• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have two Vermont Castings Stoves. Very well made. You can find used ones reasonable on CL or Facebook marketplace. Our main stove is the Dutchwest with the catalytic combustor.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    We need to get something too. I'm all all ears for do's and don'ts, goods and bads.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Make sure to keep your stove pipe/chimney clean so it drafts properly and burns well. Don't burn pine or soft woods that create a lot of soot. Use hardwoods that are cured/dried properly and you will have the best results. We use a lot of oak and some cherry since that is what is readily available to us. We always try to have it cut and split for at least 6 months before using but aging for a year is even better.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    We have two Vermont Castings Stoves. Very well made. You can find used ones reasonable on CL or Facebook marketplace. Our main stove is the Dutchwest with the catalytic combustor.

I have a old Defiant Vermont, I keep looking at Vermonts pea coal stoves the last few years to put in my home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sourcing the wood can be an issue if in fact you do not live in or next to the woods.
    Sourcing good hard woods is essential and that is also part of the work involved. I have had luck here in Ingo getting good wood from people I know and trust but they are all an hour or more away. Loading well north of a ric in my truck on Wed. and rolling home with her tail down a bit more than usual and then unloading/stacking in a dry place. That was a full day for us. That was load #2 and it will take 2 more loads to meet our needs for the winter especially since I built the spouse a fire pit.

When sis had her property we drug out/cut split and stacked our wood. 2 good saws and a spliter. And she was an hour away. Brother thats work I don't care who you are. She sold and moved to Florida so we have to source it now. The winter after she moved we found a place that had rics stacked and ready. Used them for 3 years. 3rd year the wood was green and a pain in the butt to use. Had to find another source and let that cure. Now we have a handle on it. Sold the older saw and rarely if ever use the newer one and it will be for sale soon. So if you need one hit me up.

I love people that think we heat for free. Nothing could be farther from the truth. But nothing is more comfy than a warm stove on a cold winters night.

And we cook on ours. Spouse does some really great meals off of it when its cold out and we have it stoked up.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Sourcing the wood can be an issue if in fact you do not live in or next to the woods.
    Sourcing good hard woods is essential and that is also part of the work involved. I have had luck here in Ingo getting good wood from people I know and trust but they are all an hour or more away. Loading well north of a ric in my truck on Wed. and rolling home with her tail down a bit more than usual and then unloading/stacking in a dry place. That was a full day for us. That was load #2 and it will take 2 more loads to meet our needs for the winter especially since I built the spouse a fire pit.

When sis had her property we drug out/cut split and stacked our wood. 2 good saws and a spliter. And she was an hour away. Brother thats work I don't care who you are. She sold and moved to Florida so we have to source it now. The winter after she moved we found a place that had rics stacked and ready. Used them for 3 years. 3rd year the wood was green and a pain in the butt to use. Had to find another source and let that cure. Now we have a handle on it. Sold the older saw and rarely if ever use the newer one and it will be for sale soon. So if you need one hit me up.

I love people that think we heat for free. Nothing could be farther from the truth. But nothing is more comfy than a warm stove on a cold winters night.

And we cook on ours. Spouse does some really great meals off of it when its cold out and we have it stoked up.

I cut and split in house until both of my slaves left home, We have a guy in North Madison co that runs a single axle dump pt that brings me a few loads each summer for 175 dumped next to the house or shop. Its either red or white oak and sometimes ash..

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I love people that think we heat for free. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

A friend of mine is fond of saying: He who heats with wood is twice warmed. Once when you burn it, and once when you cut it.

After growing up heating with wood I really thought I wanted to do the same until I really ran the math on the whole deal, plus my time, energy, and health. It's just not worth it for me. If prepping is the goal, a 500 gallon propane tank was enough to heat my house for an entire winter and most years was cheaper than what wood would have cost me. A second tank would have made more sense.

Of course, Stars rightly diagnosing my fireplace as ready to burn the house down also played a large role in that decision. The man was so honest he told me that he'd probably just demolish it and patch the roof if he was in my position. Gotta appreciate a guy that knows the right thing to sell you is nothing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A friend of mine is fond of saying: He who heats with wood is twice warmed. Once when you burn it, and once when you cut it.

After growing up heating with wood I really thought I wanted to do the same until I really ran the math on the whole deal, plus my time, energy, and health. It's just not worth it for me. If prepping is the goal, a 500 gallon propane tank was enough to heat my house for an entire winter and most years was cheaper than what wood would have cost me. A second tank would have made more sense.

Of course, Stars rightly diagnosing my fireplace as ready to burn the house down also played a large role in that decision. The man was so honest he told me that he'd probably just demolish it and patch the roof if he was in my position. Gotta appreciate a guy that knows the right thing to sell you is nothing.

I got our stove out of a house we were installing a new furnace in for the paltry sum of....You carry it out and it is yours. It was in the finished basement and I had my slaves haul; it up the stairs and load it up. Then into the house. Did all the measuring etc and $650 later (Triple wall stainless flu pipe and accessories to keep it in code) and a full day putting the flu in and we were ready. Then the tile under the stove and the brick wall behind it and we were really ready so yeah....free stove cost me a grand basically. And we did all the work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im planning on a stove downstairs eventually. One of the cool newer features, at least on pellet stoves, are some now have a (outside) fresh air intake for the firebox. So unlike a standard stove, its not drawing air out of the house to feed the fire/send smoke up the chimney (and bringing in cold air that has to be heated)

These draw fresh air from outside for combustion so no internal air used for the firebox, making the unit more efficient.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    so yeah....free stove cost me a grand basically. And we did all the work.

Yep... Plus the saws, and gas, and truck, and effort, and stacking, and dragging it in all winter... Yuck. Propane is cheap. :)

I do like a good wood stove though and would love to have one. It would be a luxury/emergency thing for me though.

These draw fresh air from outside for combustion so no internal air used for the firebox, making the unit more efficient.

I might be telling you something you already know here, but once you get a hot one really rolling and shut the damper down to maintain it, they don't really seem to draw that much air to stay rolling. I'd personally rather take the efficiency hit and burn X% more wood than I'd want to cut another hole in the house. Whatever it sucks around doors/windows/etc is going to leak no matter what I do anyhow. Just my opinion, of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Im planning on a stove downstairs eventually. One of the cool newer features, at least on pellet stoves, are some now have a (outside) fresh air intake for the firebox. So unlike a standard stove, its not drawing air out of the house to feed the fire/send smoke up the chimney (and bringing in cold air that has to be heated)

That is a cool feature but we have found that allowing some fresh air into the house while the stove is doing its thing is a plus. Our stove is not large. But it can and will run you out of the house if you let go. If it gets up on the high end of the spectrum I will crack a wind in the back and it the kitchen. Allowing the crisp fresh air into the house removes just a bit of the cabin fever. At least for us. You will find that you can very easily over heat with one.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I put this Drolet 1.5 in a 768 sq ft space in 2017. It runs well and will make you open the windows in January when burning cherry, walnut, hickory. It's made in Canada as is all the Selkirk pluming.

Stove-Hearth-13-Finished2.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. You are both right. Stoves dont take as much air once rolling as a fireplace, but I'll take every last drop of efficiency I can take. I can seal up the intake pipe easily. Yes, doors and windows will still leak air, but I dont need to ENCOURAGE it by creating a vacuum.

Adding an extra hour and maybe $50 in parts to the install is no big deal in the long run and should pay for itself.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau

I agree.
    Been looking for a wood cookstove with this feature and I'm yet to find one.
    Some of these modern, well built homes are so airtight with the housewrap, windows and doors, that keeping a fire lit can be an issue when closed up.
    A lack of oxygen to keep a woodfire going, while sleeping, could potentially be the last health issue you deal with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. You are both right. Stoves dont take as much air once rolling as a fireplace, but I'll take every last drop of efficiency I can take. I can seal up the intake pipe easily. Yes, doors and windows will still leak air, but I dont need to ENCOURAGE it by creating a vacuum.

Adding an extra hour and maybe $50 in parts to the install is no big deal in the long run and should pay for itself.

You completely missed the entire point of heating with wood my friend. Relax and enjoy all the perks that go with it. We do. Remember I do this stuff for a living. Sometimes overthink is exactly that. Over thinking. Yeah do the OSA attachment. Sounds pretty cool. And when that thing runs you out of the basement (and it will...:):) just crack a couple of windows and enjoy.....:)_:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree.
    Been looking for a wood cookstove with this feature and I'm yet to find one.
    Some of these modern, well built homes are so airtight with the housewrap, windows and doors, that keeping a fire lit can be an issue when closed up.
    A lack of oxygen to keep a woodfire going, while sleeping, could potentially be the last health issue you deal with.

It would be very easy to add this feature to your stove or the area it is installed in. Very easy.

Top Bottom