Anyone have experience with Progressive Ins?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Progressive has covered my Harley for years, with no complaints. I am looking at switching over my house and my cars to Progressive, but I don't really know anyone who has used them for that. Just looking for good, bad, or ugly about them before I switch. Thoughts?? :dunno:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Concerning their car insurance... I made a claim against one of their clients who lied to them about what happened and it was on private property so it was my word against his. I thought I was in for gigantic battle. I explained the truth to the adjuster and that was that. The body shop quoted a bumper repair, some trim, and some other paint work. I told the adjuster the bumper wasn't repaired before, so they bought me a new OEM bumper instead. I pretty much doubled the size of the bill with one complaint, and they paid it.

So... NOT being their customer, and their customer working against me, they still 100% did the right thing and perhaps beyond. I wouldn't have any issue becoming a progressive customer, but they've been almost the most expensive option when I've checked around in the past.

YMMV with all of that.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've had two claims with them and they were both resolved very fast. My only complaint would be that one of those claims was for an accident where a guy with a twice suspended license ran a stop sign into me when I had the right of way. Even though the police report was pretty clear that there was no way I was in the wrong, they had it as an at fault accident on my record for about 3 months.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    They've been the cheapest my insurance broker has found for the last 6 years. They love people like me because I'm old with no points or accidents. Never had a claim or used their road side assistance so they gladly take my money.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We've had progressive for our vehicles for over 10 years. No complaints but haven't had to use them either.

Once every year or so I call them up and ask if any new discounts are available and they usually make an adjustment to make a bill a little cheaper. Definitely like that

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've had two claims with them and they were both resolved very fast. My only complaint would be that one of those claims was for an accident where a guy with a twice suspended license ran a stop sign into me when I had the right of way. Even though the police report was pretty clear that there was no way I was in the wrong, they had it as an at fault accident on my record for about 3 months.

There are some uptight actuaries that say there is no driver that has absolute zero fault in any accident. For example had you chosen not to be on the road that day, taken a different path, etc. the accident couldnt have happened. So therefore you must claim at least SOME fault. Even if the fault ratio is 95%/5%, you still bear some fault in the accident.

Stupid I know.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Ive had them for my vehicle, motorcycle, and home since I was 18, no complaints but ive never had to file a claim for anything (knock on wood). Their customer service is on point when i have needed things done such as switching from renters to homeowners, adding, and dropping vehicles, etc. Their roadside assistance is phenomenal as well, I keep it on my motorcycle and Fiancés vehicle in case something happens and im not around. She had her old clunker blow up and they towed it straight to the junkyard for me to scrap it. Probably 2 weeks later she got her new Grand Cherokee and came out of work to a flat tire and they had someone there within a half hour to throw the spare on. Plus their rates have been the best I have found thus far at 26 years old.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i used to have them for home owners, when I asked to add a writer covering excess firearms. they wanted to complete inventory with serial numbers and everything and when I provided them a list they suddenly had an underwriter call me ask why I had so many and asked way too many questions about firearms. so I dropped them

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    i used to have them for home owners, when I asked to add a writer covering excess firearms. they wanted to complete inventory with serial numbers and everything and when I provided them a list they suddenly had an underwriter call me ask why I had so many and asked way too many questions about firearms. so I dropped them

Wow... I have State Farm and they've never commented on my collection. Sounds like you got a nosey underwriter!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Wow... I have State Farm and they've never commented on my collection. Sounds like you got a nosey underwriter!

Mild thread jacking in progress...

I'm curious about your experience with State Farm on that (I'm with them) because I'm 99% certain they wanted a schedule with serials and all of that from me too, as did every other provider I called. I went with Lockton via the NRA. That's actually the original reason I became a member.

You might want to look more deeply into your SF coverage too as many providers won't cover firearms accessories (holsters, scopes, mags, etc), which Lockton does.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I'm curious about your experience with State Farm on that (I'm with them) because I'm 99% certain they wanted a schedule with serials and all of that from me too, as did every other provider I called. I went with Lockton via the NRA. That's actually the original reason I became a member.

You might want to look more deeply into your SF coverage too as many providers won't cover firearms accessories (holsters, scopes, mags, etc), which Lockton does.

It's pretty standard - pictures, serial numbers, plus the value I assign to them (which they actually usually increase somewhat). I generally add at least 10% myself over what I paid, but they tend to go even higher than that. I don't list my accessories unless it's a rifle with a scope, that I just include in the picture. I think I'm covered up to $5000 just with my regular homeowner's which would be plenty to cover my accessories. The firearms is a separate policy altogether (Personal Property policy), but you probably already knew that.

One thing that was kinda funny at first... Despite me including the picture of the rifle, for awhile they had one of my Arisakas listed as a camera. :n00b: I'm guessing they just saw the Japanese name and assumed it must be a camera. :):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It's pretty standard - pictures, serial numbers, plus the value I assign to them (which they actually usually increase somewhat). I generally add at least 10% myself over what I paid, but they tend to go even higher than that. I don't list my accessories unless it's a rifle with a scope, that I just include in the picture. I think I'm covered up to $5000 just with my regular homeowner's which would be plenty to cover my accessories. The firearms is a separate policy altogether (Personal Property policy), but you probably already knew that.

One thing that was kinda funny at first... Despite me including the picture of the rifle, for awhile they had one of my Arisakas listed as a camera. :n00b: I'm guessing they just saw the Japanese name and assumed it must be a camera. :):

You don't have to do any of that with Lockton. You decide the dollar amount you want to be covered up to and off to the races you go. No serials, no pictures, etc (unless any single firearm is worth more than $2500, those they make you document). I never had it quoted through SF, but Lockton was radically cheaper than my previous home owner's provider. I want to say it's something like $150 annually per $10k in coverage, give or take.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I had an expensive claim that was my fault, and they took care of everything, with only a slight increase in rates. Can't recommend them highly enough. Anybody care to guess what a utility pole with transformers costs?

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have Progressive for cars and motorcycles. Have had a couple of claims wiithout any issues. Called them about home owners coverage, their quote came in quite a bit lower than State Farm and Allstate. However, the actual insurer was National General, all Progressive does is collect the premium.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yes, have a conversation with your agent. (this is from memory so it could be slightly off) If you add a rider onto your homeowners to boost the amount, you need a schedule filed with them with all the details. (serials, values, etc) And you have to keep it updated every time you buy/sell.

But if you choose a separate policy (I forget the name, but its for jewelry, furs, and other higher value hobby items) you just choose your dollar value and start paying the appropriate premium and away you go. You only have to give them the info when you file the claim. That will also cover accessories because you are paying for replacement value coverage. The only way you get screwed is if you buy a bunch of new guns and exceed the max value and you have a total loss.

EDIT: And I was advised that unless I just had one more gun and just needed to bump the coverage slightly (from $2K to $3K) it was actually cheaper and easier to use the separate coverage. You end up paying MUCH more for a homeowners rider for say a $8k rider or higher. She said she did have a few customers doing it that way, but they had special circumstances like somebody else paying for homeowners so they lumped it in so they didnt have to pay out of pocket for just the guns.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I've had Progressive for over 10 years.

Customer Service:
    Always had good luck with them. Can always get someone on the phone. Their app on my phone is really great, and I can do nearly everything through it. Overall, just easy to use and easy to deal with.

Cost:
    Progressive has always been the cheapest for me. Periodically, I will check Geico, State Farm, Allstate, etc. Progressive is still the cheapest. If you plug in their "Snapshot" device, and are a careful driver for 6 months, you can save even more.

Claims:
    I've had 2 claims. 1st claim, I got rear-ended. Progressive had a rental car for me by the end of the day, and handled everything. Very stress free.
    2nd claim, a lady pulled out in front of my daughter and my daughter T-boned her. Totaled my daughter's car. We had a check for a VERY fair amount in 2 days.
    Both claims have been extremely easy and as stress free as possible.

Top Bottom