• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    We'd like to put a decent sized flagpole at our new house to support flying 2 flags at the same time. I figured there are several folks here who have flagpoles on their property and wanted to get your input. I live out in the country so there's no restrictions, HOAs or that kind of thing. I'm going to be putting this about 500' from the road so something short and thing is probably not going to be seen well from the road.

Are there flagpole vendors that you prefer or that I should stay away from?
    Is there a height preference for the pole? It'll be about 500' from the road and clearly visible.
    Size of pole for strength to hold two flags, material thickness, etc.?
    Some poles go down in bad weather, is this recommended or just a gimmick?

What else should I be considering when picking a flagpole?

Thanks !
    Mike

(I did some searching of the forum and found several older threads so wanted to start something more recent.)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My brother had an outfit called Rocket Enterprise out of Warren, MI come out and install one at his place about a year and a half ago. 25' brushed satin pole and complete install ran him $1135. I'm planning to buy from them based on his experience but will install it myself to save some money.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm looking to get one as well. Thinking 30'.
    My brother had an outfit called Rocket Enterprise out of Warren, MI come out and install one at his place about a year and a half ago. 25' brushed satin pole and complete install ran him $1135. I'm planning to buy from them based on his experience but will install it myself to save some money.
    How much are you saving by installing yourself, if you dont mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    I have had a telescoping flagpole from Uncommon USA that has held up very well. I have had mine for 20 years, and even the residential version can fly two flags. (I do it all the time - US flag and Gadsden flag). Uncommon USA has a commercial version that would Seemingly fit your needs.

I do not live in the country, do have a HOA but find that I like to take down the flagpole in inclement weather as well. Their website is here: https://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/commercial-flagpoles.html

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I have had a telescoping flagpole from Uncommon USA that has held up very well. They have commercial versions that would fit your needs.

I do not live in the country, do have a HOA but find that I like to take down the flagpole in inclement weather as well. Their website is here: https://www.uncommonflagpoles.com/commercial-flagpoles.html
    That's what I have. Installed it myself on a Saturday morning. Has a solar light at the top. Quality piece.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I have had a telescoping flagpole from Uncommon USA that has held up very well. I have had mine for 20 years, and even the residential version can fly two flags. (I do it all the time - US flag and Gadsden flag). Uncommon USA has a commercial version that would Seemingly fit your needs.

Are you flying two 3x5 flags or a different size? I just don't want to overload the flagpole.

Mike

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a 35 foot pole (31 foot visible), bought it used cause it was originally a 40 foot pole that the original owner snapped 4 foot aboved base from excessive wind load.

Things you must consider, will you be flying 2-3x5's, or 1 -3x5 & and 4x6 or 5x8.

Just to give a insight, my pole got slightly bent from flying a 5x8 U.S. flag and a 3x5 Indiana State Flag from a 70mph wing gust that also snapped a 20 foot
    telescoping pole. I now fly a 4x6 and a 3x5, and my telescopic pole no longer has a flag on it, but I have wireless 3n1 weather station on it (wind speed/temp/humidity).

I bought my pole from Triple AAA Specialties, for $1000 back in 2004, it is anchored in a 4 foot PVC Schedule 80 tube in concrete, the pole is placed in the tube and packed/filled with sand to keep the pole in place.

It was placed in sand so that if the pole needs to be serviced or leveled vertically again (like mine being slightly bent) it can be done with very little trouble. BTW, Triple AAA came out about 2 months ago, took the pole out, replaced my halyard rope because it was broke, re-installed the pole and corrected the kilter from the slight bend for only $100.00

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Whatever you decide, please fly the flag properly by illuminating it at night or take it down at sunset. Thank you!

^^^^
    This!

I bought a 6000 Lumen LED flood with a dusk to dawn sensor built in to replace my costly halite lighting and put one in the back yard to light up the night.

Also, please keep your flag in good shape and when it gets tattered and torn, fold it up properly and drop it off at your local American Legion for proper disposal.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a 35 foot pole (31 foot visible), bought it used cause it was originally a 40 foot pole that the original owner snapped 4 foot aboved base from excessive wind load.

Things you must consider, will you be flying 2-3x5's, or 1 -3x5 & and 4x6 or 5x8.

Just to give a insight, my pole got slightly bent from flying a 5x8 U.S. flag and a 3x5 Indiana State Flag from a 70mph wing gust that also snapped a 20 foot
    telescoping pole. I now fly a 4x6 and a 3x5, and my telescopic pole no longer has a flag on it, but I have wireless 3n1 weather station on it (wind speed/temp/humidity).

I bought my pole from Triple AAA Specialties, for $1000 back in 2004, it is anchored in a 4 foot PVC Schedule 80 tube in concrete, the pole is placed in the tube and packed/filled with sand to keep the pole in place.

It was placed in sand so that if the pole needs to be serviced or leveled vertically again (like mine being slightly bent) it can be done with very little trouble. BTW, Triple AAA came out about 2 months ago, took the pole out, replaced my halyard rope because it was broke, re-installed the pole and corrected the kilter from the slight bend for only $100.00

Good to know. I am in same area as you from looking at your location, and at the home we just purchased this time last year, I inherited a flag pole. It's lit, with dusk till dawn sensor, and has an American flag flying. To be honest I have not checked it out a lot, but doesn't appear to have any rope, etc to lower the flag, so it appears to be a sectioned or telescoping pole. In any case for future reference is this the place https://www.aspecialties.us/flagpoles/ ? I'll have to look into them if I end up needing any maintenance, etc.

I probably need to look at some new flags, etc. I understand previous homeowner used to fly various flags depending on time of year, etc. I first need to figure out how the section or telescoping even works on it.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

I second or 3rd Uncommon USA. Bought at the Home Show and think I saved a few Bucks. Set up to Fly 2 Flags, have flown 5X8 without a Problem. The Taller the Better IMO, mine is either 20' or 25' Easy Install, no ropes or pulleys. :yesway::rockwoot:;)

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Good to know. I am in same area as you from looking at your location, and at the home we just purchased this time last year, I inherited a flag pole. It's lit, with dusk till dawn sensor, and has an American flag flying. To be honest I have not checked it out a lot, but doesn't appear to have any rope, etc to lower the flag, so it appears to be a sectioned or telescoping pole. In any case for future reference is this the place https://www.aspecialties.us/flagpoles/ ? I'll have to look into them if I end up needing any maintenance, etc.

I probably need to look at some new flags, etc. I understand previous homeowner used to fly various flags depending on time of year, etc. I first need to figure out how the section or telescoping even works on it.

That's them

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Had the residential version installed at our old house, out in the middle of know where with hardly a tree in sight for blocking the wind. Easy to put up and down. Never bent, even in the gnarliest of wind conditions with 2 flags on it.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Either, there are buttons needing pushed in to let the pole telescope, or it's a twist type where you twist one section to loosen/tighten it.

Top Bottom