• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone know a store or Amish farm that sells milk and/or cream near Ft. Wayne?

I want to do some cooking with pure heavy cream but every single store I've found heavy cream in is always whipping, which means additives. I asked some Amish down by my pond and there were no Amish dairies he knew about SE of Decatur.

The sad reality is that my neighbor down there offered me an unlimited supply of milk from him last week. His cows were producing a massive amount and he was pouring gallons down the drain, but soon his calves will be born and his cows will be using all of it. I am needing it for Thanksgiving so that did me no good. Plus, I am looking for a more dependable source.

Thanks,

Doug

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I am needing it for Thanksgiving so that did me no good. Plus, I am looking for a more dependable source.

Can't help you with what you directly asked, but I've had excellent success with freezing store bought milk in the past. I don't know if cream straight from the farm would be any different? :dunno:

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Try the Gordon food service store on Illinois rd. In Ft. Wayne, if they don’t have it in stock they can order it in for you.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My usual heavy cream is organic milk and gellan gum, a natural gelatin. It is ultra pasteurized so the natural bacteria is killed (long shelf life) hence the need for a bacteria replacement.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Been up to Corunna? There's a grocery up there that has some funky old fashioned stuff, like pork brains. It's worth the trip from time to time, anyway.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    any milk the is not pasteurized will have heavy cream in it.
    you will just have to wait until it comes to the top and skim it off .
    i would bet you could find an Amish that would sale you some

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, mea culpa.

I found all natural cream at the Three Rivers Co - Op. It is Kalona Natural @ $7.99 / 32 fl oz.

I need to follow up on the Decatur brand, haven't checked that out yet.

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just out of curiosity, what is it you plan to make that you donÂ’t want any additives included?

Good, pure food. Nothing more.

Go to the big box store and look at the price of a whole chicken. Then go to a real butcher. Why is it cheaper per pound at the box store? Not just bulk purchasing, but because often time the box store chicken has a diaper in there with it, soaking up the water that was injected upping the weight. The butchers is more expensive, but nothing except chicken.

I try to make my own chicken stock. When I make it from scratch I get to control 100% of all of the ingredients. Zero extra salt, zero additives. Just clean, fresh stock. Don't take me for a purist all the time. I'll but stock in the box, but I like to know how to do it right.

It's really about control. Kindof like those expert, long range target competition shooters. How many use ammo off the shelf v/s hand loading their own ammo? I knew a guy who competition shot and he would never use store ammo. Always hand loaded himself. That way he could control every aspect of the round.

After taking several cooking classes it has made me appreciate just how much control we have lost over the simplest thing - eating. Much of what we put in our mouth and our body is completely out of our control. We just take for granted all of the chemical tastes until they are removed.

Finding pure cream is just the beginning. Depending upon what I will make later will require specific fat content. For making some products I may be able to get away with 20% milkfat. But for others I may need 45% milkfat. The first step is finding pure cream. From there it may get even more difficult.

With milk or cream you can make: butter, cheese, buttermilk, creme fraiche, and maybe something else I am not thinking of. Oh yeah, and you can whip it and put it on top of pecan pie.:)

I also like history. I like the idea of experiencing food the way our ancestors did. There is a guy Townsend (https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson ) who shows things like our founding fathers would have eaten.

I learned that historically most carrots were not orange. That was what the market liked so that is what was cultivated. Original carrots looked like this: external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg When was the last time most people have seen carrots of these colours?

Now, if only I could find live gagh...:(

Regards,

Doug

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    There is an Amish Grocery store in Grabill if you get that way ever. It's right behind the Save-a-lot. Seems like an odd location, but it's back there.

Top Bottom