HOA letter, what are the odds they side in my favor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've drawn the ire of the HOA. We finally got our boat back and have kept it on site to do some deep cleaning/drying and trailer wiring. After 19 years the insulation for the right turn signal wore off and then wore through the paint shorting it to ground. I think a mouse had done some chewing as well.

As expected the HOA noticed an sent their "Courtesy Letter" informing me that
    5.10 7

No motor homes, boats, commercial trucks, motorcycles, or other vehicles other than personal vehicles may be left on a driveway or in front of a home over night.
    Here is the fun part, it is neither on my driveway or in front of the house, it is behind the driveway bedside the back of the house. Reached out to the management company rep and pointed this out.

What are the odds that he accepts that we are actually compliant or if he attempts to interpret the code? :popcorn:

While it is convenient to be able to keep it on site for a bit we don't intend to make a big fight over it either way.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    They'll just cite something about your lawn or an accessory building or whatever else to draw the same conclusion. I think the odds are strongly in your favor that you have a week or less to get your work done and get it back where you normally store it.

Your odds are 100% that at least 5 guys are about to talk about how much they hate HOAs. :laugh:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They'll just cite something about your lawn or an accessory building or whatever else to draw the same conclusion. I think the odds are strongly in your favor that you have a week or less to get your work done and get it back where you normally store it.

Your odds are 100% that at least 5 guys are about to talk about how much they hate HOAs. :laugh:
    haha, most likely. Part of me wants to know if someone complained or the management company does drive-bys on a regular basis. The letter says I have 20 days :D. Should be plenty of time to finish the rewire and use it once more before taking it back to it's usual home. Roughly an hour away.

Everything about an HOA is evil but they're hard to get away from if you want to live in a populated area. Being free of HOAs is likely a retirement goal for us.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Sounds like you have some nosey neighbors :rolleyes: HOA's for the most part (been living with one the last 29 Y ears)are good if enforced fairly. But I find this is rarely the case.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    haha, most likely. Part of me wants to know if someone complained or the management company does drive-bys on a regular basis. The letter says I have 20 days :D. Should be plenty of time to finish the rewire and use it once more before taking it back to it's usual home. Roughly an hour away.

Everything about an HOA is evil but they're hard to get away from if you want to live in a populated area. Being free of HOAs is likely a retirement goal for us.

That is legitimately quite fair, IMO. The way I'm reading the whole situation, you basically get 30 days in a shot by the time the letter gets sent and all of that.

As to your suspicions, I'd guess that someone with nothing better to do and no one better to do it to decided to whine about it. As regards HOAs in general, one that is intended to keep people from being complete morons would be pretty much fine with me since most people don't know how to act anymore. The kind that complain about a boat in decent condition or 3.5" grass when the regulation is 3.25", yeah, I'll pass on that.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    IMO The problem with HOAs is that a developer drafts the initial rules with no input from homeowners. These rules then become the default even though homeowners may not agree with them and can't even change them until the developer turns over control of the association. By that time it's hard to get enough homeowners together to even make an official vote until you alter the bylaws. They're then enforced by management companies who's only purpose is to go and find people in violation and send them letters in the name of "keeping the neighborhood property values high".

They also have WAY too much power over homeowners with the ability to levy daily fines, liens, and in some cases even foreclose on a house often with little recourse or due process for the homeowner.

And as someone pointed out, boats, RVs, and camping trailers are usually nicer than the cars parked in driveways.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hello, KellyinAvon 2A Advocate and former HOA Board Vice President.

Full disclosure: I was on a HOA board for 4 years. My wife is currently the VP and was on the board before I was. I'll be on a HOA board again someday, right after hell freezes over.

First off, will it fit in the garage?

Second, you got one letter that says you have 20 days. After that they have to notice it again and send you a more strongly worded letter. After that, there may be lawyers involved so get it done before letter number 3.

Do you know anyone on the board? Our covenants says something about boats, campers, and 24 hours. The board members here understand that people have lives and think 7 days is more appropriate.

I know hell hasn't froze over, but consider attacking from the inside. Infiltrate the board, bring a like-minded neighbor with you.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    IMO The problem with HOAs is that a developer drafts the initial rules with no input from homeowners. These rules then become the default even though homeowners may not agree with them and can't even change them until the developer turns over control of the association. By that time it's hard to get enough homeowners together to even make an official vote until you alter the bylaws. They're then enforced by management companies who's only purpose is to go and find people in violation and send them letters in the name of "keeping the neighborhood property values high".

They also have WAY too much power over homeowners with the ability to levy daily fines, liens, and in some cases even foreclose on a house often with little recourse or due process for the homeowner.

And as someone pointed out, boats, RVs, and camping trailers are usually nicer than the cars parked in driveways.

A few years back there was a change to Indiana Code concerning HOAs and covenants. It would've come on the books 2014-2018 when I was on a board. Could be your covenants is now outside Indiana Code. Worth a look.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    **** HOA’s. Just tryin to help.

When I bought my home I made sure there was no HOA. It’s nice in ways and sucks in others. I’ll take more freedom.

Yep. I'll take zig zaging through the street because nobody uses their damn garages and has too many cars over being told my shutters are 2 shades the wrong color, or my mailbox MUST be purchased from vendor X at a premium after a drunk driver ran over it instead of going to lowes and finding one that is functionally identical and the same basic size and shape.

Or in my neghbors to the east's case, paying $8,000 in landscaping fees (collectively) and the entrance still looks like hell and is overgrown (no mulch, plants too big, etc) trash isnt picked up, and the common areas arent mowed as often as they force residents to mow.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yep. I'll take zig zaging through the street because nobody uses their damn garages and has too many cars over being told my shutters are 2 shades the wrong color, or my mailbox MUST be purchased from vendor X at a premium after a drunk driver ran over it instead of going to lowes and finding one that is functionally identical and the same basic size and shape.

Or in my neghbors to the east's case, paying $8,000 in landscaping fees (collectively) and the entrance still looks like hell and is overgrown (no mulch, plants too big, etc) trash isnt picked up, and the common areas arent mowed as often as they force residents to mow.

I can tell similar stories in the opposite direction about my non-HOA housing situations. One example that comes to mind is the guy I used to live across the street from that played classic rock on his outdoor speakers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for over 10 years. The only time it was ever turned off was when his kid started a garage band! So fun...

What I'll stand firm on is that a bad deal is a bad deal and it doesn't matter what you call it. If you sign up for a crap agreement, it will be.

My personal goal on this is to buy enough land that I'm basically my own neighborhood. We'll see how that works out. :rolleyes:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    According to the rules you stated to begin with, you are not breaking any rules. Throw the letter away and wait for the next listed transgression they might find that you are breaking (non-working/junk/etc sitting on property, think car on blocks)
    In the mean time, make your repairs and get to fishing while there is still time this fall!

Top Bottom