• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does anyone know if such a device exist?
    I'm looking for a 2 pole switch where 1 switch dims LED lights and the 2nd switch is just on/off for a different light.

white-lutron-dimmers-ma-l3s25-wh-c3_1000.jpg

Something like this. Note this version/brand DOES not work with LED to dim them. I need to dim the LED.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I'm looking for a 2 pole switch where 1 switch dims LED lights and the 2nd switch is just on/off for a different light.

Something like this. Note this version/brand DOES not work with LED to dim them. I need to dim the LED.
    They sell them at home depot

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Make sure that the LED is rated to be used with a dimmer. I have also found that LEDs give off a lot of noise in the line if not grounded properly.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

You can probably make this one work with the LEDs if the LEDs are rated to dim. I added a bunch of Lutron Caseta switches to the house last year. Some of my LEDs were rated to dim but wouldn't natively work with the switches. I had to add one of these https://amzn.com/B0716BDNFB along with the lights to make everything cooperate. Just tie it on with the lights and neutral wire. Can be done in the switch box or at the lights if needed.

Do you have enough space in the wall to break out the single gang box and add a double? Then you could just use two standard size switches.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You can probably make this one work with the LEDs if the LEDs are rated to dim. I added a bunch of Lutron Caseta switches to the house last year. Some of my LEDs were rated to dim but wouldn't natively work with the switches. I had to add one of these https://amzn.com/B0716BDNFB along with the lights to make everything cooperate. Just tie it on with the lights and neutral wire. Can be done in the switch box or at the lights if needed.

Do you have enough space in the wall to break out the single gang box and add a double? Then you could just use two standard size switches.

I bought these LED lights for the kitchen and have installed them.

Commercial Electric, Ultra Slim 6 in. Color Selectable New Construction and Remodel Canless Recessed Integrated LED Kit (4-Pack)
    Internet #310114064
    Model # 91478
    Store SKU #1004655271

By the sink is a 2 gang box that has 2 switches on one side and an outlet on the door. The outlet is for the toaster oven/blender/etc. The top switch is for a small light over the sink. The bottom switch is for the 2 existing canopy lights that the kitchen had. I removed those 2 and added these 4 LED along with 2 more LED on the other side of kitchen where stove is at. So now its real bright :) in the kitchen but I can't dim them. I don't really need to dim them as I like it bright but its one of those things to have since its possible.

I'll try out the switch I posted and see if it will work.
    The other idea I was toying with was just use a single dimmer where the 2 switches are and disconnect the small sink light. Don't see a need for that light at this point. I won't use it. It could be a good "away from home light" but I have other lights in kitchen on timers for just that reason. Plus its the old long bulb type of light so not really energy efficient like the LEDs.

The device you posted would I need 1 per light or just 1 for that entire light circuit?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The device you posted would I need 1 per light or just 1 for that entire light circuit?
    Per dimmer switch/light circuit.

I have a number of these https://amazon.com/B079C8DQ6Y and the Aeotec part resolved my issues with them, one installed in the switch box, the other at the light fixture because there was no neutral in the switch box. Been working for over a year now dimming perfectly. I suspect it will work for your use case as well. Lutron sells a similar device but it didn't work as well for me. Ultimately the switches that don't use a neutral wire need to send some power through the lights to work. Since LEDs don't have much resistance odd things happen. Most people say the lights don't completely turn off, in my case they would start dim and ramp up to full brightness then they would shut off again and repeat the cycle. In other dimming fixtures I've stuck with Phillips Dimmable LEDs and they seem to work without any extra parts.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had the issue with a motion switch in my garage not fully turning off my LEDs. Instead of turning off when the switch would stop sensing motion, the bulbs would just give off an eerie glow. I replaced one of the bulbs with a 25w incandescent and problem solved. I might have to try one of those resistors.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As a guy that designs dimmers for a living, I can honestly say I hate line voltage dimming (aka phase cut). It's only gotten worse with LED.

I stick to 0-10V control whenever possible.

Top Bottom