• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    This morning I was heading towards Louisville and at about 9:30 or so I was nearing the Georgetown exit on I-64. I saw a very large aircraft flying at a very low altitude heading south, then gained a little altitude and flew more towards Louisville. I was only able to get a couple of quick glimpses of it before the trees blocked my view and with the glare from the sun all I could see was a silhouette. Did anybody else see it and if so, were you able to get a positive ID on type. From what little I saw, I'd almost swear it was a B-52. Or has my cheese slid off the cracker?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This morning I was heading towards Louisville and at about 9:30 or so I was nearing the Georgetown exit on I-64. I saw a very large aircraft flying at a very low altitude heading south, then gained a little altitude and flew more towards Louisville. I was only able to get a couple of quick glimpses of it before the trees blocked my view and with the glare from the sun all I could see was a silhouette. Did anybody else see it and if so, were you able to get a positive ID on type. From what little I saw, I'd almost swear it was a B-52. Or has my cheese slid off the cracker?
    A BUFF in the Louisville area? They are based in North Dakota and Louisiana, but nothing else looks like a BUFF. 2130 is after dark. It would be easier if it was daylight, the BUFF does block out the sun after all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Yes, years ago. That's beside the point.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    News last night said a B-25 was at Bowman field giving rides to WW2 vets. Might have been it.

Parked next to each other you'd never mistake one for the other. In the air, depending on the angle and only catching a glimpse? Very possible.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    News last night said a B-25 was at Bowman field giving rides to WW2 vets. Might have been it.

Nope, single tail, and it was huge!

That stretch of road is right on the flight path to one of Louisville's runways. We see low altitude planes often.

Don
    May be, I've seen other planes before when going through there, but this one was extremely low. My first thought was that it was going to crash, that's how low it was. Might have just been a trick with the sun angle but the fuselage looked way too narrow for a commercial jet. And the kicker is, it was going into Louisville to land, why did it gain altitude after crossing 64?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The final for 17R at Standiford runs the far east side of New Albany/West Side of Clarksville, basically to a hair east of Charlestown Rd @ 265.

Large jets getting vectored for an approach come over Georgetown moving on an easterly or southeasterly heading, but likely won’t be below 3000’ until very near river.

A BUFF cuts a VERY distinct silhouette...long narrow fuselage, massive single vertical tail, highly swept wings (almost that of a 747).

I’ve seen some odd stuff come into SDF...An124s, A330 MRTTs, C5s and 17s. Don’t recall seeing a BUFF outside Thunder week (its an easy roundtrip flight from Barksdale or Minot).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Probably one of the Kentucky ANG C-130s from the Louisville airport.

It's also possible that they may have been hosting a larger aircraft, like a C17. THOSE jets are massive.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    UPS flies a lot of large aircraft in and out of Louisville Intergalactic all hours of the day and night.

I am right in the flight path.

DSCN0669.JPG

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The final for 17R at Standiford runs the far east side of New Albany/West Side of Clarksville, basically to a hair east of Charlestown Rd @ 265.

Large jets getting vectored for an approach come over Georgetown moving on an easterly or southeasterly heading, but likely won’t be below 3000’ until very near river.

A BUFF cuts a VERY distinct silhouette...long narrow fuselage, massive single vertical tail, highly swept wings (almost that of a 747).

I’ve seen some odd stuff come into SDF...An124s, A330 MRTTs, C5s and 17s. Don’t recall seeing a BUFF outside Thunder week (its an easy roundtrip flight from Barksdale or Minot).

That describes what I saw to a T. Unless it was a trick of the terrain/light, what I saw was well under 3000', it appeared to be barely above treetop level. Think I might need to send a email to the PAO at the B52 bases and see if I can get some closure. Actually was thinking about going back to the spot I saw it from and sitting there to see what normal air traffic looks like.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Lots of UPS 747s coming into SDF...highly swept wing, large vert stab, big long fuselage that makes it look lower than it really is. If only a silhouette was seen, could be mistaken for a BUFF.

Sunday around 0930EDT, UPS204 came in from Cologne, Germany; around 1030, UPS81 from Anchorage arrived.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom