• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have heard so much about Trader Joe's that I just had to check out the store on opening day here in Fort Wayne.

Honestly, I was very disappointed. Perhaps it had been overhyped, or perhaps I had read too much into other peoples thoughts on it.

From another thread I have been looking for pure cream or heavy cream, not whipping cream. Not at Trader Joe's. I was looking for fresh tarragon. Not at Trader Joe's. I looked for good, high quality anchovies. Not at Trader Joe's. They did have a good price on olive oil, so I picked some up. They have Arrogant Bastard beer, so naturally I got some. I have had it before and it is good, although a good friend said it fit me. Who am I to argue.

I had to wait in line about 10 minutes. As I went in I intentionally wasn't wearing a mask.:p In all fairness no employees said "boo" about it and no customers had a spastic fit. After several minutes I did put my mask on to blend in with the sheep and play nice, but my field test of social intolerance had a good result.

They had a good selection of organic foods, and some items made for them. It just wasn't up to what I was expecting AT ALL! They did have goats milk, and I found some haricot vert green beans. If I can't find the beans elsewhere I'll be back for them. I didn't look while I was there but online they don't carry duck eggs or quail eggs.

The employees were nice. The store was clean and organized. I don't know what it was but I expected more and it didn't come anywhere near the bar I had placed in my mind.

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I got off the phone with a good friend about an hour ago. He said the Trader Joe's in Cincinnati was very good sized, much like a Kroger's or Meijer's. So perhaps Fort Wayne got a cut down "mini" version.

If so, I may need to try to see one from a bigger city, but so far my opinion of this one has not changed.

I'll look for a Whole Foods and see what one of those is like.

Regards,

Doug

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, the two stores in the Cincinnati area were both pretty nice. Haven't been to either of them in almost a year.
    A couple years ago they had an inhouse brand of Ethiopian light roast that was just awesome. Had some a couple of days ago and it was still plumb yummy.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Yeah, the two stores in the Cincinnati area were both pretty nice. Haven't been to either of them in almost a year.
    A couple years ago they had an inhouse brand of Ethiopian light roast that was just awesome. Had some a couple of days ago and it was still plumb yummy.

I can’t believe anyone in the Cincinnati area would choose a Trader Joe’s over Jungle Jim’s. Jungle Jim’s is the best grocery store I’ve ever been in.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I thought Trader Joe's and Jungle Jim's were owned by the same guy. I'm pretty sure that's what I was told by people that live there any way.
    Those two stores are the ones I'm referring to. Both were cool places to search for the fun and otherwise hard to find. When a niece came to town I whipped into the one on the north side and got her some of the spicy condiment she'd loved in Germany.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What I like about Trader Joe's
    - can buy singles of any soda, beer, or other canned/bottle drinks
    - great beer and wine selection
    - happy employees
    - some great products (yeah you have to do a bit of sampling, not everything is great)
    - not so much now, maybe due to COVID, but by far the highest ratios of hot chicks of all ages shopping at Joes
    - oh did I mention the great wine and beer selections

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    And make sure you need to pee before you go to Jungle Jim's. The two have no relationship. Last I heard Jungle Jim's had opened a second store. The guy that started Aldi in Deutschland had two sons, and he split his fortune between them. The requirement he placed on them was that they had to make sure they didn't step on each others' feet. One brother is "the Aldi guy" and runs a pretty straight operation. The other is the "Trader Joe's guy" and runs a more, shall we say "esoteric" operation. You go there for some oddball things like three buck Chuck.

I sure do miss Arrogant Bastard.

Top Bottom