• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So I finally tried out a fairly new restaurant this morning and noticed an added charge of 5% to my bill. It was called Temporary COVID-19 Surcharge. The food, atmosphere, coffee and service was really good so I wasn’t too upset about the charge but asked for an explanation. The Mgr explained that they have received an increase in cost for for most items but are starting to see prices come back down. He said that if they continue to come down the surcharge will be eliminated. The menus are printed and laminated so I can understand why marking up items would be a pain in the rear and not make bring the price back down an easy task.

Has anyone else seen a COVID-19 Surcharge like this anywhere else?

The food was really good and I will be back even with the surcharge and if I have the same great service I will leave another 30% tip.

6X4vsVO.jpg

yu4SMHE.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, I have seen it. Several restaurants started this when they began to open back up. Others just raised their menu prices.

I really want businesses to survive this and the thing that has me the maddest about COVID19 is that many business owners are going to lose their dream due to no fault of their own.

So I have been trying to support them as much as I can. I tip more than I have in the past and I'm okay with a surcharge.

If I wasn't, I just wouldn't go.

Good on you Glueman for recognizing that they are just trying to survive and for the generous tip. We all know that the service industry is hurting bad right now, especially servers in restaurants.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yes, I have seen it. Several restaurants started this when they began to open back up. Others just raised their menu prices.

I really want businesses to survive this and the thing that has me the maddest about COVID19 is that many business owners are going to lose their dream due to no fault of their own.

So I have been trying to support them as much as I can. I tip more than I have in the past and I'm okay with a surcharge.

If I wasn't, I just wouldn't go.

Good on you Glueman for recognizing that they are just trying to survive and for the generous tip. We all know that the service industry is hurting bad right now, especially servers in restaurants.

You are right about the service industry hurting right now. I have always considered myself a good tipper but I have stepped up my game during these trying times were in. Most servers only get 1/2 the tables they once did so I’ve upped my game. I really dig deep for the single moms trying to get by.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have seen an increase in pricing locally across the board.

We also leave tips commensurate to the food and service especially now with so many struggling.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    many dentists are adding this also.

it is way more expensive to operate a restaurant now. easier to add a surcharge than reprint all menus. also less permanent

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The Sugar Bowl in Michigan City had a note on the menus and the waitress explained the 2 dollar increase in meat dishes when places were first allowed to reopen. Today the prices are back to normal. We've always tipped 30%+ as the prices are great and service better. Its obviously a Greek owned restaurant and the owner is always around helping out or talking to customers.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    many dentists are adding this also.

it is way more expensive to operate a restaurant now. easier to add a surcharge than reprint all menus. also less permanent

My last dentist did this, with no explanation ahead of time and no real explanation on the bill. Wife asked about it and the reply was simply "we are allowed to charge this". That coupled with other shoddy service has moved my family to another dentist.

That being said, I am happy to help when someone is struggling, just don't be sneaky about it.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I haven't seen this but we went to Chili's last week and they pretty well refused to give us an actual menu. They handed us a sheet with the current specials and said we had to scan a QR code on that then look at the menu on our phones. I got up and started to leave and thats when they finally gave us a real menu but was told they weren't supposed to do that.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I have mixed feelings about this, but if any business only tells me about a surcharge when I'm presented with the bill, I hope the lack of repeat business was worth the hidden charge.

If you're honest, transparent, and the surcharge makes sense I might grumble to myself, but I'll likely accept it. If it is a mom and pop place I would be a lot more forgiving than a chain restaurant slapping us with more charges. We have definitely been tipping a lot more than we usually do since this started, and we tipped generously before all this.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There was a $1 per person charge at the Pancake Pantry in Nashville, TN.

There might have been a notice, but it's been a while since that trip.

The Nashville Biscuit House didn't, but they had clear shower curtain hung between booths...

Our breakfast at the latter was half the price of the former, and no half hour waiting in line; just as tasty. I love sweet potato pancakes, but there is a point where money is a consideration.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't seen this but we went to Chili's last week and they pretty well refused to give us an actual menu. They handed us a sheet with the current specials and said we had to scan a QR code on that then look at the menu on our phones. I got up and started to leave and thats when they finally gave us a real menu but was told they weren't supposed to do that.

IKR.

Went to Wings Etc. and my wife had to give me her phone with the menu. And what am I, the flip phone user (assuming I have it on me), suppose to do?

There was no COVID-19 surcharge, but can we talk about how expensive wings have gotten? Celery? That's extra, too. :rolleyes:

"I can't afford the wings; I'll have prime rib, instead."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IKR.

Went to Wings Etc. and my wife had to give me her phone with the menu. And what am I, the flip phone user (assuming I have it on me), suppose to do?

There was no COVID-19 surcharge, but can we talk about how expensive wings have gotten? Celery? That's extra, too. :rolleyes:

"I can't afford the wings; I'll have prime rib, instead."

Wings have gotten crazy. 18 pcs. from Pizza Hut delivered is like 32 bucks with tip. :faint:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    My last dentist did this, with no explanation ahead of time and no real explanation on the bill. Wife asked about it and the reply was simply "we are allowed to charge this". That coupled with other shoddy service has moved my family to another dentist.

That being said, I am happy to help when someone is struggling, just don't be sneaky about it.

EVERYTHING PPE related increased in cost and our ability to see patients efficiently has been dramatically reduced. I haven't been billing it but probably should start.

Top Bottom