• ...and so much more!
  • AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Recommend a radon mitigation system installer - Indianapolis area

New house has been tested and has a radon problem. Can anyone recommend a radon mitigation system installation company? I've got the state list of certified installers. I've called around to a few of them, and with my luck so far, they either only do commercial or aren't returning my calls (over a week in some cases). Does anybody have any experience or recommendations? Who to use? Who to avoid? Thanks! :ingo:

Last edited:

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I had that done in a house I sold 20 years ago. I feel your pain. That is $600 I will never get back. Can't imagine how I and my family survived the 14 years we lived there. We all probably glow under blue light.

I saw these all highly rated on the webby thing. I'm just passing on the numbers for you to call. They can all give quotes, and it doesn't matter their name. Any of them will show up and relieve you of your money, and you will never notice a difference, except for ugly piping and a fan constantly running.

(317)434-1053

(317) 572-1071

(317) 643-2229

I have never heard of any of them. And I hope to never need them.

Good luck!

By the way, you are not looking for radon installation. You are looking for radon mitigation. Also, if you are in the inspection phase of the home purchase process, that is clearly something that is negotiable as to buyer/seller paying/sharing cost. It is also a reason for being able to walk away from the purchase agreement.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like you've already had your radon installed.

Beat me to it.

Have you gotten a second non-biased opinion.
    I have reasons to say this.

A second test is cheap compared to a mitigation solution.

However, wouldn't whoever did the test on his new house be non-biased?

And if there is a problem, take care of it now, rather than when you move out after you've been inhaling all that...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Beat me to it.

A second test is cheap compared to a mitigation solution.

However, wouldn't whoever did the test on his new house be non-biased?

And if there is a problem, take care of it now, rather than when you move out after you've been inhaling all that...

Depends on who did it.
    When the company I worked for that did tese tests was involved there were a lot of "False" positives with business cards and refferels made.
    I restested 2 houses that friends had used us and found them to be fine. No Radon.
    There was a huge push in these parts some years ago but noyt so much anymore.

Just make sure.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Encountered Radon mitigation when current home was purchased. Asked Realtor friend at that time if I should be concerned with it's affect on the home's value, to which they replied it was becoming more common around us and if anything the performed mitigation added to the home's value in our area. We've already replaced the motor ourselves.
    The design is a pretty simple approach and all components are easily acquired, if one were concerned about cost of install, why wouldn't they just DIY it?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Updated thread title and thread language for accuracy. I knew it, just tired. It’s been the week from hell. 48-hour test with hourly read out was performed. Test was done by an independent home inspector that I hired, not a mitigation company and no company was recommended by the inspector. Concession from home seller was obtained to mitigate the radon. The 48-hour average was about double the EPA limit.

As a geologist with an environmental background, I have a basic understanding of the origin and behavior of radon. What I do not have knowledge of is who to hire to do the mitigation work. Was hoping that someone would have had good or bad direct experience with some of the companies and could share that info and experience. Have not had good luck cold calling some of the various companies - leave message and get no response or I get someone who answers but states they only serve commercial customers and not residential customers. Seems like all kinds of companies (radon mitigation, electricians, exterminators, chimney sweeps, etc.) are all so busy right now that they don’t need my business and can’t be bothered to answer phones or return calls (week plus). Very frustrating. I do finally have some bids for some of these things, but only one so far for radon mitigation, and none for chimney inspection/cleaning. I like to get three bids before making a choice (this habit comes from my work experience, so good on the guys suggesting a second opinion on the testing aspect). Radon is pretty common in this area geologically speaking, so the test results really don’t surprise me at all and I feel comfortable with the test results and representativeness of the test. I just need some mitigation system bids now, preferably from some INGO recommended companies and maybe INGOers can also help me avoid any companies who have done shoddy work or made shady sales pitches/gross oversells.

Thanks for all of the replies so far, keep’em coming :-)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can't speak to their work or quality as we got a quote from them during the sale of our home last year and just did a credit of the amount to the buyer, but here is who did the quote for us and it was not the same company that the buyer had do the test. They did turn the quote around quite quickly. That was about this time last year. It was a contact that our realtor suggested for the quote.

Again, I didn't have them do any work as it was just less trouble for me to credit the buyer and let them either deal with it or not and just pocket the credit.

Affordable Radon & Mold Solutions
    P.O. Box 20785
    Indianapolis, IN 46220
    PH: (317) 291-5888
    Scheduling: (317) 513-9993
    Affordable Radon Solutions - Central Indiana Radon Solution Provider

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I used SWAT Radon a few years ago and they were fine. Overall I think it’s a scam. My level was 5.2 I think, whatever it was was just over the threshold to be mitigated. The home inspector used some super sophisticated machine for their test and after they did the install a simple Carbon test kit you mail in was good enough. I’ve heard some homes in the Meridian-Kessler area have levels in the 20’s, I can see the justification there.

I think I paid $600~$700 for the install but I can’t remember for sure.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I can't speak to their work or quality as we got a quote from them during the sale of our home last year and just did a credit of the amount to the buyer, but here is who did the quote for us and it was not the same company that the buyer had do the test. They did turn the quote around quite quickly. That was about this time last year. It was a contact that our realtor suggested for the quote.

Again, I didn't have them do any work as it was just less trouble for me to credit the buyer and let them either deal with it or not and just pocket the credit.

Affordable Radon & Mold Solutions
    P.O. Box 20785
    Indianapolis, IN 46220
    PH: (317) 291-5888
    Scheduling: (317) 513-9993
    Affordable Radon Solutions - Central Indiana Radon Solution Provider

I used this place 2 years ago when I sold my home with good results. I was in a rush, but the price didn’t seem out of line.

Mike BrennemanRadon Environmental
    (317) 843-0804 ext. 1

Both are good companies to work with.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I used SWAT Radon a few years ago and they were fine. Overall I think it’s a scam. My level was 5.2 I think, whatever it was was just over the threshold to be mitigated. The home inspector used some super sophisticated machine for their test and after they did the install a simple Carbon test kit you mail in was good enough. I’ve heard some homes in the Meridian-Kessler area have levels in the 20’s, I can see the justification there.

I think I paid $600~$700 for the install but I can’t remember for sure.

Never use this company. They use substandard materials like schedule 20 vs. 40 PVC pipe just to name one. The companies above offer a 5 year warranty and stand behind it. SWAT says they do too, but really it is just the fan that has the warranty.

indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    I made a DIY system. Radon has been under two. Since September it has gone up. Last I checked it was reading 17. Fan still running. Don't know what is up with that.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere.

Did a DYI system at my place. Over the years I have all but stopped running the fan. I know the plastic in the crawl is torn in spots. To be honest I haven't taken a reading in years.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I made a DIY system. Radon has been under two. Since September it has gone up. Last I checked it was reading 17. Fan still running. Don't know what is up with that.

A DIY system can be done, mitigation systems are not rocket science, but if you sell few buyers will accept such a system...

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Never use this company. They use substandard materials like schedule 20 vs. 40 PVC pipe just to name one. The companies above offer a 5 year warranty and stand behind it. SWAT says they do too, but really it is just the fan that has the warranty.

This! Their installs don't meet requirements. Licensed in Radon testing, work for a company that does mitigation also, but way up north. They also don't provide a free test afterwards to make sure the system is working and levels are low enough. Look elsewhere!

Top Bottom