• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm done ****ing with this thing. I've replaced the battery, the solenoid and as of today the starter and I can't get it to crank. I don't have the ability to pull start it even if it did have a pull rope and don't have anything I can use to turn it over quick enough to see if it'll run as is. So I need a mechanic who is would be willing to take a look at it for me. Preferably north of Indy, I'll drop it off and pick it up and I'll pay for the repair of course. I hate small engines and they hate me. If it won't run I'll push it into the woods and let it rot.

rAFDK2R.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Blades are not engaged. There is a lever you move over to engage a pulley which starts the blades moving. It's off.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Do you have full battery voltage on one side of the starter solenoid?
    When you turn the key do you get full battery voltage on the small wire on the starter solenoid? If not follow the wiring back with a meter or test light.

Get a meter, and follow the safety circuit..

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'd come over and take a look if I could...but it's a bit far for me.

The first thing I would personally do if I were there and verified the battery was good was use jumper cables to jump the starter. If it works, it's somewhere upstream in the switch...but since I'm not there, I can't say where I would go from there.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    PM inbound. I have a neighbor who specializes in small engines and is highly recommended.
    We are in Westfield so that is not too far for you.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Replace the switch.

If it was cranking, I would say test the coils / spark plugs.

The fact that it won't click or crank leads me to believe that it is a bad key switch.

Once you get it to crank, if it wont start i can troubleshoot it from there. I'm not a mechanic, but I work the parts counter at a John Deere dealer. Troubleshooting these issues is what I do all day.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    See if it has a low oil shutdown sensor. It may interrupt the start circuit as well as the run circuit. Had a small generator pull that cutie.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I will offer up my labor free to fix it for you. I am north of Indy, but it's probably a 100 miles. If you want to make the drive I'm more than willing. You might want to make sure it's not seized, and give the oil sensor BG was talking about a look before you make the decision.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Lorens mower and small engine in Elwood has been very good to me. Not too far from you.

Don't let it get under your skin. Having a checklist of things to look at is a good place to start. It has to be fuel, air or spark. Last mower problem I had was a bad battery ground at the chassis end.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lorens mower and small engine in Elwood has been very good to me. Not too far from you.

Don't let it get under your skin. Having a checklist of things to look at is a good place to start. It has to be fuel, air or spark. Last mower problem I had was a bad battery ground at the chassis end.
    Since he doesn't even get any clicks, I'm voting on a problem with the safety circuit(s)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I need to find someone here as well. I have a Kohler Courage engined mower. Won't start. Has spark, flywheel key good, valves adjusted, has compression, carb solenoid working. Tried 2 batteries. It turns over but won't start....

Top Bottom