it with a store brand not made in China. Thing runs circles around the DR feeds easier better engine, and shreds the wood. Plus it was $250 less expensive because it did not have a fancy decal and orange paint.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The way that the gift giving practices of my corn tundra family have been structured...
    Other than my wife and a sister in law I'm buying for a nephew.

This guy (nephew) is a very savvy chemist, electronics designer and has obtained other amazing attributes prior to achieving adulthood. And I'm gonna get him WHAT? He needs a megaJ laser or a bushel basket of condoms.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The way that the gift giving practices of my corn tundra family have been structured...

This guy (nephew) is a very savvy chemist, electronics designer and has obtained other amazing attributes prior to achieving adulthood. And I'm gonna get him WHAT? He needs a megaJ laser or a bushel basket of condoms.

I'd go with the condoms. Safety first!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I have this problem with my sister and her husband. They're both wildly successful and can (and do) buy anything they want. I accidentally hit a home run and bought them a few silver eagles a couple of years back when they were dirt cheap. I had no idea her husband was a coin nerd at the time and quickly found out. Now I get them eagles every year (this year is going to hurt from the looks of things).

So... That's a twofer for the thread: silver is a good investment (why I did it to begin with) and silver eagles are made in USA.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We officially start our shopping on Oct. 1st and are usually done in a few weeks into that month. CKW makes a lot of the gifts she gives as she is very crafty and has skills. Folks love her stuff.
    So except for wrapping we are well done and out of the madness early.
    We try and stay away from the crap from Wally and such but seriously, it is very hard to do.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    We officially start our shopping on Oct. 1st and are usually done in a few weeks into that month. CKW makes a lot of the gifts she gives as she is very crafty and has skills. Folks love her stuff.
    So except for wrapping we are well done and out of the madness early.
    We try and stay away from the crap from Wally and such but seriously, it is very hard to do.

The 18" AR you're building me for Christmas this year is more than enough... No really, you shouldn't have. :laugh:

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    We just buy everyone their favorite booze. Lots of it is made In America with assists from Scotland, France and Mexico. One trip to Binnys and we're done. No complaints yet. Kids we just ask the parents.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This thought occurred to me as I have started planning for Thanksgiving.

To make things easy:rolleyes: on myself I have decided to buy at least two (2) chafing dishes so that I can get things out early and still have the food hot. Except this year I'm also looking at serving some caviar so that will need an ice chafing dish.

While I do a LOT of shopping on Amazon I noticed most of the items made in China. The Chinese are great people, really! I have nothing against the people. Their government, well... not so good. Anywho's, they're paid a pittance and pump out stuff that works but isn't made to last. I want something nice that will LAST, and that ain't Chinese. So I got to looking and found the site, then I thought to share.

Don't forget that Thanksgiving will be here sooner and a nice looking chafing dish could make the meal a whole lot easier to deal with when you don't have to have everything hit the table at the same time.

The thing that surprised me is that I thought Lodge was Made in America, which it is, but apparently their enameled products are imported.:((If imported from Europe I know it will still be great quality, but I doubt it is). I still might buy it but I'll look at some other American manufacturers.

Regards,

Doug

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    We just buy everyone their favorite booze. Lots of it is made In America with assists from Scotland, France and Mexico. One trip to Binnys and we're done. No complaints yet. Kids we just ask the parents.

So what is the most common booze of choice for children these days? :):

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    While I do a LOT of shopping on Amazon I noticed most of the items made in China. The Chinese are great people, really! I have nothing against the people. Their government, well... not so good. Anywho's, they're paid a pittance and pump out stuff that works but isn't made to last. I want something nice that will LAST, and that ain't Chinese. So I got to looking and found the site, then I thought to share.

This is true of most of the stuff that is imported from China to the U.S., but it's not inherently true. Chinese manufacturers are capable of making top-quality products. It's just that most companies who choose to manufacture in China focus more on the cost per unit rather than on the quality.

If lowest cost is the primary factor in decision making, quality is going to suffer. That's true of products made anywhere.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Regardless, the ChiComs are our enemies. Doing 'business' with the communists is only funding their dreams of world domination. Don't buy from the ChiComs until Coms is no longer part of their makeup.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If you're shopping American for Christmas you may want to start looking now.

Earlier this year, once the supply chain issues were brought more to the fore, we started looking to buy more American than we had before. I would like Amazon to make it easier to filter by country of manufacture, but absent a financial incentive I don't see them doing it voluntarily. A lot of the Chinese companies are easy to spot based on their names, and the format of their product descriptions, but some have made more effort at obscuring their origins.

Also, remember that there is a difference between made in the USA and built/designed in the USA.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sounds good!

I don't know why the link to their website shows as "Springerle German Christmas Cookie". :n00b: I'm not a big fan of springerle myself, but I do remember Mom having a special rolling pin to make them (had squares with various "imprints" to put into the cookies).

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I don't know why the link to their website shows as "Springerle German Christmas Cookie". :n00b: I'm not a big fan of springerle myself, but I do remember Mom having a special rolling pin to make them (had squares with various "imprints" to put into the cookies).
    I'm searching for a German firms catalog of gifts for Christmas. Knives ect.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom