• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I got a call from our pastor today. Somebody parked a travel trailer in our parking lot and left without going in and talking to someone, or even leaving a note. (I'm currently the trustee chair, so I'm responsible for the property)

I pulled up the cameras and sure enough, there it sat, at a weird tilt like it had a flat. So I stopped by to check it out on my way home.

Pretty sure they dumped it. Hasnt been plated since 2017, the door window is busted out like somebody broke into it, and it was towed in minus a wheel. (leaving gouges in our freshly sealed asphalt :xmad::xmad::xmad:)

Then I noticed it was tagged by DNR on Friday with a 72 hour impound warning. So it appears they moved it from wherever it was so it wouldnt get confiscated. Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt and not call IMPD right away to have it towed, just in case they are coming back with a new wheel to get it home.

So here is where the thread title comes in. Who can I call to find out more details as to where it came from when it was tagged? I have the officer's badge number on the tag, so I assume he could tell me where he tagged it.

On one hand I dont want to be a dick and tow it when it was just somebody trying to get it home and lost a wheel so they had to stop. But I also dont want to waste too much time with it taking up space. I'm sure IMPD will have to tag it first and let it sit a couple days anyway.

Or just say "screw 'em" and call IMPD immediately to have it tagged?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it's there, no harm in giving them 24 hours to contact someone or pick it up. If it's there tomorrow tow it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It releases you from being a butthead and having it towed right away.
    But I would call the DNR and get that info. If they know who owned it and that owner just dumped it then yeah......bust some butt.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It releases you from being a butthead and having it towed right away.
    But I would call the DNR and get that info. If they know who owned it and that owner just dumped it then yeah......bust some butt.

Tracking with my thoughts.

My main thought is if the CO knows it wasnt removed but instead dumped elsewhere so it wouldnt be confiscated, he might want to have it towed asap from its new hiding place since they dont appear to have done the right thing. I dont want to call IMPD and waste their time going through the same waiting game when the original agency might want to continue their action. Or they may say "Let IMPD handle it".

Now to start digging into who to call to get in contact with a CO so they can patch me through to the one I'm looking for.

Other than the initial damage to the parking lot, its not harming anyone where it sits right now. They did the right think and didnt just drop the jack on our asphalt and used a block. We can afford to wait a day.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Somebody parked a travel trailer in our parking lot and left without going in and talking to someone, or even leaving a note.

(leaving gouges in our freshly sealed asphalt :xmad::xmad::xmad:)

On one hand I dont want to be a dick and tow it

Or just say "screw 'em" and call IMPD immediately to have it tagged?

Tow Away now.

No note makes them the dick. Property damage they will never pay for makes them a dick. Already kicked out of somewhere else by DNR because they were previously being a dick.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Tow Away now.

No note makes them the dick. Property damage they will never pay for makes them a dick. Already kicked out of somewhere else by DNR because they were previously being a dick.

I see your point. I just downloaded the video to make sure I had a copy. I'll review it in the AM. (we also have audio, so any conversations could be heard)

And I'll give them a pass on the damage. The damage is only a consideration in my mind because its a <4 month seal job. I would say its only a $30 tub of sealer and 20 minutes of work. We need to seal another section ourselves anyway, so the actual damage is minor and will just be used as part of the leftovers from the other job. Its not like we have giant gouges that will require re-laying asphalt but I see your point. An outsider not aware of the situation wouldnt think twice about the scuffs.

I had to run over and grab something so I decided to trace the scrapes backwards. Given the marks on the pavement, and how I cant find any up the road beyond the 4 way stop they went through, my money is on they lost a wheel approaching the intersection and dropped it in our lot because they had to stop. I see intermittent drag marks approaching the intersection, and an arc through the intersection, but cant find any more prior.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I wouldn't tow it immediately.

Question for you tho, if it is on private property why can't you just have it towed and not involve IMPD?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldn't tow it immediately.

Question for you tho, if it is on private property why can't you just have it towed and not involve IMPD?

I reviewed the camera footage this AM. It includes audio. Its hard to hear, but a guy on a harley pulled up right after he pulled in and started unhooking. Im pretty sure I heard one of them say to the other "it might be worth coming back for it." So now I wonder if the guy who dropped it isnt the actual owner, but somebody taking advantage of what he believes to be abandoned property and snag it before DNR took it. While trying to tow it home, he lost a wheel and found someplace to ditch it and cut his losses.

Plus the front door is clearly broken into. The window is broken, and I watched the guy reach through the hole to open the door before he went in for a few minutes to get some stuff out of the trailer. He tossed whatever that was in his truck and left.

Top Bottom